Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,616 of 5,908
I dont have my V281 anymore. But it was into the 12 clock range. Depends on gain setting as well.

May 1, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,617 of 5,908
Hmm.. does anyone have ADC here? It is interesting to hear the effect. Can anyone record the music fragment from line out in 96 kHz, for example, and put the link here?

May 3, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #3,619 of 5,908
What was the improvement you heard with the stepped vs the regular volume pot ?

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #3,620 of 5,908
Interesting discussion on the stepped attenuator. I purchased a used V281 and installed the attenuator upgrade. Very nice improvement in sound to my ears.
Can you elaborate on the differences? I used to have a fully loaded V281 with the stepped attenuator and now I have a base model. Don't really notice any difference, but I'm not A/Bing. Actually might even prefer the feel and no-noise factor of the alps control.

May 3, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #3,621 of 5,908
Interesting discussion on the stepped attenuator. I purchased a used V281 and installed the attenuator upgrade. Very nice improvement in sound to my ears.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the V281stepmattenuator.

Since the introduction of their first headphone amp, these nice Lake People who design the Violectric series seem to be careful at providing a step improvement for each new model or option they offered. I am sure they were well aware of the noise of the step,attenuators so this option must add a sufficient sound improvement to balance out its shortcoming.

I am glad you were in a position to find out the sonic improvement. I bought the V281 with the stepmattenuator option already in so it would be hard for me to do the reverse :). Actually, the little noise does not bother me in the least bit since it is not an indication of defect or poor quality. And I seldom mess around with the volume. I set it once and often listen to the whole symphony without messing with it again. I am also used to the clicks and pop of LP so this is no big deal.

While the V281 has just a slight remnant of the so called transistor sound—a touch of hardness in the high frequencies than can lead to fatigue in long listening—it does have an unusual warmth in the midrange (for a SS design) that pleasantly balance out the slightly analytical sound of the HD800S. In this regard, the V281 works better than the GS-X Mk2 with the HD800S. The reverse is true with the Utopia , which does not need more warmth.

Overall, I think the V281 is a very successful design and you just helped confirm that the step-attenuator was a good option.

May 3, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #3,622 of 5,908
Actually, I like the idea of the volume/gain control which is used in Lake People F355.

This device has coarse stepped attenuator (6 dB per step), and fine attenuator (1 dB per step).
Such implementation cannot be found in any headphone amp (I don't know any), so this may be slightly unusual.
But V281 and upcoming US4+ have balance control, which may be (probably) replaced with the fine attenuator.
Moreover, US4 has no balance control, so this looks like the possible option.
P.S. This is just an idea, which I personally like :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #3,623 of 5,908
Will you be in Munich, zghutov?

May 3, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #3,625 of 5,908
Can you elaborate on the differences? I used to have a fully loaded V281 with the stepped attenuator and now I have a base model. Don't really notice any difference, but I'm not A/Bing. Actually might even prefer the feel and no-noise factor of the alps control.
I also didn’t hear any difference in sound between the V281 with the stepped attenuator and the basic one .I had both for about a week to compare .I decided to keep the basic V281 because I did not need a remote control . If I would have heard a improvement in sound quality, I would have kept the one with the stepped attenuator for shure

May 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3,627 of 5,908
I also didn’t hear any difference in sound between the V281 with the stepped attenuator and the basic one .I had both for about a week to compare .I decided to keep the basic V281 because I did not need a remote control . If I would have heard a improvement in sound quality, I would have kept the one with the stepped attenuator for shure

I wish I had the same opportunity to own both and compare.

Could you elaborate a little on the associated components you used while comparing the two versions? Especially the headphones and the DAC?

Thanks!

May 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,628 of 5,908
@musicmaker I'm replying to you too. I haven't figured out how to double quote in replies....

I think the stepped volume control makes a HUGE difference in my listening case. The sound is more refined, focused, balanced, and revealing. There is a microscopes view into the micro detail that wasn't there previously. I have a pair of Audeze LCD-3s that were unlistenable on the V281, at times, with the basic volume control. The sound was bloated and muddy at times. After installing the stepped attenuator the 3s SING!!!!! I'm really impressed. Arthur from Violectric told me that the results very from person to person and not to expect night and day changes. IMO the upgrade brought the V281 to another level.

FYI I did a faceplate and the stepped volume control upgrade myself. Very easy and strait forward upgrade.

P1000114.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #3,629 of 5,908
I wish I had the same opportunity to own both and compare.

Could you elaborate a little on the associated components you used while comparing the two versions? Especially the headphones and the DAC?

Thanks!
I used the Sennheiser HD800S with Cardas clear cable and the Violectric connected by a Cardas Clear Beyond interconnect to a Chord Qutest Dac. Ifi Audio Gemini Dual Headed usb cable ,Ifi Audio iUSB micro 3.0 ,Audio Quest Diamond USB cable. Mac Computer . IPad Pro, IPhone X.

May 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #3,630 of 5,908
@musicmaker I'm replying to you too. I haven't figured out how to double quote in replies....

I think the stepped volume control makes a HUGE difference in my listening case. The sound is more refined, focused, balanced, and revealing. There is a microscopes view into the micro detail that wasn't there previously. I have a pair of Audeze LCD-3s that were unlistenable on the V281, at times, with the basic volume control. The sound was bloated and muddy at times. After installing the stepped attenuator the 3s SING!!!!! I'm really impressed. Arthur from Violectric told me that the results very from person to person and not to expect night and day changes. IMO the upgrade brought the V281 to another level.

FYI I did a faceplate and the stepped volume control upgrade myself. Very easy and strait forward upgrade.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you saw a much greater benefit than you should have with a volume control upgrade. If anything, I would expect better stereo image due to less crosstalk, more even balance, etc. But for the amp to go from "bloated and muddy" to your headphones now singing is a bit much for just a volume control upgrade. It's not like the amplification stage changed at all. Maybe there was something wrong with your amp before that got fixed when you did the volume control upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

• wmf
Back