Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #211 of 1,054
I think for me the V281 just sits at the right spot of warmth. The V550/590 is if you want an AIO. I think both have the capability to bring a colorful life to a neutral headphones like the Thror, just a bit more so on V281. Truly this still amazes me. You haven't heard the side of thror until you V281 it in.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #212 of 1,054
I think for me the V281 just sits at the right spot of warmth. The V550/590 is if you want an AIO. I think both have the capability to bring a colorful life to a neutral headphones like the Thror, just a bit more so on V281. Truly this still amazes me. You haven't heard the side of thror until you V281 it in.
The V281 is a very capable amp and a piece that I’ve been proud to have and listen with. I’m glad you are enjoying yours as well.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #213 of 1,054
Hi new to this thread... Like to ask will Vio release V550² with 4.4mm output?

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #216 of 1,054
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #217 of 1,054
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #218 of 1,054
Completely agree.

I had a chance to listen to the V550 again last week and frankly both sound quite different. The V550 is a bit leaner and more airy with a cleaner/blacker background, while the V281 is more meatier and laid back; not overly warm but just "natural"/"organic". The most noticeable difference is the decay of the notes on V281 which is something I'm yet to find on another amp. Things just spring to life on the V281.

Again, this is not to say that the V550 was bad. Nah. Faaarr from it. If I was in the market for a modern amp with all the bells and whistles with performance to match, the 550 would be in my top 3 for sure😊

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #219 of 1,054
thanks, I have a few of those adapters... just that if i'm getting a TOTL HPA i'm looking for a native 4.4mm output as most of my HP and IEM cables are 4.4 terminated.

maybe I'll wait bit more whilst saving up for the V590²
Why don't you just buy a new cable for your cans with a male 4pin xlr connector on the end if you're not happy with good quality adapters.

I've come to the conclusion that 4.4mm is good as xlr but because 4.4mm works better for portable audio it's going to be more popular however i don't think using a decent quality xlr to 4.4mm adapter is going to alter your enjoyment or change the sound one bit. I have 4 sets of cans, each with seperate single ended and 4.4mm terminated cables, and xlr adapters, and i am a very happy camper.

I can highly recommend Custom Cans in the UK for all your HP cables and adapters. I don't have shares in this company but i have spent a fair bit of money with them and can testify to their cables being neutral sounding, flexible and very nicely constructed in paracord, beautifully terminated with top quality connectors, and available in a multitude of colours. Reasonably priced too.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #220 of 1,054
maybe I'll wait bit more whilst saving up for the V590²
Well if its TOTL head amp you are seeking w/4.4 pentacon there is the Niimbus US5 pro... if wanting to stay in the Lake People family of amplifier offerings.
Otherwise using an adapter (Double Helix Cables has nice ultra short amp termination adapters) is not a bad option with minimal, if any, loss in SQ. As @ROMEROTECH and others may have suggested (and what I do) is have new cables made up - but that can get pretty expensive if you have a large collection of headphones.

Honestly from reading what you described with most of your cables terminated with 4.4 - I'd go the adapter route, just a good quality like the DHC ulta short as exampled in the link provided.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #221 of 1,054
Well if its TOTL head amp you are seeking w/4.4 pentacon there is the Nimbus US5 pro... if wanting to stay in the Lake People family of amplifier offerings.
Otherwise using an adapter (Double Helix Cables has nice ultra short amp termination adapters) is not a bad option with minimal, if any, loss in SQ. As @ROMEROTECH and others may have suggested (and what I do) is have new cables made up - but that can get pretty expensive if you have a large collection of headphones.

Honestly from reading what you described with most of your cables terminated with 4.4 - I'd go the adapter route, just a good quality like the DHC ulta short as exampled in the link provided.
I have a 1.5mtr pure silver double-helix single ended cable for my HD800, it's excellent. Unfortunately i have many pairs of headphones so it's an unavoidable expense but IMHO well worth it.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #223 of 1,054
How about you tell us what headphones and DAC you use and what your reference for "loves bass" is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back