Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #4,141 of 5,908
Hmm... Interesting... That sounds like the difference I hear sometimes between my Onyx rig/LP rig and the Yggy A2/V-281 rig. A wider and deeper soundstage, more airiness and more extension, and maybe detail at both ends of the spectrum, although I have never had any reason to think that the Onyx is rolling off any of the treble or its details.

I still have to combine the Onyx with the V281 in order to find out how that would comparatively work out though.

I'd be very interested in your impressions of the Onyx/V281 combination--because that's what I would use an Onyx for if I got one.

The V281 is my main preamp/headphone amp (I have others, but it's the very best).

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #4,142 of 5,908
I'd be very interested in your impressions of the Onyx/V281 combination--because that's what I would use an Onyx for if I got one.

The V281 is my main preamp/headphone amp (I have others, but it's the very best).

Cool. Will let you know when I've had the chance to swap things around for an Onyx + V281 audition. Oh, and i find the preamp stage of the V281 to be superb in its sonic output too.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #4,143 of 5,908
My V281 just arrived.

A very quick first impressions on the V281 paired with V850.

Very clean & musical, euphoric sound signature. A slight hint of warmth but very slight. Very pleasing to the ear.

Im coming from the SPL Phonitor X w/ V850. The Phonitor to me has a more analytical signature. I've been very happy with it. But my quick 10mins with the V281 has be happier with the V281.

More time needed to really get into the V281

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #4,144 of 5,908
Cool. Will let you know when I've had the chance to swap things around for an Onyx + V281 audition. Oh, and i find the preamp stage of the V281 to be superb in its sonic output too.

For real. I have 4 headphone amp/preamps, and the one I always use is the V281. It does everything--and it does everything really well.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,145 of 5,908
As I'm a very new owner of the V281, I did have a question for the seasoned V281 owners.

1. Am I correct in thinking the goal with the pre-gain DIP switches is to keep them turned off and to the lowest setting to keep the noise floor quiet?

I'm trying to get everything dialed in using a variety of feed sources, CD player, laptop computer and to my ears the pre-gain set at +6dB seems to do the trick. Is this setting too much? Will I be inviting distortion into the sound?

Please note my DAC is Violectric V850.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #4,147 of 5,908
As I'm a very new owner of the V281, I did have a question for the seasoned V281 owners.

1. Am I correct in thinking the goal with the pre-gain DIP switches is to keep them turned off and to the lowest setting to keep the noise floor quiet?

I'm trying to get everything dialed in using a variety of feed sources, CD player, laptop computer and to my ears the pre-gain set at +6dB seems to do the trick. Is this setting too much? Will I be inviting distortion into the sound?

Please note my DAC is Violectric V850.

Actually, the real ideal in setting both the pre-gain & headphone amp gain settings is achieving a system gain level that works best with one's downstream amp/speakers when preamp out is used; and with one's various headphones when headphone outputs are used.

By ideal, I mean that the V281's volume pot is more centered from lowest to highest setting (ie, 10AM to 1PM) vs all volume setting crammed on low end (ie, 8AM-11AM) or high end (2PM-5PM), where the pot is less linear. Note that if you have the 128 stepped pot, this is much less of a factor.

System gain is a product of the voltage output of one's DAC & the power/volume range of one's preamp/amp; it also interacts with the sensitivity and impedance of headphones when the headphone output is used (ie, more gain needed for high impedance/low sensitivity HPs). My DAC is rather "hot" (2.5v output rather than the usual 1.8-2.0v out), so I had to reduce both the pre-gain and headphone output gain on the V281 to keep the volume pot from cramming on the low end of the dial.

There are occasional posts here about higher gain settings working with headphone amps, incl. the V281. However, I can't hear any sonic benefits to higher gain on the V281 or any of my amps. Can't say I experimented rigorously w/any of them, but I did play with gain to know if there's a sonic difference, I'd have to put in a lot more time & effort to hear it....

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4,149 of 5,908
Actually, the real ideal in setting both the pre-gain & headphone amp gain settings is achieving a system gain level that works best with one's downstream amp/speakers when preamp out is used; and with one's various headphones when headphone outputs are used.

By ideal, I mean that the V281's volume pot is more centered from lowest to highest setting (ie, 10AM to 1PM) vs all volume setting crammed on low end (ie, 8AM-11AM) or high end (2PM-5PM), where the pot is less linear. Note that if you have the 128 stepped pot, this is much less of a factor.

System gain is a product of the voltage output of one's DAC & the power/volume range of one's preamp/amp; it also interacts with the sensitivity and impedance of headphones when the headphone output is used (ie, more gain needed for high impedance/low sensitivity HPs). My DAC is rather "hot" (2.5v output rather than the usual 1.8-2.0v out), so I had to reduce both the pre-gain and headphone output gain on the V281 to keep the volume pot from cramming on the low end of the dial.

