Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 19, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,291 of 5,909
  Sorry everyone, I'm just way backed up on reviews. Still very much impressed by the V281 though! I'll get around to the full review once I'm caught up. I happen to have here the review loaner with the motorized Alps volume, sitting along side my own unit (that I ordered after falling in love with the loaner) with the maxxed out volume upgrade. I'm trying to nail down the differences and see how much improvement is achieved by the upgrade. 

thanks John ,
didn't want to rush you !
but i am waiting.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,292 of 5,909
Haven't visited this thread in a while.  Forgot how nice vioelectric gear looks.  Both the brushed silver and the black.  It's hard for me to say what sort of look they are channeling in their design, maybe someone could enlighten me.  The knobs looks very pleasant to use, whatever it is about them, they look very smooth.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,293 of 5,909
Haven't visited this thread in a while.  Forgot how nice vioelectric gear looks.  Both the brushed silver and the black.  It's hard for me to say what sort of look they are channeling in their design, maybe someone could enlighten me.  The knobs looks very pleasant to use, whatever it is about them, they look very smooth.

You can't beat a nice big, smooth knob.

Well, you can, and it can be rather fun, but this is not the place for those sorts of antics.

Sorry...couldn't resist...and it seems like it won't be long before my resistance fails and I buy one of these. I'm a bit nervous about the order process though. Anyone got any guidance? I will probably use PayPal.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,295 of 5,909
You can't beat a nice big, smooth knob.

Well, you can, and it can be rather fun, but this is not the place for those sorts of antics.

Sorry...couldn't resist...and it seems like it won't be long before my resistance fails and I buy one of these. I'm a bit nervous about the order process though. Anyone got any guidance? I will probably use PayPal.

If you are in the USA, go HERE and choose your options. Then wait for Arthur to contact you - it's that simple!

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,296 of 5,909
If you are in the USA, go HERE and choose your options. Then wait for Arthur to contact you - it's that simple!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. However, I'm actually in the UK, so I was intending to order direct from Lake People. Does anyone have experience of the payment process? I've been through the steps in the checkout, and I gather you just send the money through via PayPal or bank transfer...I'm just a bit nervous about it as it's quite a chunk of money for me. Knowing me, I'd fudge the address and send some complete random a nice gift.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,297 of 5,909
I got mine through Thomann,they're are actually cheaper than lake people's own website,they don't list all of lake people's options although I think they are available if you contact Thomann directly.Only downside I found was I had to place my order while they were out of stock to avoid the price rise and it was a month before I recieved mine.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,298 of 5,909
is it possible John/project86 ,to take the yulong da8 in the review of the Vio?
it would really help me to make a up my mind on my next purchase.
Or if you're willing to enlighten me before the review?

thanks 
Rnsto

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,300 of 5,909
  is it possible John/project86 ,to take the yulong da8 in the review of the Vio?
it would really help me to make a up my mind on my next purchase.
Or if you're willing to enlighten me before the review?

thanks 
Rnsto

Sure, I use DA8 often. It pairs well with the V281 - clean, dynamic, very "analog" sounding combo. I push the volume knob to deactivate the preamp option of the DA8 and handle everything on the V281. And I use balanced connection between the two devices because... why not? 

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,301 of 5,909

Sure, I use DA8 often. It pairs well with the V281 - clean, dynamic, very "analog" sounding combo. I push the volume knob to deactivate the preamp option of the DA8 and handle everything on the V281. And I use balanced connection between the two devices because... why not? 

thanks .
schiit bifrost /lyr/Beyer T1
Da8 /Lcd.X as of now i think the Vio 281.
Any comments on the volume pot?
that is my last question ,as for the rest i will wait for your review.

Rnsto

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,302 of 5,909

For some reason I prefer the single ended input of the v281 to the balanced input. Am using benchmark dac1 and Sennheiser hd800. On the balanced input the kids seems to take a step back while further widening the soundstage (perhaps too wide) and the vocals just got lost.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,303 of 5,909
For some reason I prefer the single ended input of the v281 to the balanced input. Am using benchmark dac1 and Sennheiser hd800. On the balanced input the kids seems to take a step back while further widening the soundstage (perhaps too wide) and the vocals just got lost.

Really? Because doesn't the balanced input just get used for noise rejection and is immediately converted back to single ended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back