Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #226 of 1,054
I really like the bass in Audeze. I have LCD3f and ZMF Atticus and I expect Verite Closed. I'm also thinking of the new Empyrean - Elite. DAC - Matrix X Sabre Pro Mqa
With the amp you will be able to articulate the 50 shades of bass that each of your headphone is capable of producing. There is gonna be winners and losers in your headphone collections.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #228 of 1,054
I was considering purchasing a HPA V550 until I saw in the manual that “The time-lag fuse is soldered in place on the circuit board. In case, it must be replaced with a fuse of the same type only.”

Doe this imply that if the fuse blows the HPA 550 will need to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the original circuit board removed and a new circuit board containing the new fuse installed in the HPA V550?

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #229 of 1,054
I have owned a Violectric V280 for a number of years: sonically outstanding. BUT my only gripe has been the same as yours. I have wanted to switch the fuse out to a HifiTune or Synergistic Research model but cannot (or do not want to risk board damage) 😒😒.

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #230 of 1,054
I was considering purchasing a HPA V550 until I saw in the manual that “The time-lag fuse is soldered in place on the circuit board. In case, it must be replaced with a fuse of the same type only.”

Doe this imply that if the fuse blows the HPA 550 will need to be sent back to the manufacturer to have the original circuit board removed and a new circuit board containing the new fuse installed in the HPA V550?
hmmm.. interesting.... purchasing decision based on a fuse.

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #231 of 1,054
not silly, I had a fuse issue and fortunately I was able to replace the fuse myself with another amp.....

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #232 of 1,054
More like the impediment to the replacement or substitution of the fuse…

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #233 of 1,054

Not if it blows and costs several hundred dollars to replace and for the postal costs, and of course not knowing how long it will take to repair and ship back.

Plus any inconvenience needed to pack and deal with custom, as I have had to do before for my DAC which was sent to Canada for upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #234 of 1,054
not silly, I had a fuse issue and fortunately I was able to replace the fuse myself with another amp.....
Too funny :sweat_smile:!

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #235 of 1,054
I think I might have been misunderstood...what I meant to say was I had a different brand amp that allowed me to change the fuse by myself saving me the hassle of shipping back to manufacturer...

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #236 of 1,054
I think I might have been misunderstood...what I meant to say was I had a different brand amp that allowed me to change the fuse by myself saving me the hassle of shipping back to manufacturer...
Got it!

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #238 of 1,054
According to a few guys a fuse can elevate any device to upper heavens if chosen correctly. Now imagine if the guys behind kilobuck DACs and amps knew this secret. I found a particular example about the Rockna Wavelight very entertaining. Imagine Nicolae designing one of the best DACs you can buy for money and developing stuff for MSB etc. missing the last important ingredient: DA FUZE.

Especially those magical fuses from Alibaba. Imagine how much they'd be opening up the stage:

إفتح يا سمسم

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #239 of 1,054
I never could relate to this need, since life has so far denied me of such experience. is there anything to the fuse that I am missing here?

Yes, you are probably missing the fact that there is a hifi equipment manufacturer that would consider installing a fuse in a circuit board, when normally practise is to make a fuse removable because it is provided as an expected to be replaced item, if it blows it will need to be replaced, easily, quickly and cheaply.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #240 of 1,054
Yes, you are probably missing the fact that there is a hifi equipment manufacturer that would consider installing a fuse in a circuit board, when normally practise is to make a fuse removable because it is provided as an expected to be replaced item, if it blows it will need to be replaced, easily, quickly and cheaply.
+1. I wonder the reasoning behind this, and how it outweighs typical implementation of the fuse, as it certainly has its drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back