Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #3,976 of 5,898
Hi folks, does anyone have experience with Lumin A1 network player + V281 combo ? Or possibly other Lumin models e.g. D1, D2 or S1 ? I know head fi member @Yoga used to have v281 + Lumin A1, but he hasnt been here (on head fi) from Jule 2018...
Thanks

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #3,977 of 5,898
Hi folks, does anyone have experience with Lumin A1 network player + V281 combo ? Or possibly other Lumin models e.g. D1, D2 or S1 ? I know head fi member @Yoga used to have v281 + Lumin A1, but he hasnt been here (on head fi) from Jule 2018...
Thanks

Busy times!

Yes, I still use the V281. I'll be selling the Lumin since I've not used it for a while now (have a 2CH studio). It's a great pairing though, very complimentary.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #3,979 of 5,898
Busy times!

Yes, I still use the V281. I'll be selling the Lumin since I've not used it for a while now (have a 2CH studio). It's a great pairing though, very complimentary.

Thanks a lot for a very quick reply Yoga ! I bought Lumin A1 in late 2017 and it has been my favourite audio device. Indeed very analogue sounding with added weight in low end, very smooth but still detailed and dynamic, especially in upsampling mode. I was wondering if Lumin + V281 would go well together... I´ve heard V281 only with Moon 260 D (cd player and DAC) and LCD 2 and LCD-X. It sounded very dynamic, detailed, 3D, airy, with excellent bass but a little bit harsh in treble with LCD-X in balanced mode. With LCD-2 the sound was great, plenty of bass slam, very nice midrange and smooth non-fatiguing treble. Soundstage was great, particularly expanded in balanced settings with fantastic airiness between vocals and instruments. Nevertheless V281 impressed me most from all headphone amps I´ve auditoned so far ( Oppo HA-1, Audio GD HE-9, Hifiman EF-6, Beyerdynamic A20, Marantz HD-DAC1, although all were on completely different rigs so take it with a grain of salt )
So I´m glad that you consider Lumin + V281 combo great and complimentary. Nice to see you around btw., Ross !

If you go this direction I would love to hear your impressions.
Well, I´m thinking about V281 as an amp for my HE1000 V2. I´ve seen a lot of people praised HEK +V281 combo so it looks tempting right now... Other options are Gilmore Lite mk2 or GSX mini. Or to save some more money and buy (second hand) Chord TT2 or even Dave but I´m not convinced its the right way as I am satisfied/ confident with Lumin as my main source and I havent been a fan of PC+DAC combos. If I eventually buy V281 I will let you know my impressions, thats for sure !

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #3,980 of 5,898
Thanks a lot for a very quick reply Yoga ! I bought Lumin A1 in late 2017 and it has been my favourite audio device. Indeed very analogue sounding with added weight in low end, very smooth but still detailed and dynamic, especially in upsampling mode. I was wondering if Lumin + V281 would go well together... I´ve heard V281 only with Moon 260 D (cd player and DAC) and LCD 2 and LCD-X. It sounded very dynamic, detailed, 3D, airy, with excellent bass but a little bit harsh in treble with LCD-X in balanced mode. With LCD-2 the sound was great, plenty of bass slam, very nice midrange and smooth non-fatiguing treble. Soundstage was great, particularly expanded in balanced settings with fantastic airiness between vocals and instruments. Nevertheless V281 impressed me most from all headphone amps I´ve auditoned so far ( Oppo HA-1, Audio GD HE-9, Hifiman EF-6, Beyerdynamic A20, Marantz HD-DAC1, although all were on completely different rigs so take it with a grain of salt )
So I´m glad that you consider Lumin + V281 combo great and complimentary. Nice to see you around btw., Ross !

