Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #4,081 of 5,825
Agreed, see what sounds best to you and let us know.

Regarding amp volume, I think what you heard is true for tube amps in order to increase the gain and (desirable) distortion from the tube.

Very interesting. Had no idea tube & SS amps differed in this way.

Given the gain issues in my system (typically too much), I consider it a win when I can do headphone listening in the 10AM-12PM range on the V281's big pot...which means I can do my low-volume classical streaming on monitors/sub @~8:45AM on the pot.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #4,082 of 5,825
With simple tests. I’m thinking the +12 adds bass to the Focal Clears

You are using +12 pregain with the Clears? How is your volume range?

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #4,084 of 5,825
Have a dilemma. Moon 430 or v281 combined with LCD-3F. Anyone to help me. The Dac in the Moon is good, But my Oppo 105D(upgraded) sound better so no must have there. Anyone? Listens mostly to classical, vocals, violin, piano etc.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #4,085 of 5,825
Have a dilemma. Moon 430 or v281 combined with LCD-3F. Anyone to help me. The Dac in the Moon is good, But my Oppo 105D(upgraded) sound better so no must have there. Anyone? Listens mostly to classical, vocals, violin, piano etc.

I never heard the Moon 430--and I do own the V281, so can't compare their sound. BTW, also owned a pre-fazor LCD-3, so I'm familiar w/the sonic profile there.

IMO your choice boils down to design & features:
  • Power: it looks like the V281 has 4-5X the total power of the Moon. The Moon is rated at .667 WPC @32 ohms; V281 is rated at 2.8WPC @32 ohms, with double that power (oddly) at 100ohms.
    • Power isn't everything, but with planars, power matters a lot. Not just sufficient power to get acceptable volume (may or may not be possible w/the Moon). But also excess power that somehow improves the "technicalities" of any HP.
    • V281 is the clear choice for power
  • Sonics: Can't comment on the Moon, but I can tell you that the V281 (especially run in balanced mode) has 3 outstanding attributes that match up very well w/the LCD-3: terrific bass reproduction; state-of-the-art dynamics (better than any other SS I've heard); and very expansive, immersive soundstage. The LCD-3 has exceptional bass & soundstaging, but in my experience, needs help w/dynamics. So the V281 is a great match.
    • Your sonic preferences matter here. The V281 is slightly warm (far from a goo-fest, but also far from the accentuated detail & "accuracy" of some designs). Some people prefer accuracy/detail above all else; for them, V281 is not ideal.
  • I/O flexibility: I've never used a Moon product, so can't be sure how they stack up. But the V281 is easily the most flexible, user options-rich amp I've ever used. You can listen to headphones alone; speakers alone; both together, with ability to mute either HP or line/preamp pathway via remote. You can also adjust the V281's line stage and HP stages separately to perfectly match both system gain & specific HP gain preferences (big adjustment range, too...+/- 14 db). And if you have the relay-stepped pot, you get perfect channel matching, top to bottom, 128 steps of volume adjustment (again, the best I've used).
I'm partial to the V281, as you can tell. But you can learn a lot about the Moon from others who use it; also from reviews here and in the audio press.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4,086 of 5,825

i have had both...the 281 is better and the dac in the moon isnt particularly good

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #4,087 of 5,825
I have v200 today. The Moon has så much more headroom and calm. Much more seperation of the instruments. Its not dark but somwhat laidback in å good sence. But the v200 is more on the edge. Has the 281 the same headroom as the Moon. I guess this is the main drawback of the v200. But tonality, bass, is good on the v200 but not in the same liege as the Moon. But i think i miss the tempo in the Moon.

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,088 of 5,825
the 281 balanced is a monster in terms of power and it is a very versatile amp with its pre gain functions

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #4,090 of 5,825
not much. 25%

Have you compared your experiences (more bass) to lower gain?

I am using the HE-500 balanced on the V281 (GumBy has 4V output, RS06 set to the same) at lowest pre-gain possible and the bass it pumps out is hitting very clean and very hard, authorative. I wouldn't want more for the sake of my ears. Same with the HE-5LE and HE-4, all three much more demanding than the Clear.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,091 of 5,825
I use my V281 w/-12 dB set on both line out/preamp and headphone out. Get much better system matching that way.

A little anecdote about bass of V281. For various reasons, in past couple weeks I had switched the V281 w/another amp/preamp, Audio GD's SA-31SE. It's a very competent preamp in particular, remote controlled & a very fine/granular digital volume design. I listened a lot to speakers that way, only occasionally on HPs.

Then yesterday I switched back to the V281 as preamp/amp. Turned up volume, and immediately could hear the low end fill in on the speakers--everything from lower mids on down became more present & impactful, plus the entire frequency range sounded more tangible/real and definitely more dynamic. It really wasn't subtle.

Like @Fegefeuer, I really don't need more bass than what the V281 gives me at these settings. Another way to say this: if it gave me more bass, the whole system might verge on too-bassy. As it is, it's just about perfect. This is pretty much how music sounds IRL in a good space: natural weight in lower registers & everything has dynamic impact.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #4,092 of 5,825
I tried +6 when connected to my 1266s and I was listening at around 8-oclock. 0 pregain works better for me.

The V281 is powerful. The 1266 is out of this world and I only have the Phi CC and not the TC.

I digress but I look like I'm in a torture device
..lol

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,093 of 5,825
V281 is still a superb amp. I have no complaints at all. I am very happy with it.
It pairs with all type of HPs/iems with no problem and drives every HP out there with authority and dynamics.

I know Niimbus is better on both paper & performance(user reviews) but still i feel that i've not completely explored v281. So, no more hunting SS amps for time being.

Btw V281 is a keeper. There are very few amps in the market which match its versatility.
Cheers:)

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #4,094 of 5,825
I just love the V281. It does everything extremely well, sonically & operationally.

And I, for one, totally appreciate that "shoebox" shape some complain about. If you saw my desktop (extremely crowded) you'd see why:
  • I actually built platforms to "go vertical" w/add'l components.
  • My V281 sits on a platform above the Audio GD SA-31SE (it's the only way both could fit). V281's shape couldn't be better for my particular needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back