Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #121 of 5,910
Thanks for the update Fried!

P.S. I still prefer the monochrome black. :)

May 19, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #122 of 5,910
Yeah, I'm just a fan of the design principles and ethos and of course the sound. 

I can tell you that the feel/haptics of these amps is top notch, as familiar as with the V200 and lesser models, only much grander and imposing. The volume knob is one heavy single piece, very firm and secure, and it needs to be. Plenty of High End units I tested on the show have rather loose knobs, for frickin' 1000+ Dollars. Unacceptable. 
The front panels are strong and heavy and in one piece, cut with finesse and precision like the victims of the Fookin' Legend of Gin Alley. The units are indeed like a V200/V800 combo in height but much deeper. 

Thermal design  is no problem, these amps were running for hours already when I visited with multiple headphones connected and the units were just warm. 

I like to refrain from sound impressions on a well-visited show like this as the ambience level doesn't meet the criteria of a good impression and open headphones like the HD 800 are especially vulnerable. I checked out a few headphones I know and listened to the V281 unit for a while. What struck me was the tight iron grip on the bass of the TH-900. I am very familiar with that phone and though it theoretically belongs to the easier to drive headphones the bass part of it demands a quality amp. It needs tight control and balance and it shone on the V281, effortlessly while the volume knob was laughing at me. IIRC the knob was at 8 o'clock, being loud enough and I'm never the type to drown ambience with the knob, I have a good feeling of volume control with regard to possible hearing damage but I am not a low volume listener.

On another note: The HE-560 is amazingly articulate, well-defined in imaging and the bass does what HE-400/500 didn't - yet having volume, tactile impact and the precision/texture - clearly a winner to me and the only new headphone to create a little wow effect. The built needs to be improved and it will - listened to it both at Hifiman and Violectric and it was impressive. Can't say the same about the Oppo...

May 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #125 of 5,910
HAHA classic ! As expected from a German Biker !

some more impressions from HiEnd 2014

Mr. Reim must have been a model or actor for sure
cool.gif

May 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #126 of 5,910
I'll go with the actor part :)
Not an American but still prefer the silver look, btw.

May 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #127 of 5,910
i agree the silver is really a nice fresh addition

however getting the black, photo realistic, as it looks in real life, is quite a challenge

http://www.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/vio_94Q1409.jpg
http://www.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/vio_94Q1424.jpg
http://www.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/vio_94Q1421.jpg

black with golden feets looks really nice

May 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #128 of 5,910
I changed my order, from black panel to silver one :D

May 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #130 of 5,910
I think they should make a wacky color as well.

The silver and black look great, they really do. The thing is just everyone does silver and black these days.

How about a really crazy color. How about purple? or lime green? or gold?

Something to really stand out from the sea of black and silver components is usually good for attracting customers.

May 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #131 of 5,910
I like the idea of a gold or "champagne" colored faceplate. Kinda like Marantz does (and some others too). Would I personally buy one in that color? Nope. But that's because it wouldn't match any of my other stuff. If I intended to get the V281 with built in DAC, and use it as my only component aside from headphones and a laptop..... then I'd seriously consider gold.

May 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #132 of 5,910
^^yes but that would be more expensive, usually that's done to attract customers to cheaper products, but maybe they could charge more for such a custom order, i like the idea of gold, hard gold 24k, that would be popular on the arabian peninsula
cool.gif

btw i really like the crimson color i saw on the headamp amp

and the v200 finish despite being black, it's of a nice mate fine grainy texture, like some fine stone or marble, which reminds me of the had-maestral tube amps series

May 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #133 of 5,910
Yep, red can be nice too if it's done right. Same with blue even. Those aren't for everyone but could be great for specific applications. 

And yes, the "body" of the Violectric gear has that nice Nextel coating (fun fact - Nextel was originally developed by 3M for NASA, as an interior surface for the Space Shuttle). It's unique and looks/feels great. I assume the new models have the same thing. 

May 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #134 of 5,910
one thing i didn't mention previously, but which was troubling me with the v200/v800 is that even when stacked together, when plugging the cans into the v200 i had to hold it with a hand so it doesn't move backwards, guess the feet were not really gripping, had some kind of cheap sponge underneath, ofc the low weight of the devices probably contributing the most

and the nextel feel and visual appeal was ok, perhaps a little darker shade for the black one would fit better, actually i saw a lot of color option for it on the manufacturer site

May 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #135 of 5,910
  one thing i didn't mention previously, but which was troubling me with the v200/v800 is that even when stacked together, when plugging the cans into the v200 i had to hold it with a hand so it doesn't move backwards, guess the feet were not really gripping, had some kind of cheap sponge underneath, ofc the low weight of the devices probably contributing the most

IMO, that's a complete non issue. Almost every lightweight device I've ever owned is like that. No reason to purposely make things heavier just for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back