Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Aug 26, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #2,221 of 5,885
i bought it from beyerdynamic

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,226 of 5,885
here you find a dedicated thread for the V280:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803271/violectric-hpa-v280-slim-and-powerful-balanced-hpa

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2,227 of 5,885
  With the exception of Abyss AB-1266, probably :)

Actually 3.1w into 50 ohms is still pretty powerful! (I think the v281 is closer to 6w though).  

I've had the Abyss running off an amp at about 0.8w before and it's been enough so the v280 should more than capable.  HE-6 is the most power hungry I think so maybe not ideal for that?  Should still go pretty hard though.  Sahmen mentioned on the last page that the 281 had more than enough power for his HE6 so the 280 could probably even handle that I would say - especially since some portable amps claim to be suitable and don't reach that level of power output.  Though some people like to have massive headroom for that particular can for whatever reason.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,228 of 5,885

Actually 3.1w into 50 ohms is still pretty powerful! (I think the v281 is closer to 6w though).  

I've had the Abyss running off an amp at about 0.8w before and it's been enough so the v280 should more than capable.  HE-6 is the most power hungry I think so maybe not ideal for that?  Should still go pretty hard though.  Sahmen mentioned on the last page that the 281 had more than enough power for his HE6 so the 280 could probably even handle that I would say - especially since some portable amps claim to be suitable and don't reach that level of power output.  Though some people like to have massive headroom for that particular can for whatever reason.

I haven't heard HE-6, so I don't know. But I heard Abyss in SE mode (strange, but this was the only option in the shop). It's enough power for relaxed listening, but you cannot get loud without clipping on V281. Maybe in balanced mode this is not the case.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,229 of 5,885
  I haven't heard HE-6, so I don't know. But I heard Abyss in SE mode (strange, but this was the only option in the shop). It's enough power for relaxed listening, but you cannot get loud without clipping on V281. Maybe in balanced mode this is not the case.

I am using mine with an Abyss and something doesn't sound right there - maybe the source was clipping and the pre gain was right down or something?  I come nowhere near running out of power on the 281.  

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,230 of 5,885

I am using mine with an Abyss and something doesn't sound right there - maybe the source was clipping and the pre gain was right down or something?  I come nowhere near running out of power on the 281.  

The source was V800 connected via RCA (ex-works, 6 dBu) to V281, which was running with the default pregain settings. Abyss were connected using it's own cable via adapter to 6.3 jack (
confused_face_2.gif
). Hard clipping was after about 2 or 3 o'clock on bass in Linkin Park song. Until this level everything was alright. Maybe it's the headphones position on the head (I mean the distance), which may affect the perceptual loudness. But maybe something else... adapter, for example. It was surprising for me when I measured the schulz + neutrik (!) xlr cables (assembled in a shop), and found that they produce very large distortions similar to clipping (another cables worked well). Maybe that was the case, but I don't understand then, why there was that hard bound like in THD vs level graphs.

UPD. Anyway, I think you're right. It should be about 120 105 dB SPL from Abyss to have the clipping via V281 in SE mode.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,231 of 5,885
Very Thankful for all your advice. The Vio are nice folks tops in customer service. They send me to Kingsound Audio of HK. I am there every month. Bens Lau is now in contact with me by email and I am about to dive in to the Vio Club with the V220 and build in DAC. I love the huge volume control on the front so powerful just looking at it. Now the wait and wait and wait........

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,232 of 5,885
Im sure anyone in Australia interested in this amp is already aware of this, but you can get the v281 for AUD $1999 incl. shipping which is about 1350 euros (about 550 euros cheaper than the European price). Only available within Aus though...
http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/violectric-audio-hpa-v281-balanced-headphonepre-amplifier

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,233 of 5,885
1350€ is an attractive price... Wish we had had these here in the EU :)

Enviado desde mi H1

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,234 of 5,885
The source was V800 connected via RCA (ex-works, 6 dBu) to V281, which was running with the default pregain settings. Abyss were connected using it's own cable via adapter to 6.3 jack (
confused_face_2.gif
). Hard clipping was after about 2 or 3 o'clock on bass in Linkin Park song. Until this level everything was alright. Maybe it's the headphones position on the head (I mean the distance), which may affect the perceptual loudness. But maybe something else... adapter, for example. It was surprising for me when I measured the schulz + neutrik (!) xlr cables (assembled in a shop), and found that they produce very large distortions similar to clipping (another cables worked well). Maybe that was the case, but I don't understand then, why there was that hard bound like in THD vs level graphs.

UPD. Anyway, I think you're right. It should be about 120 dB SPL from Abyss to have the clipping via V281 in SE mode.

I would wonder if this has something to do with the fit of the Abyss rather than the performance of the amp. AFAIK the Abyss is normally demoed with the headband fully extended which may leave a large air gap on some people which will cause the bass to clip when the volume is turned up. A lot of people walk away fairly underwhelmed from an Abyss audition at a show and I wonder if this is the reason. Another member recently bought an Abyss even though he said he preferred his LCD-4 by a fair margin. Once he got the Abyss home and adjusted properly to his head, the LCD-4 was up for sale the next day. The fit can affect the sound that much. Just a theory, but I probably wouldn't blame the Vio for the bad demo..

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #2,235 of 5,885
confused_face_2.gif

UPD. Anyway, I think you're right. It should be about 120 dB SPL from Abyss to have the clipping via V281 in SE mode.

I would wonder if this has something to do with the fit of the Abyss rather than the performance of the amp. AFAIK the Abyss is normally demoed with the headband fully extended which may leave a large air gap on some people which will cause the bass to clip when the volume is turned up. A lot of people walk away fairly underwhelmed from an Abyss audition at a show and I wonder if this is the reason. Another member recently bought an Abyss even though he said he preferred his LCD-4 by a fair margin. Once he got the Abyss home and adjusted properly to his head, the LCD-4 was up for sale the next day. The fit can affect the sound that much. Just a theory, but I probably wouldn't blame the Vio for the bad demo..

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back