Violectric / Lake People DAC RS 06
May 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #46 of 58
I bought @Jodet's RS06, and I'm very pleased with it. I have found one issue, however, which is a little annoying: It will not accept a signal from my Google Chromecast Audio. I'm trying to control Tidal through my phone, and send the 24/96 signal to the RS06 via RCA, but no dice.

The Chromecast works fine with my Denon AVR920W, so I know my unit isn't faulty.

Any suggestions?

Not quite sure what you mean by to RCA of the RS06. Though seeing as chromecast audio seem to have optical out, you might have better luck using the Optical input of the RS06 instead.

Edit: My bad, you were refering to the COAX input, well in any case my suggestion would still try to use the optical input if the COAX doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #47 of 58
Not quite sure what you mean by to RCA of the RS06. Though seeing as chromecast audio seem to have optical out, you might have better luck using the Optical input of the RS06 instead.

Edit: My bad, you were refering to the COAX input, well in any case my suggestion would still try to use the optical input if the COAX doesn't seem to work.

Yes, the optical output worked, thanks for the suggestion. I just had to pick up an optical splitter, but it's all good.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #48 of 58
Just picked up an RS06 for a very reasonable price :) The balanced outputs of this little thing really transformed my studio monitors. I was originally running them out of a Focusrite 2i4, and using the RS06, I finally understand what reviews mean when they use terms such as "soundstage, air between instruments, 3d placement".

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #49 of 58
@jbarrentine

How does it compare to the Modi Multibit?

give me a few weeks and I'll tell you how they compare to each other. I have the Modi Multibit as a sole DAC since almost a year by now and loaned a RS 06.
One thing I can say in advance is that the Modi Multibit is outstanding value and kinda confirms that DAC differences are lower in comparison to amps (from a certain level onwards) where "quality" is a bit more severely all over the place and only very few give you power, tightness, slam, punch, clarity, control, flexibility etc where you can use a planar, a HD 800 or an inear with it and not miss a thing.

One hint I can give already is that the RS 06 has more clarity than the Modi Multibit which is kinda veiled in comparison. Other stuff is harder to find out and I need more time to listen to the RS 06. Coming back from a week of cold. :[]

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #50 of 58
I did research for a while & reached a point where I can decide which to pick for HD800S (currently on nfb28-16)

I'll be picking RS-06 & V280 plus LP XLR cables

your responses here helped me, thanks!

now I'm just waiting for Synthax to reply on their email

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #51 of 58
Here's my Lake People stack.
The MPA 01 microphone preamp and ADC 04 are for recording.
I'm using a G109-P instead of an HPA 02 because the balanced inputs match the DAC and ADC.
Thanks to Arthur at Violectric USA for adding matching feet to the G109-P !

9935409_l.jpg

9935410_l.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #52 of 58
Hey david

They actually look great stacked there! I'm unsure which to go with (black or silver feet) but I was going to pick V850 if I didn't read this thread even though I don't need the additional features on it, glad I knew about the DAC RS 06. Arthur told me "that he couldn't hear any difference in sound quality between both V850 & RS 06", but if someone needs the additional features on V850 it will be worth the price. Also, he told me "that he thinks switching power supply is every bit as good now as linear supply".

I would recommend anyone to contact Arthur if they are interested in Violectric/LP products, he was really helpful with me & answered every question.

Update: bought both RS 06 & V280 with mogami xlr cable (pair) from Synthax, shipping today.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #55 of 58
I've enjoyed my RS06 quite a lot so far with a G109 amp and a DT880 250ohms! It seems to have added clarity and refinement to the treble, while also removing some "grain" that I had from the previous DAC (a cheapo Sabre ES9023 implementation). So far so good!

I'm a really lucky guy at the moment because I got to try my combo with many top end headphones from some years ago: HD800, Beyer T1, Hifiman HE-6 and HE-500. :)
The whole system scales very well and is even punchy enough to drive the HE-6 to too loud levels on most musical styles! What more could I ask for? I'm not going to change any time soon!

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #57 of 58
Hi, question for those of you with experience with the RS06 and other Lake People/Violectric gear:

I'm currently driving HD650 with a Meier Corda Jazz ff fed by an SMSL Sanskrit 6th. I really like the sound in general - the control and detail is way better than headphone outs of various receivers I have. However I find myself craving a bit more body and dimensionality (something you get in a fuzzy way with vintage receivers due to the higher output impedance, as I understand it), and from what i've read about the Lake People house sound I'm thinking something of theirs in the chain might do the trick. I'm considering upgrading the Sanskrit to the RS 06 - I know the Sanskrit is considered warm for a budget dac. Do you think I'd hear much of a difference with the HD650? When I listen to vinyl through the Jazz ff, everything is just right for me - a little more body, warmth, and dimensionality than my current digital chain. But i prefer digital for headphone listening.

My other thought was to try a Violectric or Lake People amp (V200 perhaps? The current flagship amps are a bit beyond my budget). I've listened to the HD650 on tubes and I like it, but I think i ultimately prefer the precision of solid state. And I want the HD650 to sound its best, spending a bit more for marginal/subjective qualitative improvement is not an issue for me. I haven't been tempted by current totl headphones.

If I traded out the Jazz ff, I'd miss the crossfeed feature, which is why I thought of upgrading the dac first. But if a different amp is the better move to get the sound I'm looking for, I could go that route instead.

Any insight would be appreciated!

May 9, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #58 of 58
Hi, I have used vintage 45 year old Pioneer receivers and I have the RS-06, I have not used them together. The receivers can suffer from old components with highly variable values. No DAC can fix that. I use a Woo WA7 with tube PS with my RS06. Source is Tidal Masters/HIFI. Don't have an MQA DAC yet, but I have heard it tho (sounds great!). I have listened to the Vio SS amps, which are great, but I like tube amps better. You should to headfi meet and listen to many amps.

Good luck on the audiophile hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back