Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #3,676 of 5,909
I lost the remote of my V281. I cannot find the all-for-one model here. I am thinking of getting a logitech harmony remote so i can control my NAD m51 dac too.

Do you guys think the Logitech is that gonna work with the V281? what do you think i need to do to set up the remote with it?

IIRC it's a Philips TV code that is used for the remote. Unfortunately I don't know the exact model.

May 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #3,677 of 5,909
Also, I'm feeding my DACs with a Singxer SU-1 -- the Pontus via AES/EBU. Is that what you mean by doing something with the signal?
This should not affect the NOS DAC qualities if there is no upsampling inside or something like this (something what may change the digital data).
Clock source may be better or worse, this may affect the sound quality, but this is from the different area. Here I am talking about the digital filters/interpolation (or about its absence - NOS).
When you have 96 kHz source (or when you do upsampling) you already have interpolated signal in the audible range, so NOS architecture (and most of the digital filters) has negligible effect in this case (IMO).

May 30, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #3,682 of 5,909
I turn it off as well. Doesn't take too long to sound best. Same with DS DACs, It's different with Multibit DACs. They should stay always on to sound best or to reach/maintain thermal equilibrium.

May 30, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #3,683 of 5,909
hey guys. I just recived my v281 today but still wait for the dac to arrive. I just wonder can I leave the amp on 24/7 or it better to turn it off when not using it?

There is really no technical reason to keep it on. Some prefer to leave equipment on but at the end of the day electronics that stay on pull power and well unless you love using power for items not being used it makes little to no sense to leave it on.

If someone has a tech writeup or explanation that differs from this view when it comes to this particular amp I am always eager to read more documents and or writeups.

May 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #3,684 of 5,909
Oh, just forgot about that. I don't turn it off just because I can do it. Not because it makes anything better or something like this.
It seems like V281 needs couple of minutes to warm up, but it sounds good right from the start. So, nothing to worry about here, IMO.

May 30, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,685 of 5,909
Also, the V281 is not one of those hot-running components where you wonder if it will set the curtains on fire. Quite the opposite. It gets slightly warm at most...just sits there & does its thing.

This is one component I wouldn't hesitate to leave on.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3,686 of 5,909
t0KqHBX.jpg
view

view

Finally here. so far so good.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #3,687 of 5,909
Today I tried the v281 with my se5way iem using the se port.There are two se ports on the v281. When I plug it to the right port it have more buzze noise than the port on the left.is this normal? Or it's something wrong with my unit? I also notice there are a tiny bit noise when I run the hd800s using the balance port. I tried something but the noise still there (turn off the dac , turn off the computer).The noise wasn't there when I first go the v281. do I need a power conditioner or something ? thanks

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #3,688 of 5,909
Today I tried the v281 with my se5way iem using the se port.There are two se ports on the v281. When I plug it to the right port it have more buzze noise than the port on the left.is this normal? Or it's something wrong with my unit? I also notice there are a tiny bit noise when I run the hd800s using the balance port. I tried something but the noise still there (turn off the dac , turn off the computer).The noise wasn't there when I first go the v281. do I need a power conditioner or something ? thanks

Sounds like a ground loop issue or iffy power line... I experienced this in a meet when one quirky fellow plugged his plethora of iFi snake oil (mercury, idefender, ipower) laden hugo2 on the same power strip and caused exact same issue as you are experiencing. When he unplugged them all, the problem was gone.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,690 of 5,909
I have a question about the XLR vs SE inputs. I just picked up a Chord Qutest which is only SE outputs. I was wondering has anyone tried testing if there's a difference connecting a SE DAC using an RCA to XLR cable plugged into the XLR inputs on the amp? As opposed to regular RCA to RCA SE cables into the amp?

Of course the signal going into the amp is SE regardless of the cable or input used since it's coming from a SE DAC.

I just don't know if there would be a difference to letting the amp do it's phase conversion from the SE inputs, or using a cable that's already going into the XLR inputs?

I'm asking just in case their could be some gain in audio quality from using one or the other?

For reference I'm using the balanced HP output of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back