Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #3,076 of 5,908
Curious to see how the RS 05 fares against my 2nd hand USB Meister Proper Setup consisting of Schiit WYRD, DU-U8 Level 3 from an USB PCIe Card.
I think this might work with other devices too. Probably with most of them, because this is the state-of-the-art device.
At least, it works the same way with TEAC UD-501 via TOSLINK. But TEAC is not as good as V800 in direct comparison.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,078 of 5,908
Dilemma... please help me out here.

I have a possibility to exchange my trusted Taurus Mk2 (and some cash) for a V281 motorised stepped attenuator version (with DAC module, but that won't be used being inferior to both my Vega and my Mojo I suspect)

I have a hard time parting with my Taurus, which not only visually matches my Vega so beautifully, but just sounds damn good too imho.

Would you guys think this is a good deal/a solid upgrade?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #3,079 of 5,908
Never heard the Taurus, though I've read pretty extensively about it (reviews, user comments, etc). A lot of people really like it as both HP amp & system preamp.

I have a V281 sans DAC (I have other DACs that I'm nuts about, so wouldn't use a built in DAC in V281 even if it was present). I bought my V281 used; it has the motorized 128-stepped pot.

All I can say about sound is this is truly an endgame amp/preamp. It's very powerful, and sounds every bit as powerful as it is (some powerful amps don't sound powerful, but this one does). It's impressive in just about every way, including the best bass of any of my amps (just ahead of another Violectric design, the Lake People G109-A, which also has terrific bass). It has the best soundstaging I've ever heard...a little different (wider, taller) than the very good soundstaging of the Liquid Carbon. It has unusual control & I/O flexibility. It's child's play to change inputs, volume, whether line is on/off vs headphone on/off (independent control of each). There's also extensive, granular control of gain, both the line out section and the headphone amp section. It's an amazing preamp--producing the best bass & soundstaging I've ever heard from 2 different pairs of powered speakers. Finally, the balanced output is pretty amazing (on 3 different headphones)...but the SE outputs sound quite good, as well.

I'm having subtle issues w/my motorized pot & will send it for service eventually. However, this being a used unit w/multiple past owners, it may have been abused or negligently handled in the past. For example, it's probably not wise to manually "twirl" this big motorized pot a lot, since it could affect the motorized portion (just a guess).

All to say that my little issue is almost certainly sample-specific. In all my reading about the V281, I never saw any comments about this.

Other than that, from what I can tell, Violectric products are utterly bulletproof. Both the V281 & G109-A are extremely practical, smooth, competent designs that sound great.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,080 of 5,908

I have a possibility to exchange my trusted Taurus Mk2 (and some cash) for a V281 motorised stepped attenuator version (with DAC module, but that won't be used being inferior to both my Vega and my Mojo I suspect)

I have a hard time parting with my Taurus, which not only visually matches my Vega so beautifully, but just sounds damn good too imho.

Thanks!

I do not see people in a Violectric thread telling you to not do it. If you like your set up I cannot with good conciseness tell you to jump ship without at least testing and having a listening session with the V281. Chasing that imaginary dragon for the best listening experience ever is dangerous and if you enjoy what you have then you should at least have good reasons why you think the change of setup is worth it.

Also try to give the V281 a listen. Blind purchases in this hobby are always a bad idea.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #3,081 of 5,908
I do not see people in a Violectric thread telling you to not do it. If you like your set up I cannot with good conciseness tell you to jump ship without at least testing and having a listening session with the V281. Chasing that imaginary dragon for the best listening experience ever is dangerous and if you enjoy what you have then you should at least have good reasons why you think the change of setup is worth it.

Also try to give the V281 a listen. Blind purchases in this hobby are always a bad idea.

+1

Never heard the Taurus, though I've read pretty extensively about it (reviews, user comments, etc). A lot of people really like it as both HP amp & system preamp.

I have a V281 sans DAC (I have other DACs that I'm nuts about, so wouldn't use a built in DAC in V281 even if it was present). I bought my V281 used; it has the motorized 128-stepped pot.

All I can say about sound is this is truly an endgame amp/preamp. It's very powerful, and sounds every bit as powerful as it is (some powerful amps don't sound powerful, but this one does). It's impressive in just about every way, including the best bass of any of my amps (just ahead of another Violectric design, the Lake People G109-A, which also has terrific bass). It has the best soundstaging I've ever heard...a little different (wider, taller) than the very good soundstaging of the Liquid Carbon. It has unusual control & I/O flexibility. It's child's play to change inputs, volume, whether line is on/off vs headphone on/off (independent control of each). There's also extensive, granular control of gain, both the line out section and the headphone amp section. It's an amazing preamp--producing the best bass & soundstaging I've ever heard from 2 different pairs of powered speakers. Finally, the balanced output is pretty amazing (on 3 different headphones)...but the SE outputs sound quite good, as well.

I'm having subtle issues w/my motorized pot & will send it for service eventually. However, this being a used unit w/multiple past owners, it may have been abused or negligently handled in the past. For example, it's probably not wise to manually "twirl" this big motorized pot a lot, since it could affect the motorized portion (just a guess).

All to say that my little issue is almost certainly sample-specific. In all my reading about the V281, I never saw any comments about this.

Other than that, from what I can tell, Violectric products are utterly bulletproof. Both the V281 & G109-A are extremely practical, smooth, competent designs that sound great.

I agree with 13713 : If you can audition the V281 for some days within your own chain of components, with your own cans, and then let your own ears decide, that would be your best option. now. There is nothing anyone here will tell you that can top the decision you yourself will make after auditioning the unit and comparing it with the Taurus you already have... My two cents

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #3,082 of 5,908
Before I offer some review material, again, as 13713 says, nothing beats demoing. I also own the v281 but haven't heard the Taurus, and I'm inherently biased (but I will try to be fair), so I will be brief but take what I say with a huge grain of salt (I'm doing this at the risk of sounding completely uninformed about the Taurus).

