Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 13, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,172 of 5,908
Apr 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,173 of 5,908
I've been looking at the Metrum Acoustics DACs as an alternative to Chord. I had both Mojo and Hugo 2 and they didn't really do it for me; I preferred the AK SP1000.

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #4,174 of 5,908
I've been looking at the Metrum Acoustics DACs as an alternative to Chord. I had both Mojo and Hugo 2 and they didn't really do it for me; I preferred the AK SP1000.
If my experience counts, you're on the right track. I have the Metrum Menuet and to me it's a fantastic match for the V281. I have tried a couple of Chord models as well as the Yggy and ended up preferring the Menuet. The latest Metrum generation may be a further improvement over that, but I haven't tried any of them and do not intend to upgrade any time soon.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #4,175 of 5,908
Me too V281 combined with Metrum Menuet updated with dac two. Great quality. Soon I add the Lumin U1 mini streamer.:thumbsup:

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,176 of 5,908
V281 balanced with Metrum pavane is just breathtaking...add dynamic hp like utopia or adx5000 ... that's TOTL sound...:gs1000smile::L3000:

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #4,177 of 5,908
@Pharmaboy

As far as I remember you have listened to the JAR 650 a lot and know it very well by now. I've managed to get one to listen to for a while and while I find it to be a slightly better defined and refined and overall superior, the bass sticks out more compared to the regular HD 650.
I don't think it's the elevation itself (I am very sure there's more bass with the JAR 650) or alone that's sticking out to me but the combination of more bass and the technical downside of the HD650 itself as I'm simply used to much better controlled bass over the years.

Did you find yourself to be experiencing the same?

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,178 of 5,908
@Pharmaboy

As far as I remember you have listened to the JAR 650 a lot and know it very well by now. I've managed to get one to listen to for a while and while I find it to be a slightly better defined and refined and overall superior, the bass sticks out more compared to the regular HD 650.
I don't think it's the elevation itself (I am very sure there's more bass with the JAR 650) or alone that's sticking out to me but the combination of more bass and the technical downside of the HD650 itself as I'm simply used to much better controlled bass over the years.

Did you find yourself to be experiencing the same?

No, that's not the way I heard it when I compared the JAR-650 to stock HD650. That was months ago and I can no longer make the comparison. But I certainly didn't (and don't) hear the J-Mod/JAR650 bass as "sticking out" or uncontrolled. If anything, it sounded more precise, controlled, and distinct than stock.

I liked both headphones a lot, bass included. But I definitely thought the JAR-650's bass was better qualitatively.

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #4,179 of 5,908
Hi guys! We were talking earlier about choosing a DAC for the v281. So here is an update on the situation which you may find interesting.

I went to local shop today to compare the v800 DAC against my current DAC (the Fiio X3 II DAP).

THE SETUP
I set the following two audio chains:
1. Fiio X3 II DAP -> RCA Cable -> v281 -> HD800S
2. Windows PC -> USB Cable -> v800 DAC -> XLR Cable -> v281 -> HD800S

I used the same audio files on a Flash drive for the Windows PC and on the Fiio DAP's SD Card.

Volume was matched by ear by adjusting it on the v800 DAC. The volume knob of the v800 ended up being at about 1-2 o'clock.

In this setup I was able to change between DACs only by changing the input on the v281 between RCA and XLR.

Most of the time I managed to sync the song timing of the two sources perfectly.

THE RESULTS
Absolutely identical sound from the two audio chains. There was no way I could distinguish between the two. It was to the point where I started to feel like the source switching buttons don't work. It was the same as if I was pressing some random button on some unrelated audio gear in the shop, just no difference. I tried hard to distinguish between the two DACs and I did this for more than an hour with variety of different songs from different genres and recording quality.

FINAL THOUGHTS
If I was there in the shop trying only the v800 without comparing it with my current DAC I was probably going to conclude it is better. And it sounds amazing by itself. The thing is the Fiio sounds just as amazing.

As a result of this now I'm more sceptical regarding DAC differences. What I can say for sure is that in my case paying about 1000 euro for the v800 is not justified. For me this means I'll have to pass on the v850 as well as it should be similar to the v800. It is very much possible that this conclusion will be the same for at least some other people too. In that case, you could save your money and do something with it that gives you more value.

I know DACs measure differently, but it seems in some cases that difference is not audiable. Also, I'm not saying all DACs sound the same. I'm curious to try higher-end DACs and also ladder NOS DACs.

I'll probably travel to another audio store to try more stuff in the coming 1-2 weeks, including the Hugo 2, Hegel HD30, iFi Audio Pro iDSD, iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label. Also, I'm very curious to try some tube amps like the Woo Audio WA6-SE and see if it is much more engaging and musical than the v281.

