Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,992 of 5,909
Is it easy to replace the faceplate of the V281? Currently got a silver one, but I'd like a black one.
Hi
Congrats for empyrean.
How is the pairing with v281?
I am interested in buying empyrean.
Thanks

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #3,993 of 5,909
Is it easy to replace the faceplate of the V281? Currently got a silver one, but I'd like a black one.

I would imagine so. The hardest part is actually getting one and so to do that you would need to contact either Violectric directly or Violectric America depending on your location. Shoot them an email and see about getting the part first.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3,994 of 5,909
I would imagine so. The hardest part is actually getting one and so to do that you would need to contact either Violectric directly or Violectric America depending on your location. Shoot them an email and see about getting the part first.
That would have been my next question indeed. I'll drop them an email and I'll share their reply in this topic. Thanks!

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,995 of 5,909
I can chip in on this. As I was considering replacing my front panel, I've reached out to Lake People / Violectric before and asked if it is something I can do on my own. Fried kindly took the time to reply:-

"If you have some skills in screwing it should not be a big problem to change the front panel yourself. You need some tools like an Allen (hex) key 2,5 mm and 1.5 mm, a Torx T10 and a tool (can be a pliers) for the hex nut of the potentiometers."

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #3,996 of 5,909
I can chip in on this. As I was considering replacing my front panel, I've reached out to Lake People / Violectric before and asked if it is something I can do on my own. Fried kindly took the time to reply:-

"If you have some skills in screwing it should not be a big problem to change the front panel yourself. You need some tools like an Allen (hex) key 2,5 mm and 1.5 mm, a Torx T10 and a tool (can be a pliers) for the hex nut of the potentiometers."
Thanks for sharing that! Why didn't you do it eventually? And did they tell you where you could get one?

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,997 of 5,909
It looks like just 4 hex screws as posted above with the correct dimensions. You can find a single driver with the right size at any tool store so that is not hard. WHen I ordered my V850 originally they only had gold feet and Violectric America was cool enough to swap them out before they sent my order out so I imagine parts like feet and front plates exist as spares and they just throw those parts together per order request and send them out the door. Three years later I still rock the same stack and honestly there are other things out there but this setup for me is really quite brilliant and headache free. The only thing that has ever made me a little jealous was a Eddie Current Balancing Act and of course Electrostatic offerings.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #3,998 of 5,909
Thanks for sharing that! Why didn't you do it eventually? And did they tell you where you could get one?

It was a 'to-do' that somehow got sidelined due to various reasons and your earlier post just piqued the interest to do the replacement all over again. :beerchug:

I reached out to Lake People (Europe) directly. You can try reach out to them too via their Contact Us (info@lake-poeple.de) for availability.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #4,002 of 5,909
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,003 of 5,909
wooaudio_wa5v2.jpg

V281 v Woo Audio WA5LE anyone?

I am curious how the WA5LE performs on the LCD4 mainly. Has anyone here heard that and an idea how it compares to the V281? The LCD4s need plenty of drive to sound there best, and the WA5LE apparently manages to drive the 87dB Abyss well.....

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,004 of 5,909

I am curious how the WA5LE performs on the LCD4 mainly. Has anyone here heard that and an idea how it compares to the V281? The LCD4s need plenty of drive to sound there best, and the WA5LE apparently manages to drive the 87dB Abyss well.....
I've owned both. Still own the V281. Very different sound. I prefer the WA5. I'm a tube guy though.

The WA5 is brighter but more euphoric. The V281 is a bit darker and precise.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #4,005 of 5,909

This probably belongs on the LCD-4 forum but I was just reading this review of the LCD-4 today—http://www.hdphonic.com/en/headphones/audeze-lcd-4/— and they have this to say about it with the WA5LE:
“The thrust and the yield of transients was good, just as the reconstruction of the sound scene was precise. The voices and the acoustic instruments take on a realism that gives us almost the distinct sensation of being in the same studio where the recording took place. There is a lack of materiality in the low register, but the musicality that was missing in the two previous combinations, here comes to life, giving rise to that very pleasant, warm sound full of harmonics that is typical of tubes.”
They don’t compare it to the V281 but they do seem to prefer the LCD-4’s with powerful solid state amps over tube amps. I finally bit the bullet myself and sprung for a pair of the LCD-4’s (not at full price, don’t be silly!) which I should be getting this week. Gotta say one of the great virtues of owning the V281 is that I never have to worry if it’ll power my headphones adequately or be a good match for any cans I want to try. It sounds great with everything I’ve thrown at it—probably almost 10 headphones since I bought it. Some headphones I’ve found preferable on my tube amp but it is nowhere near as versatile overall as the V281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back