There are occasional posts here about higher gain settings working with headphone amps, incl. the V281. However, I can't hear any sonic benefits to higher gain on the V281 or any of my amps. Can't say I experimented rigorously w/any of them, but I did play with gain to know if there's a sonic difference, I'd have to put in a lot more time & effort to hear it....

This is exactly why I knew I should ask the question. Agreed, I should be looking for system gain and a balanced gain as a whole. Currently with a variety of headphones with different impedances and in my longer term plan, with a pair of powered/active speakers. I also ultimately have a goal of adding a phono stage into the mix. I've looked at the Violectric one. And at this point, I'm happy with the brand and indeed a fan of the neo-modern/utilitarian styling of the case work. Good chance I'll go with their model.

Alot of factors involved in system gain and whole system sound. And I've not even gotten into the differences in digital record material. Hi-res digital and whatnot...

On a side note, thank goodness my DAC V850 doesn't do DSD. That would only add another layer to try to unravel. No, I'll keep simple and contrarian and be very happy with my many PCM files and web streaming.

I'm using the -6dB setting with both HD800S and the 80ohm Utopia. The Utopia's bass clarity definitely suffers with higher gain settings, being a characteristic of the headphones regardless of the amp they are paired with. I was quite surprised after discovering how much I enjoyed the HD800S using the lower setting.

A good point and just a reminder to me not to rush the process of listening closely to how my headphones perform as I experiment with pre-gain and headphone gain settings.

I'm now realizing that this isn't something that can be rushed and may indeed change as my equipment changes over time. Ultimately, it's nice to have the flexibility of being able to make tweaks to our individual systems. A micro real-time sound engineering experience.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #4,150 of 5,908
Is it normal to hear very light screechy sound when volume control is turned on V281?

Is knob so sensitive that as soon as you touch with very very light pressure, it acts up the relays inside?

Hope I am not being too paranoid. Please help.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #4,151 of 5,908
Is it normal to hear very light screechy sound when volume control is turned on V281?

Is knob so sensitive that as soon as you touch with very very light pressure, it acts up the relays inside?

Hope I am not being too paranoid. Please help.

Ah the infamous volume relay sound. I have been paranoid about it but was told its fine and after a while it won't bother you. It really is hard to do research on it as not many really talk about it.

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #4,152 of 5,908
I've had my V281, with volume relay for 3 days now and have logged about 30 hours with it. On day one it was something that I very much noticed. Day 2 less so. And I had today a day long listening session and have to say that I didnt really pay much, if any attention to it.​

More than anything, is my growing love for the sound the V281 produces. Regards of genre, this thing just sounds so darn good. For example, I've recently found this Irish public radio station, out of Limerick, Ireland. The station is called RTE Lyric FM. They web stream. There is a DJ named Bernard Clake, he has a 3 hour show called 'The Blue of the Night', every night. Anyway, this DJ plays the most diverse and well curated, mix of eclectic good music that I've heard in a very long time. I've heard a few songs I know. But by in large, he plays great music that I would never seek out myself. For example, today he played Traditional African Pygmy, melodic chanting, that was inspired by some of colonizing Western countries that have historically had a hand in this area of Africa. This is newly recorded and freshly produced music. And, I sat there listening and just had my mind wide opened to these sounds that I have never heard. And I thought to myself, damn, this amp can do it all! Because these vocals, these chants had so much power and emotion to them. I mean, this was just a great moment for me. And I was just gobsmacked and happy that this V281 was allowing this 4 min track to transport me.

So, I digress....yeah the volume relay thing. I guess it's there. But I dont really pay much attention to it.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #4,154 of 5,908
I did, both T5p 2nd gen and T1.2 2nd gen on both SE and balanced out. No reason to worry at all as the V281 laughs in their face.

The T1 actually spikes up to 1400 Ohms.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #4,155 of 5,908
I did, both T5p 2nd gen and T1.2 2nd gen on both SE and balanced out. No reason to worry at all as the V281 laughs in their face.

The T1 actually spikes up to 1400 Ohms.

Thanks! I just checked V220 vs V281 on the violectric.de and it seems there is a big difference:

V281 - 2700 mW (600 Ohm) _ 5600 dBu (100 Ohm) _ 4200 mW (50 Ohm) _ 2800 mW (32 Ohm) _ 1500 mW (16 Ohm)

V220 - 670 mW (600 Ohm) _ 3050 dBu (100 Ohm) _ 2700 mW (50 Ohm) _ 2800 mW (32 Ohm) _ 1500 mW (16 Ohm)

So for T1.2 V281 its a must... or at least much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back