As for the v281 it seems it's true TOTL amp and the difference with other less refined amps is obvious.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,180 of 5,908
Hi guys! We were talking earlier about choosing a DAC for the v281. So here is an update on the situation which you may find interesting.

I went to local shop today to compare the v800 DAC against my current DAC (the Fiio X3 II DAP).

THE SETUP

I used the same audio files on a Flash drive for the Windows PC and on the Fiio DAP's SD Card.

Volume was matched by ear by adjusting it on the v800 DAC. The volume knob of the v800 ended up being at about 1-2 o'clock.

In this setup I was able to change between DACs only by changing the input on the v281 between RCA and XLR.

Most of the time I managed to sync the song timing of the two sources perfectly.

THE RESULTS
Absolutely identical sound from the two audio chains. There was no way I could distinguish between the two. It was to the point where I started to feel like the source switching buttons don't work. It was the same as if I was pressing some random button on some unrelated audio gear in the shop, just no difference. I tried hard to distinguish between the two DACs and I did this for more than an hour with variety of different songs from different genres and recording quality.

FINAL THOUGHTS
If I was there in the shop trying only the v800 without comparing it with my current DAC I was probably going to conclude it is better. And it sounds amazing by itself. The thing is the Fiio sounds just as amazing.

As a result of this now I'm more sceptical regarding DAC differences. What I can say for sure is that in my case paying about 1000 euro for the v800 is not justified. For me this means I'll have to pass on the v850 as well as it should be similar to the v800. It is very much possible that this conclusion will be the same for at least some other people too. In that case, you could save your money and do something with it that gives you more value.

I know DACs measure differently, but it seems in some cases that difference is not audiable. Also, I'm not saying all DACs sound the same. I'm curious to try higher-end DACs and also ladder NOS DACs.

I'll probably travel to another audio store to try more stuff in the coming 1-2 weeks, including the Hugo 2, Hegel HD30, iFi Audio Pro iDSD, iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label. Also, I'm very curious to try some tube amps like the Woo Audio WA6-SE and see if it is much more engaging and musical than the v281.

As for the v281 it seems it's true TOTL amp and the difference with other less refined amps is obvious.
Interesting. My immediate thought was that the HD800s does not sound at its best with the V281. I have one but much prefer the HD800s through my Pro-Ject Head Box which is a hybrid amp. I use a Denafrips Terminator as my DAC. I can tell you it makes a night and day difference compared to the Chord TT I was using before.

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #4,181 of 5,908

THE SETUP

THE RESULTS

FINAL THOUGHTS

Wondering if not having the volume of V800 fully turned up didn't allow for all the digital information to be fully expressed.

On a positive note, happy that you finally got a chance to audition the V281 and V800.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4,182 of 5,908

THE SETUP

THE RESULTS

FINAL THOUGHTS

Thanks for the write up. Curious as to why you did not have the volume pot on the 800 all the way up? 100% out the DAC and do volume control via the amp... honestly volume should be 100,100, whatever (whatever being the amp)

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4,183 of 5,908

THE SETUP

THE RESULTS

FINAL THOUGHTS

I don't know how you can but for real comparison, run v800 with AES input and volume set at max. Please read about Dante to run V800 through AES, most probably will change your perception.

If not Dante, try Schiit Eitr to use coax

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #4,184 of 5,908
Yea, I also thought that setting the volume knob to max on the v800 might make a difference. Although, I highly doubt it that this will be a significant one.

I don't intent to try other inputs on the DAC as that would mean I have to buy some additional gear. I don't think it is justified to put even more money on signal converters when I don't hear any difference with USB. To my knowledge the USB input on the v800 is good. And if I go in that direction, I might want to buy expensive cables and even pricier signal purifiers and I don't think that is a good direction to go in this situation.

On a previous visit to the shop I could compare the v281's inner DAC with my Fiio x3 II and I also couldn't hear any difference. Although, it was with unfamiliar music and back then I thought maybe that's the reason.

The volume on the v800 wasn't on max because I wanted to volume match it with the Fiio's output. The Fiio was significantly quieter (maybe partly due to different cables used - RCA vs XLR), so I had to put the v800's volume knob at about 1-2 o'clock.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #4,185 of 5,908
I don't intent to try other inputs on the DAC as that would mean I have to buy some additional gear. I don't think it is justified to put even more money on signal converters when I don't hear any difference with USB. To my knowledge the USB input on the v800 is good.

What I can tell is that I did not merely type whatever came to my mind; I have been through this route of USB to coax/AES. With USB, you listen to more of USB implementation and less of DAC. When you have top of the line headphone amp and headphones, spend couple of hundreds on Eitr, and feel what lower noise floor can do to your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back