Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,496 of 5,881
About ground-lift and other jumpers.

Decades ago we developed our system of ground-lift jumpers.
This was based on our experiences with broadcasters and other large scale installations,
some of them more, some less professional.
If every item from all manufactures was made with a metal case and equipped with a 3-pin mains cord,
all these efforts would not be necessary. But real life is not that perfect.

Let´s begin with some words about the electrical power.
Standard AC voltage all around the world is about 115 V or (more reasonable) around 230 V.
Both these voltages are dangerous for your health if touched.

The wall outlet shows two or three connectors.
1. The dangerous one is called L = Life, the color of the associated wire is black or brown
2. The other one is called N = Neutral, the wire color is blue or white.
Those both are in charge when there is some apparatus with a 2-pin plug like small (plastic) appliances or wall plug adaptors.
Please note that with such 2-pin plugs the case of an apparatus may be unsafe when a high voltage is connected
accidentally to the case and you touch it or another item which is connected to it.
3. To make an item with a metal case absolutely safe for the user there is a third wire
called E = protective earth with the color yellow/green or only green.

In some countries the relationship between these 3 contacts is mechanically fixed so that a mains plug can only be inserted in one way.
But there are also AC outlets where the mains plug may be inserted reversed and so the relationship between N and L is also reversed.

The best way for trouble-free operation is to use exclusively items with a metal case and 3-wire mains cords.
These should be operated from one mains outlet. They should have balanced inputs and outputs and shall be interconnected with balanced cables.
As soon as there are one or more unbalanced items in the chain with unbalanced (RCA) connectors and unbalanced cables a complex system
of different earth/ground levels is formed which results in currents flowing around to compensate the different ground levels.
These currents always have the frequency of you mains voltage (50 or 60 Hz) and multiples of it.
When they are high enough you can hear them as hum or buzz, long before you can measure them !

An electronic item is not powered directly from the AC mains voltage but there is something in between to generate one or more lower DC voltages.
This may be a combination of a transformer/rectifier/capacitor/voltage regulator or a switch mode supply. The latter sounds simple but may not only generate hum or buzz but additional high frequencies.

Also the internal voltage generation will form an internal reference = ground which has not necessarily something to do with the external protective earth = yellow/green wire.

Concerning professional gear with balanced ins and outs the internal ground reference is connected most time to protective earth !
But this will lead to ground loops, hum and buzz in 90 % of all cases when “consumer” gear with unbalanced ins and outs is part of the system.

So it can be helpful to modify the protective earth / ground / case relationship in order to minimize hum and buzz.

Most Lake People and Violectric gear offer more than one option.
The most effective one is the “general – ground – lift” which cuts the interconnection between the case (protective earth) and the ground potential which was formed by the internal operating voltages.
This jumper is set to “lift” position ex works as this turned out to be the best option.
If you are facing hum or you think that something may perform better, this is the key.

The jumpers associated to the XLR connectors should be left in their default position and only be moved in really hard cases of hum and buzz.
It may be that it sounds even better after some modification but this is never due to our gear (namely a headphone amp) but maybe due to the interaction with the source.

Again:
The best way to trouble free operation is:
- one mains outlet for all items in the signal chain because the effect of earth level differences is minimized
- 3-wire mains cords with proper phase indication
- metal cases for all items in the signal chain what minimizes the chances of getting hum and buzz from the outside
- balanced ins and outs and balanced interconnection

Cheers, Fried

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #3,497 of 5,881
@fdg

Fried, can you tell about the amp section in V281, please? Is it the same, comparing to V200? I mean it just have 4 V200 amps inside, or it have improved and/or tweaked design? In different reviews I saw different opinions. Innerfidelity, for example, called it "upgraded V200 circuit". Official site does not state clearly if it is the same, or was upgraded.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #3,498 of 5,881
For our opinion we developed with the amp design of V200 something hard to beat and hard to improve further.
This is what we call the V200 class.
The start is V200 with two amp sections for stereo operation.
If you like to have some bells and whistles you may chose V220.
All friends of balanced amps will go for V280 which offers 4 amps for stereo push-pull action.
A V280 with some bells and whistles amp is our current flagship amp V281.
All the above amps share a nearly identical amp circuitry which is handmade in Germany with standard high quality thru-hole components.
The future of Violectric will feature exclusively this kind of amp.
The earlier models V90, V100 and V181 are discontinued.

One class below our so called V100 amp design can be found.
These amps are sometime built with thru-hole components, sometime with surface mount components (SMC).
So the amps G100, G105, G107, G109, RS 02 and RS 08 share nearly identical amp circuitry.
They differ in features according to their specific intended use.

Another class below G103 can be found.
Here a very well reputated small integrated speaker amp is on duty.

Our 19" models F388 S/D are made with power op-amps.
In total we offer today 15 headphone amps for different needs - who offers more :)

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,499 of 5,881
Love your amps. The packaging and shipping, not so much. Speaking from personal experience. Ordered the V281. In addition to all the shipping screw ups by UPS (which I wont get into here), I was very disappointed to see the amp shipped in a single box, one side of which was completely destroyed in transit and the amp showing with its plastic wrapper when it was delivered to me. I paid over $2500 for it and find it ridiculous that it wasn't even double boxed and packaged carefully.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3,500 of 5,881
Love your amps. The packaging and shipping, not so much. Speaking from personal experience. Ordered the V281. In addition to all the shipping screw ups by UPS (which I wont get into here), I was very disappointed to see the amp shipped in a single box, one side of which was completely destroyed in transit and the amp showing with its plastic wrapper when it was delivered to me. I paid over $2500 for it and find it ridiculous that it wasn't even double boxed and packaged carefully.