Tyll does some comparisons on innerfidelity.

"
.. As good as the Taurus is, when I remove my reviewer hat and just listen for fun, I find myself using the V281 more often. I end up not wanting to analyze what I'm hearing at all, but rather just get lost in the music. ...
"
So the v281 has a bit more "musicality" and flow to it (it has a thicker note presentation and is full-bodied), while the Taurus is more analytical and lean. The v281 is warm-neutral and relaxed/smooth (yet detailed). So these two amps seem to have opposite-leaning sound signatures. So, if you love how the Taurus sounds, the v281 will do what it does very well, but differently, so it would be an excellent choice for diversifying your sound but not necessarily an evolution of what you currently have. Its like the v281 and Taurus are on different paths sound signature wise with the v281 being further down its own path, rather than the v281 being further down strictly the Taurus path.

Even though Tyll goes on to say that the v281 surpasses the Taurus in at least some ways, how you like the different sound signature compared to the Taurus is crucial.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #3,083 of 5,908
So the v281 has a bit more "musicality" and flow to it (it has a thicker note presentation and is full-bodied), while the Taurus is more analytical and lean. The v281 is warm-neutral and relaxed/smooth (yet detailed). So these two amps seem to have opposite-leaning sound signatures.

The V281 feels more relaxed and smooth, yes. But I wouldn't call the V281 thicker and more full bodied overall - the Taurus has a thicker and warmer/more up front midrange, to my ears. The V281 is a tad tighter and more polite, feels a bit darker. It also feels slightly more at ease, in control. Or as John Grandberg at innerfidelity writes in the above mentioned review: "The Taurus seems slightly more lit up, while the V281 is smoother, more dynamic, with a greater sense of musical ease". I can agree on that. I posted some impressions here, if interested :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #3,084 of 5,908
The V281 feels more relaxed and smooth, yes. But I wouldn't call the V281 thicker and more full bodied overall - the Taurus has a thicker and warmer/more up front midrange, to my ears. The V281 is a tad tighter and more polite, feels a bit darker. It also feels slightly more at ease, in control. Or as John Grandberg at innerfidelity writes in the above mentioned review: "The Taurus seems slightly more lit up, while the V281 is smoother, more dynamic, with a greater sense of musical ease". I can agree on that. I posted some impressions here, if interested :)

+1, I haven't heard the Taurus so my impressions so I probably shouldn't even bother trying to compare the two. @ardilla has a comparison of the v281 and Taurus in the review.

One thing I'm confused on is if politeness equates with less attack and dynamics, or if it something to do with presence or something else entirely. Myself I've noticed that sharp transients sound sharp on the v281, like an acoustic guitar or the slam of drums amidst a black background, but then again I have nothing else in that price range to compare it to. I thought maybe the opposite of polite would be authoritative, but tyll says the v281 is authoritative (and I think others have too), but others have also commented on the v281's politeness, so maybe the two characteristics aren't related?

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #3,085 of 5,908
+1, I haven't heard the Taurus so my impressions so I probably shouldn't even bother trying to compare the two. @ardilla has a comparison of the v281 and Taurus in the review.

One thing I'm confused on is if politeness equates with less attack and dynamics, or if it something to do with presence or something else entirely. Myself I've noticed that sharp transients sound sharp on the v281, like an acoustic guitar or the slam of drums amidst a black background, but then again I have nothing else in that price range to compare it to. I thought maybe the opposite of polite would be authoritative, but tyll says the v281 is authoritative (and I think others have too), but others have also commented on the v281's politeness, so maybe the two characteristics aren't related?

The politeness described isn't the one that implies lack of dynamics and attack at all. Maybe politeness even is a bad term to use, it's like a kind of "Martial Arts Politeness" :)

Sep 29, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #3,089 of 5,908

Thanks!

Having heard both quite extensively (before settling for the V281), I would not consider this move as an upgrade.
These amps have very similar presentation, and the only thing separating them is a bit more smoothness in V281.
If I had both Taurus and Vega, I wouldn't be tempted at all by the V281.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,090 of 5,908
+1
I agree with 13713 : If you can audition the V281 for some days within your own chain of components, with your own cans, and then let your own ears decide, that would be your best option. now. There is nothing anyone here will tell you that can top the decision you yourself will make after auditioning the unit and comparing it with the Taurus you already have... My two cents

I'm afraid that's not an option... would be awesome though.

Having heard both quite extensively (before settling for the V281), I would not consider this move as an upgrade.
These amps have very similar presentation, and the only thing separating them is a bit more smoothness in V281.
If I had both Taurus and Vega, I wouldn't be tempted at all by the V281.

Actually, my interest is twofold. The second reason, I should be probably have said earlier - my apologies for that.

1) First reason is a bit lame, and very secondary to audio quality: the remote seems just so convenient for the bedtime listen. My audio rack is in the bedroom, though not next to the bed (no space for that). I don't like digitally dropping volume on my Vega too much. (100% volume for a pleasing level in classical music (some recordings are quite silent) can well be only 50% for comfortable/safe pop music listening)

2) Second reason is more important:
I'm planning on buying LCD-4. My LCD-3 played right into the Taurus' peak power of 4500mW at 120 Ohm in balanced mode. The LCD-4 though is less efficient and 200 Ohm... Planars love current, so I'm hoping to "max out" the LCD-4's potential if I make this big a dent in my wallet. I know the V281 has more power on tap. No clue however how (or if) that translates to sound.

Does anybody have experience with the LCD-4? Is it very power hungry?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back