I believe the V281 to be (well, since I was last here anyway!) a very underrated HP amp around here. I think it's due to it being an EU model (the US brands tend to get a lot more hype as they're more readily available). I agree with your findings, and that's exactly why it's a perfect fit for the organic/analogue Lumin A1. I had the DAC version of the Moon HP amp (430 HAD) and there is no comparison; the A1 smokes the DA. Even with the new releases from Lumin, I feel the A1 still hits the sweet spot of clarity and musicality. You need to audition the V281 with it :¬)

As you're in the EU, perhaps check out Thomann. That's where I bought my V281 (no questions asked 30 day return policy). You won't send it back though :wink:

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,981 of 5,898
I believe the V281 to be (well, since I was last here anyway!) a very underrated HP amp around here. I think it's due to it being an EU model (the US brands tend to get a lot more hype as they're more readily available). I agree with your findings, and that's exactly why it's a perfect fit for the organic/analogue Lumin A1. I had the DAC version of the Moon HP amp (430 HAD) and there is no comparison; the A1 smokes the DA. Even with the new releases from Lumin, I feel the A1 still hits the sweet spot of clarity and musicality. You need to audition the V281 with it :¬)

As you're in the EU, perhaps check out Thomann. That's where I bought my V281 (no questions asked 30 day return policy). You won't send it back though :wink:

Thanks for the tip.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,982 of 5,898
Yes, and the V281 is fabulously flexible. I don't know of any there amp in this price range with variable gain on the input and output, line out, line out with gain, line out with volume pot in circuit. And it can do +18dB gain or minus 12dB it believe.

I run mine as unity gain, so no decrease on the input, and no increase on the amp stage, and my pot is set at 7 o'clock for loud listening on the LCD4. My DAC has a high 6-10v output though. AND it has a very useful balance control for ear adjustment, that is a BIG thing on headphones IMO.

This combo smoked my Stax 009 and Carbon amp, no question. It was like a tinny transistor v a speaker tower LOL. The bass and mids, oh my.... the treble, well sounds realistic to my ears, not a plankton overload in the stats.
Though I am probably one of the few who has moved in that direction.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #3,983 of 5,898
V281 is a very versatile amp. Very beautifully explained by @astrostar59

I upgraded my DAC from Hugo2 to Metrum Acoustics Pavane Level 3 fee weeks back.

All I can say is that v281 pairs very well with pavane.

I am using lcd i4 on -12db pregain and tbh this the closest sound to analogue I have ever heard.( really close).

V281 is for life imho.

Cheers

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,984 of 5,898
I love my V281. It pairs with everything. I can't say I've ever heard a headphone sound less than excellent with it.

The I/O & gain flexibility of this device is astonishing. I've never run across another audio device that does so much so well.

As if all that weren't enough, the V281 makes a superb system preamp. I use it that way, also for HP listening (of course). The soundstaging, bass, and overall dynamics are absolutely first rate.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #3,985 of 5,898
We are proud to annouce that our amps Niimbus US 4 and Niimbus US 4+ are finally ready.

For more deteilas see
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us4-us4-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-includes-large-high-end-amp-roundup.886668/

The first series
had been shipped to our general distributor www.cma.audio
The delays had been caused by the guys machining the front panels who shocked us with 14 weeks delivery time ...
The first exhibition where the new amps had been on display was the "DEUTSCHE HIFI TAGE 2018" November 3rd + 4th in Darmstadt, Germany.
The second exhibition is the upcoming "Audiovista 2018" in Krefeld, Germany, November 24th + 25th.

Thank you, Fried Reim

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #3,986 of 5,898
I love my V281. It pairs with everything. I can't say I've ever heard a headphone sound less than excellent with it.

The I/O & gain flexibility of this device is astonishing. I've never run across another audio device that does so much so well.

As if all that weren't enough, the V281 makes a superb system preamp. I use it that way, also for HP listening (of course). The soundstaging, bass, and overall dynamics are absolutely first rate.

Have you third it as a pre-amp pass through? I have an integrated amplifier coming and need to feed my DAC line out to the V281 for my LCD4s and then press Line to send it to my new amp. It says in the manual you can set it to no pot in the circuit, but I haven't tried it yet. I guess when in that mode the headphone output would still has the pot which I would need.

