Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #3,691 of 5,907
I have a question about the XLR vs SE inputs. I just picked up a Chord Qutest which is only SE outputs. I was wondering has anyone tried testing if there's a difference connecting a SE DAC using an RCA to XLR cable plugged into the XLR inputs on the amp? As opposed to regular RCA to RCA SE cables into the amp?

Of course the signal going into the amp is SE regardless of the cable or input used since it's coming from a SE DAC.

I just don't know if there would be a difference to letting the amp do it's phase conversion from the SE inputs, or using a cable that's already going into the XLR inputs?

I'm asking just in case their could be some gain in audio quality from using one or the other?

For reference I'm using the balanced HP output of the amp.
RCA and XLR inputs sound very similar, IMO.
If your DAC has RCA outputs (only) it is probably better to use RCA to RCA connection.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3,692 of 5,907
RCA and XLR inputs sound very similar, IMO.
If your DAC has RCA outputs (only) it is probably better to use RCA to RCA connection.

Thanks, right now I only have RCA's anyway, I'm curious to buy some RCA to XLR cables just to try it out but wanted to see if there's a technical reason that it wouldn't be a good idea to spend money on it.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,693 of 5,907
Thanks, right now I only have RCA's anyway, I'm curious to buy some RCA to XLR cables just to try it out but wanted to see if there's a technical reason that it wouldn't be a good idea to spend money on it.

You don't need special cables to try this. You can use your existing RCA cables if you add one of these adapters to each end before plugging into DAC (or amp, or anything else w/XLR mono inputs):

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GXM-133-RCA-XLR3M-Adaptor/dp/B000068O4D

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3,694 of 5,907
You don't need special cables to try this. You can use your existing RCA cables if you add one of these adapters to each end before plugging into DAC (or amp, or anything else w/XLR mono inputs):
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GXM-133-RCA-XLR3M-Adaptor/dp/B000068O4D
You need to test if pin 1 is NOT connected to the case of the connector!

I'm curious to buy some RCA to XLR cables just to try it out but wanted to see if there's a technical reason that it wouldn't be a good idea to spend money on it.
I don't see a reason to use XLR inputs when you have RCA source in the case of V281. But you can try it :)

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #3,695 of 5,907
I have a NAD M51 DAC with both Balanced XLR and SE outputs, both are active at the same time not running parallel.
Of course I have a V281 so I have tested the XLR vs SE.

No obvious SQ difference other than the volume difference in the inherent advantage of the XLR.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #3,696 of 5,907
Today I tried the v281 with my se5way iem using the se port.There are two se ports on the v281. When I plug it to the right port it have more buzze noise than the port on the left.is this normal? Or it's something wrong with my unit? I also notice there are a tiny bit noise when I run the hd800s using the balance port. I tried something but the noise still there (turn off the dac , turn off the computer).The noise wasn't there when I first go the v281. do I need a power conditioner or something ? thanks

If all else fails, you can try the onboard weaponery: there is a ground lift jumper on the main board, which may help eliminating these noises. Check the manual for settings.

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #3,697 of 5,907
Hi folks,

Has anyone experienced any trouble with the USB drivers for PC? Sometimes it crashes and I have to turn it off and on again. I'm using Win 10.

Using with my MacBook, it's solid as a rock.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #3,698 of 5,907
V281 converts balanced inputs to a high quality single ended signal before amping. So if you have an unbalanced source, there's no point in using rca to xlr.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,699 of 5,907
Hi folks,

Has anyone experienced any trouble with the USB drivers for PC? Sometimes it crashes and I have to turn it off and on again. I'm using Win 10.

Using with my MacBook, it's solid as a rock.

Did you try turning off the power management for the corresponding root hub?

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,701 of 5,907
alright, great to hear.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #3,702 of 5,907
Have been holding up and finally pulled the trigger on a RME-ADI-2 DAC to hook it up with my V281. Shipment is en-route.
Hope they play well together.

Setup will be PC > ADI-2 DAC > Violectric V281 > HD800S

Thank you all who have previously assisted with my queries and sharing your insights / experience. Much appreciated.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #3,703 of 5,907
Have been holding up and finally pulled the trigger on a RME-ADI-2 DAC to hook it up with my V281. Shipment is en-route.

Thank you all who have previously assisted with my queries and sharing your insights / experience. Much appreciated.

Before I got the chord qutest. I really want to get the RME dac as well but they are out of stock everywhere. My previous setup is reagular pc > chord qutest > v281 > hd800s now I get rid of the pc and use a allo usbridge instead.
dpc76gM.jpg

Attachments

• 20180627_002344.jpg
    20180627_002344.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #3,704 of 5,907

I have this setup (minus the pc) and it is pretty mind-blowing. There is such good synergy between the adi-2 dac, the V281 and the HD800S’s that having other open-back cans is starting to feel like an indulgence and not a necessity. In fact, I’d argue that there are only a handful of competitors out there for a better TOTL delta-sigma dac/solid state amp/dynamic headphone experience under $5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back