Mine went back to Germany then back to me in New Zealand and it was fine.
Basically mine has traveled the planet.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,501 of 5,881
Mine went back to Germany then back to me in New Zealand and it was fine.
Basically mine has traveled the planet.

That doesn't make it right.
I know the amp is built like a tank but that doesn't mean it can be packaged carelessly.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,504 of 5,881
For our opinion we developed with the amp design of V200 something hard to beat and hard to improve further.
I have to agree with that. V200 was my first good headphone amp. I was playing with different amps after that, but V200 is still on my desk. I think my amp rolling would end up buying V281 sooner or later :)

Also, can you tell if there should be any difference in sound quality with balanced and unbalanced source for V280 or V281? I understand that balanced connection has it`s benefits, but with short interconnect wires those benefits are usually small. And the amp itself would do the same job in both cases to make a balanced headphone output? Or using balanced input for balanced output could have any SQ benefits?

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #3,505 of 5,881
The point has been made on this tread before (and elsewhere): any amp that has been designed to be balanced in terms of circuit layout & power section redundancy, will probably sound somewhat better in balanced mode than in SE mode. And that is what I hear on the V281. It's not a dramatic thing, but there are some subtle sonic differences (involving distortion/signal purity, soundstaging, dynamics & sometimes bass) between balanced & SE outputs on the same headphones (adjusting to any degree possible for the 6 dB louder output via balanced).

Occasionally an amp will be SE in design, but have a 4-pin XLR (convenience) output--ie, the output is SE, but conveyed via 3 of the 4 pins of the XLR jack. My Audio GD SA-31SE is like that. As you might expect, I can't hear any difference between the 1/4" output vs XLR.

I have compared good SE amps (Lake People G109-A) to good balanced amps (V281 & Liquid Carbon) many times. It's obviously not an exact science, since some variation in wires used is inevitable. And of course, it's pretty hard to single out the SE vs balanced factor as cause for any sonic differences heard between amps, when there are so many other things that make the amps different.

I've concluded that well designed SE amps sound wonderful; and well designed balanced amps sound wonderful + a little bit more.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,506 of 5,881
The point has been made on this tread before (and elsewhere): any amp that has been designed to be balanced in terms of circuit layout & power section redundancy, will probably sound somewhat better in balanced mode than in SE mode. And that is what I hear on the V281. It's not a dramatic thing, but there are some subtle sonic differences (involving distortion/signal purity, soundstaging, dynamics & sometimes bass) between balanced & SE outputs on the same headphones (adjusting to any degree possible for the 6 dB louder output via balanced).
Well, maybe my English isn`t good enough. I was asking different thing :)

I understand difference between SE and balanced outputs. I want to know if it would be any difference for V281 (driving headphones via balanced output) with balanced or single ended input from DAC. I know some amps are making balanced outputs only with balanced sources. Such amps would obviously have a difference. V280 and V281, as far I know, do not require balanced source to drive headphones in push-pull mode. Or I am wrong and V281 needs balanced source to be a balanced amp?

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #3,507 of 5,881
V280 and V281, as far I know, do not require balanced source to drive headphones in push-pull mode.
Both XLR and RCA inputs may be used with the headphones connected with the balanced or unbalanced cable.
The same is true for the preamp outputs. In this case the input level will be on RCA outputs, and the XLR outputs will be 6 dB higher (with unity gain via internal DIP-switches and the volume control set to "post").

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,508 of 5,881
Well, maybe my English isn`t good enough. I was asking different thing :)

I understand difference between SE and balanced outputs. I want to know if it would be any difference for V281 (driving headphones via balanced output) with balanced or single ended input from DAC. I know some amps are making balanced outputs only with balanced sources. Such amps would obviously have a difference. V280 and V281, as far I know, do not require balanced source to drive headphones in push-pull mode. Or I am wrong and V281 needs balanced source to be a balanced amp?

OK, now I understand. Sorry for the misdirect...

Unfortunately, this issue you write about (is balanced input necessary "true balanced" HP output) is one of the most argued topics on Head-Fi & elswhere. Some people insist that true balanced can only result from balanced inputs.

I would love to hear the Violectric response to that question...

All I can tell you is that I do not have any DACs with balanced outputs. I feed signal to my V281 from either an Audio GD DAC-19 or NOS 19 DAC. Despite that, I'm pretty sure the signal coming out of the V281's 4-pin XLR output is truly balanced; it's somewhat higher in level than from SE outputs, also sounds somewhat different.

I can also tell you that, wired as described from the SE DAC, my V281 outputs true balanced L & R signals through the 2 X 3-pin XLR jacks on the back. I have used it that way to power studio monitors that prefer balanced inputs, and it sounded very good indeed.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #3,509 of 5,881
Hi guys

Please guide me

Do you thinking V281 or Ican pro better for HD800S?
Can anyone comparison two amplifiers ?

Regards Mori

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #3,510 of 5,881
Has anyone compared a V281 to a Schiit Jotunheim? Any impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back