Violectric / Lake People DAC RS 06
Jan 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #31 of 58
Feb 6, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 58
I just auditioned the RS-06 at CanJamNY. It was not ideal conditions, but good enough to make a purchase decision. While this is not a review, it is an impression that may be helpful to others. So the conditions were only ok in the space, but I was able to audition the following other DACs that were on my short list: Schiit Gumby, matrix x-Sabre pro, mytek b'lyn and Woo Wds-1. I had not considered the LP RS-06 until I met the USA rep the show.

The good: I used tidal and hd800 for all testing except the B'lyn.
The bad: different amps used; lots of background noise

Since the b'lyn was listened to in three ways: with Abyss HP and Woo WA5 rig, with a Cavelli Liquid Glass with Aeon HP, and as a stand alone with Aeon HP, it wad not a direct comparison. Also, it is not a dedicated DAC. Based on that, it was eliminated from contention since I did not need all that it offered (and charged for).

I spent about 2 hrs with the RS-06 and Matrix on Lake People & Violectric SS amps (thx Art Power!) Wow! The DAC chip and implementation were a bit different. One was not better than the other, just the sound signature was different. The Matrix was the latest Sabre 9038 chip. The RS-06 has multiple BB1795 chips. The Matrix was exciting, but a bit hot in the HF. Not bad; I kinda liked that. It has boat loads of resolution. On the other hand, The 06 was smooth and organic. I could see myself getting fatigued with the Matrix.

I spent about about 40 min with the Gumby connected to the Mjolnir2. It was good, but reserved and a bit too polite for me. The resolution was there, but it did not work for me. Maybe it was the amp. I'm not sure.

The Woo DAC was connected to the WA22. Well, that was the cat's meow! I suspect that it may have been more the amp than the DAC. The tubes were really great NOS that made me fall in lust (maybe as much as the WA5-almost!)

So, what did I like? All the DACs were in the same league, but I liked the RS-06 the best. That was not the best part: after I told Art Power that I was leaning toward the 06, he informed that there was a show discount. Yeah, I bought it. As I write this, I'm listening to it with my max'ed out DNA Sonett. So far, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I hope this is helpful for others. I think the take away is that this is a DAC for those that want a natural, organic sound and choice of amp has a big influence on the overall sound. As always, YMMV. BTW, I also bought the Mrspeakers Aeons; they were that good!

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #36 of 58
3Pillars it was nice meeting you. Glad to hear you're enjoying the RS 06. It would seem a lot of people were really impressed with it, especially when they heard the price. It's a no frills all performance DAC. All the new reference series Lake People models are really exceptional.

I had a great time at the show and really enjoyed meeting everyone.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #38 of 58
I have not used the USB, I use optical from a windows mobile phone running Tidal.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #40 of 58
@Gonzi Regarding your question, I believe that the resampling feature in RS-06 already does what the decrapifier does. My model has the Tenor module which support up to 24/96 and I have no problem with it so far. If your musics are not in DSD and the likes, you can skip XMOS and opt for a cheaper Tenor module (no need for driver, the company is already out of business...) to save some cost.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #41 of 58
Hello all

Is bad - little switching power supply of RS 06? V800 and V850 have linear supplies.
Does RS 06' sound like Violectric V850?

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #42 of 58
Is bad - little switching power supply of RS 06?

I don't have a V850, so I can't promise they sound the same.  But:

* A switching power supply keeps the power supply noise above the audio frequencies (no 60-cycle hum).

* The ADC RS 04 also has a switching supply, and that's a more critical application, because it's part of the recording chain.

* If you don't trust Fried to design audio equipment, you shouldn't buy Lake People / Violectric.

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #43 of 58
I bought two RS06's recently.    I bought one for my headphone system and liked it so much I bought another for my main system.

Then I converted my main system into a 'turntable' only setup so I have an extra RS06.

I'll be putting it up for sale here in a day or so.  

May 13, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #44 of 58
Retracted! Just misread the manual! :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #45 of 58
I bought @Jodet's RS06, and I'm very pleased with it. I have found one issue, however, which is a little annoying: It will not accept a signal from my Google Chromecast Audio. I'm trying to control Tidal through my phone, and send the 24/96 signal to the RS06 via RCA, but no dice.

The Chromecast works fine with my Denon AVR920W, so I know my unit isn't faulty.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back