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #3,987 of 5,898
We are proud to annouce that our amps Niimbus US 4 and Niimbus US 4+ are finally ready.

For more deteilas see
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nii...us4-us4-headphone-amps-by-lake-people.876018/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-includes-large-high-end-amp-roundup.886668/

The first series
had been shipped to our general distributor www.cma.audio
The delays had been caused by the guys machining the front panels who shocked us with 14 weeks delivery time ...
The first exhibition where the new amps had been on display was the "DEUTSCHE HIFI TAGE 2018" November 3rd + 4th in Darmstadt, Germany.
The second exhibition is the upcoming "Audiovista 2018" in Krefeld, Germany, November 24th + 25th.

Thank you, Fried Reim

You fancy sending me one as a demo / review item? I will pay for the shipping back. I will give it an in-depth review if it beats my V281 which I bought new 3 months ago.

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,988 of 5,898
Have you third it as a pre-amp pass through? I have an integrated amplifier coming and need to feed my DAC line out to the V281 for my LCD4s and then press Line to send it to my new amp. It says in the manual you can set it to no pot in the circuit, but I haven't tried it yet. I guess when in that mode the headphone output would still has the pot which I would need.

I just read the manual and find that it says nothing about whether the LINE out (when set to "Pre-Post Fader," which = unaffected by volume pot) has any effect on the headphone output. I doubt it would (all settings described seem to occur w/in the separate line out circuitry, not connected to HP out). But if you get it wrong, you blow up headphones + ears. So probably worth an email to Violectric for clarification.

I've used the V281 extensively as a pre-amp w/volume pot controlling both outputs--but never as preamp w/o volume control.

PRE-POST FADER or FIXED-VARIABLE
The line-out signal can be tapped at two different points within the V281’s signal path.

If you wish to make use of the input signal without any level change – for a device with its own level controls or recording purposes e.g. – the
Fixed-Out or Pre-Fader path (prior to level control) is the right choice:

In this case, the unaltered INPUT signal (prior to level control) is forwarded to the line output.

If you want to feed a power amplifier or active loudspeakers, Variable-Out or Post-Fader (including level control) should be used.

In this case, the line output provides the signal at the level set by the volume control.

The V281’s line output offers further possibilities:
- balanced-in to balanced-out
- unbalanced-in to balanced-out
- balanced-in to unbalanced-out
- unbalanced-in to unbalanced-out

[AND]

Switching between “Pre“ and “Post“ is effected via software:
Press and hold the “LINE“ pushbutton for about two seconds until the green LED starts flashing. The present status is displayed by the “XLR” LED (pre fader) or the “DIG” LED (post fader). The setting can be altered now by pressing the corresponding button. To complete the setting procedure, just press and hold the “LINE” button again until the green LED stops flashing.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #3,989 of 5,898
Many thanks for that Pharmaboy. I pressed my Line button and I have the XLR lighting up, so I am good I think, set to fixed line out. This is cool, as I currently use a passive pre-amp with a selector from my DAC to either the V281 (fixed line) or my power amp (variable line). I have the Aries Cerat SET Genus integrated coming in 6 weeks, so I can take the passive pre out of the circuit, and have one less set of interconnects in the HP feed chain. Nice!

Here is my SET amp, it is a beast, 67 kilos!
Header-Product-Page-Genus-updated.jpg

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #3,990 of 5,898
Many thanks for that Pharmaboy. I pressed my Line button and I have the XLR lighting up, so I am good I think, set to fixed line out. This is cool, as I currently use a passive pre-amp with a selector from my DAC to either the V281 (fixed line) or my power amp (variable line). I have the Aries Cerat SET Genus integrated coming in 6 weeks, so I can take the passive pre out of the circuit, and have one less set of interconnects in the HP feed chain. Nice!

Here is my SET amp, it is a beast, 67 kilos!

That is just beautiful. And immense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back