Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,306 of 5,825
I'm pretty tempted to get this and go balance with my HE-560 and maybe purchase the HD800 again. I'm assuming short of the HE-6 this amp shouldn't have issues driving anything else but of course correct me if I am incorrect.

Has anyone paired up this amp with the V800 dac? Also does upgrading the volume control make that much a difference? The maxed out volume control puts it at almost 3k which is significantly higher than the Ragnarok which is the other amp I'm tempted. I would save a lot of space with this amp and desk space has a huge premium with my smallish desk.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,307 of 5,825
  I'm pretty tempted to get this and go balance with my HE-560 and maybe purchase the HD800 again. I'm assuming short of the HE-6 this amp shouldn't have issues driving anything else but of course correct me if I am incorrect.

Has anyone paired up this amp with the V800 dac? Also does upgrading the volume control make that much a difference? The maxed out volume control puts it at almost 3k which is significantly higher than the Ragnarok which is the other amp I'm tempted. I would save a lot of space with this amp and desk space has a huge premium with my smallish desk.

IMO I think it should be able to drive just about anything.  Just look at those specs.  I have an Abyss plugged into mine and on +0 pre gain I listen at about 2:00 MAX (usually around 12:00).  Off a quieter source I might use +6 pre gain, but I don't think I've heard a single person say they use the +12 setting.  If you ran out of power on this thing I'd be pretty shocked.

+1 - I'd like to hear from more people pairing this amp with the v800 dac.  I've been thinking about buying it so I have the matching kit.  I noticed rawrster that you already own it, and from what Fried says about the digital volume control in project 86's review http://www.head-fi.org/t/574418/review-violectric-v800-dac, it sounds like using the digital volume control on your dac would be the way to go.  Would save you having to go the volume control upgrades.  FWIW though, I have the stock volume knob and I think it's flawless anyway.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,308 of 5,825
I never thought about the v800 volume control and forgot all about it until now. I'm not sure why the dac isn't more popular. Outside of DSD it has most of the features that is needed around here. Another bonus with this amp would be I've never had a matched pairing before in same company for dac and amp at the same time before. 

Hopefully project86 can chime in about the pairing. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #1,309 of 5,825

I'm using the v800 with the v281 (and also keeping my v200 because I like it). I've never really had any other dac besides the v800 connected with the v281 or v200. All I can say is that this combo is really good with the hd800. You should look into my previous posts in this thread for futher impressions. I use the volume control on the v281, not the v800. I always thought one should use the volume control on the amp, not the dac. What's different with the v281+v800 that I should use dac volume control?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,312 of 5,825

It does. But I'm just a fan of violectric products and I like the stack :wink:

Connect it to the pre-amp of the V281 and you have 4 SE outputs to rock with friends!

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,315 of 5,825
With more extended listening to the v281 I'm growing to love this amp. It really allows an engrossing musical experience.

Even from new it sounded very good. However there was some slight hardness on musical transients that bothered me a little (this was not something I'd previously heard with the he-500).
This transient hardness has now disappeared and the v281 sounds wonderfully refined - though very revealing and 'open' sounding.
Acoustic instruments sound so realistic and truthful. Piano sounds so tonally right with the proper weight and balance.
The noise floor seems to be dropping further away with extended use. I'm hearing subtle details, sensing the space/air of fine acoustic recordings, movments of players and mumblings as they play - sounds external to the recording venue(!) etc. Quiet music sounds so much more interesting/involving.

There may well be better pairings than the v281/he-500 - but it's hard for me to imagine. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,316 of 5,825
  With more extended listening to the v281 I'm growing to love this amp. It really allows an engrossing musical experience.

Even from new it sounded very good. However there was some slight hardness on musical transients that bothered me a little (this was not something I'd previously heard with the he-500).
This transient hardness has now disappeared and the v281 sounds wonderfully refined - though very revealing and 'open' sounding.
Acoustic instruments sound so realistic and truthful. Piano sounds so tonally right with the proper weight and balance.
The noise floor seems to be dropping further away with extended use. I'm hearing subtle details, sensing the space/air of fine acoustic recordings, movments of players and mumblings as they play - sounds external to the recording venue(!) etc. Quiet music sounds so much more interesting/involving.

There may well be better pairings than the v281/he-500 - but it's hard for me to imagine. 
smile_phones.gif

I also agree it's an incredible pairing with the HE-500 and it makes me happy I've held on to mine despite the temptation to get a 560 or 400i.  The dynamic range and impact is so right.

I also experienced the same-hardness to musicality factor - as after letting the amp run for a couple days it has really bloomed for me. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 1, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,318 of 5,825
I love Violectric amps for this. Used it just last night; a listenning session for three with a burrata, speck & a bottle of brunello.

Too bad you can't cart the amp to the gym to work all that tasty goodness off 
biggrin.gif
 Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally I've never, ever used both outputs on my V200 simultaneously, always gives problems with the volume if you use different cans.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,319 of 5,825
  Personally I've never, ever used both outputs on my V200 simultaneously, always gives problems with the volume if you use different cans.

... or different people. Yes, for two outputs to be actually useful two separate volume controls (or maybe some kind of offset for one output) would be necessary.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,320 of 5,825

Too bad you can't cart the amp to the gym to work all that tasty goodness off 
biggrin.gif
 Sorry, couldn't resist.

No worries, when it comes to good sound & music, wine and food DNAPO no reason to be shy. On the other-hand, gym  should allow you to enjoy the life (what other reason to sweat?)

Fried suggested me to put two amps in the chain to use cans with very different impedance. It’s working like a charm ever since, with no notice of coloration in the sound. Both amps are controlling the headphones connected to the HP out. I’m kinda deaf compared to the rest of the family, so I need some power to enjoy, You were right abt the HE-6 though. It needs to be amped well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back