Violectric / Lake People DAC RS 06
Apr 29, 2016 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

davidespinosa

Head-Fier
I just got a Lake People DAC RS 06.  First impressions:

1. It's really small and light.
  2. It has really cool black anodized side panels.
  3. It's really, really quiet.  I couldn't hear any hiss at all at high volume levels.
  4. It has a small turn-on transient (like a click).
  5. It has a small transient when selecting inputs (like a click).
  6. It has a medium turn-off transient.  I don't think it would damage speakers, but it's better to avoid it.
  7. There's plenty of bass.  I'd say it goes down to at least 20hz.
  8. I don't know how high it goes.  I don't trust my ears to go above 15khz.
  9. I didn't hear any bumps in the bass.
  10. I didn't hear any boost or dip in the highs.
  11. I'd say it's pretty flat.
  12. I like it enough that I ordered several more to use with a digital crossover.
  13. I also have a V800 V2, which I use directly with active speakers, since it has built-in volume control.  I haven't A/B'd the RS06 with the V800.  I know you would like me too, but I'm very busy with work and unfortunately won't have time in the next month.  They both sound flat to me, and I doubt I'll be able to hear a difference.  Speakers and headphones, sure, but good DACs, no.
  14. Tested with Audeze phones, Violectric amp.
  15. Arthur at Violectric USA was awesome as always !

Links:
http://violectric-usa.com/digital-audio-converters/rs-06
http://www.violectric.de/produktdetails/dac_rs_06.html

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 58
It seem like this unit has a smaller power supply than V850 and that will definitely contribute to the sound quality (not sure about the level of differences), but at 600 euro less, it is so tempting...

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 58
The RS 06 has a switching power supply, while the V800 and V850 have linear supplies.

To my ears, the RS 06 has *zero* hum or thermal noise.

If I add gain, I'm sure I can find some thermal noise,
but then I would go deaf when the music started !

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 58
  The RS 06 has a switching power supply, while the V800 and V850 have linear supplies.

To my ears, the RS 06 has *zero* hum or thermal noise.

If I add gain, I'm sure I can find some thermal noise,
but then I would go deaf when the music started !

That is one aspect that I really wanted to be confirmed.

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 58
I just got the RS-06 today and man, it sounds really really good.

The background is very quiet. The details and highs are beautiful. Not to mention the sound stage, even though it is not quite wide, it contains and you can feel the space between the vocalist and the band.

The separation and positioning of the instruments is so accurate that you can almost pinpoint them.

And yes, the bass is also strong in this one. ;p

Anyone compare this to the Schiit DACs?

All the Schiit Dacs that I have is Modi 2 Uber. So I cannot chime in here

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 58
thread buump!
anyone else with any experience with this dac? or get to compare it to a v800/v850?

there seems to be no reviews or anything about this new dac so love to hear thoughts on the sound

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 58
  Hello, Any impressions/ reviews on the DAC yet? how do you like it? This VS V850?

cheers!

thread buump!
anyone else with any experience with this dac? or get to compare it to a v800/v850?

there seems to be no reviews or anything about this new dac so love to hear thoughts on the sound

I just published Dave's review of the RS 06. While he doesn't have the V850 (as I bought it), he does manage to get some ideas of it.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-lake-people-dac-rs-06-stripped/

Enjoy!

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 58

I just published Dave's review of the RS 06. While he doesn't have the V850 (as I bought it), he does manage to get some ideas of it.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-lake-people-dac-rs-06-stripped/

Enjoy!

Nice review. I am in the market for V281 with remote option and more intrigued by the mention of Lake People Reference Series amp at the end.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 58
Just got this unit yesterday and I'm loving how it sounds, everything sounds so natural and the detail separation is great! I haven't had enough time to form a solid opinion about it though but so far so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 58
No response for several days. I'm hoping that means the people who have these units are so happy they just don't post anymore. 

Particularly looking for a dac that's great for human voice and midrange. Specifically I listen to a great deal of TV and Movies downloaded from the internet and while it sounds odd, I really don't mind significant investment to get the most out of it. 

edit: ended up trying out 4 different dacs including the hrt music streamer hd, the ifi idac2, the meridian director, and the schiit modi multibit.

kept the modi multibit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back