Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,544 of 5,894
I got the fully loaded v281 and I like the 128 step but I’ve never heard without so can’t confirm the worth of it.

same comment

but I recall a post several months ago by someone who owned a fully tricked out V281, getting opportunity to hear one w/o stepped pot. he said it sounded good, but subtly inferior to the stepped pot. sorry can't recall more detail.

suspect the answer is, yeah it's worth it (but not cheap...chasing perfection never is)

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #3,545 of 5,894
Anyone here who has purchased the upgrade 128 step volume pot for their V281? Was it worth it?

I got the fully loaded v281 and I like the 128 step but I’ve never heard without so can’t confirm the worth of it.

same comment

but I recall a post several months ago by someone who owned a fully tricked out V281, getting opportunity to hear one w/o stepped pot. he said it sounded good, but subtly inferior to the stepped pot. sorry can't recall more detail.

suspect the answer is, yeah it's worth it (but not cheap...chasing perfection never is)

Also look here what John Grandberg wrote at innerfidelity:
„Going one step further will cost you $580. This replaces the RK27 with a custom made 128-step relay-based unit, with .75dB intervals between each step. This one is also motorized and uses the same remote. Designer Fried Reim tells me this version "produces the best channel balance, step precision, absence of distortion, and minimized crosstalk." This is the option I chose for my own personal V281, which allowed me to handily compare with the motorized RK27 in my review loaner. Any differences to be heard? Nothing drastic, but after extensive back and forth I did hear an improvement in transparency and focus—especially at lower volumes with sensitive IEMs. At this high of a level I don't believe there are any major gains left to be had. A small improvement may sound trivial for the price, yet is more of a big deal than it might initially seem. I'll put it this way—I'm used to my electrostatic system using a KGSShv driving the Stax SR-007 or SR-4070. The "basic" V281 paired with LCD-3 or HE-6 seems like a step down from my Stax rig, while using the upgraded V281 feels closer to a sidestep. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with the stock volume solution but if you can swing the extra dough I really do recommend the upgrade.“

It’s on the second page:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/authoritative-and-potent-violectric-v281-headphone-amplifier

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,546 of 5,894
I read that review, but I tend to be rather skeptical of reviewer-recommended upgrades. I asked here to hear from customers who might have had theirs for a while. I feel like reviewers tend to love fully decked out upgraded items with little reservation, new toy syndrome-like.

Of course, as observed, most haven't experienced both the standard ALPS pot and the 128 step relay pot. 600 dollars just seems a bit excessive for such an upgrade. The standard pot is a really nice one to begin with. I'll think about it I guess. Does anyone know if you can install it yourself if you decide to upgrade post-purchase, or if it has to be installed by Violectric/Lake People?

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,547 of 5,894
Also look here what John Grandberg wrote at innerfidelity:
„Going one step further will cost you $580. This replaces the RK27 with a custom made 128-step relay-based unit, with .75dB intervals between each step. This one is also motorized and uses the same remote. Designer Fried Reim tells me this version "produces the best channel balance, step precision, absence of distortion, and minimized crosstalk." This is the option I chose for my own personal V281, which allowed me to handily compare with the motorized RK27 in my review loaner. Any differences to be heard? Nothing drastic, but after extensive back and forth I did hear an improvement in transparency and focus—especially at lower volumes with sensitive IEMs. At this high of a level I don't believe there are any major gains left to be had. A small improvement may sound trivial for the price, yet is more of a big deal than it might initially seem. I'll put it this way—I'm used to my electrostatic system using a KGSShv driving the Stax SR-007 or SR-4070. The "basic" V281 paired with LCD-3 or HE-6 seems like a step down from my Stax rig, while using the upgraded V281 feels closer to a sidestep. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with the stock volume solution but if you can swing the extra dough I really do recommend the upgrade.“

It’s on the second page:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/authoritative-and-potent-violectric-v281-headphone-amplifier
Thanks.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #3,548 of 5,894
Does anyone know if you can install it yourself if you decide to upgrade post-purchase, or if it has to be installed by Violectric/Lake People?
You can install it by yourself, but this is not as easy as to install USB PCB, for example.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,549 of 5,894
The rumors of an even higher lineup of amps are becoming true, and sooner than most of us expected they will actually ship this year. Yep, looks like we will get to see them at the High End Show in Munich.
Positioned above the Violectric series to improve upon the design even further (also in build/aesthetics), they will have their own name/branding and thus not be called Violectric Vxx or anything similar.

I'll be creating a new thread for them very soon. Very excited about their build, design and of course how they sound.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #3,551 of 5,894
Great strategy if this is true. Gimme V281 sound in a GS-X mkII like case. Goosebumps.....

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,552 of 5,894
oh, it'll be even better not only in sound but also technicalities like noise. Compared to the V281 for instance it will have about -12db less noise under max power/load. Much bigger PSU, 52.800 uF Nichikon caps, reed-relais volume control etc..

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #3,553 of 5,894
well...WOW.

Like an Easter bunny, "I'm all ears" for these new amp designs...

I created the corresponding thread now. Let's keep this for the V281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back