Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,301 of 5,900
I agree! I purchased my first serious headphone amp, the G109-A, from Violectric USA in 2016. This involved much email back & forth w/Arthur. He's very helpful & knowledgeable...I was very well treated, though the value of my purchase was probably just a fraction of what others were buying.

I get the feeling the whole company is like that...

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #3,304 of 5,900
USA customers are in very good hands with Arthur of Violectric USA. Customer service is top notch and Arthur goes above and beyond to take care of his customers if there is ever a need.
Have you had a chance to try LCD-2 Classic with v281? I read LCD phones have great synergy with v281. Mine was scheduled for today but it's now delayed till Tuesday. :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #3,305 of 5,900
Have you had a chance to try LCD-2 Classic with v281? I read LCD phones have great synergy with v281. Mine was scheduled for today but it's now delayed till Tuesday. :frowning2:
The LCD-3 and V281 is a match made in heaven. Phenomenal synergy. I have not spent much time with the LCD-2C yet as I am driving those with a SPL Phonitor 2730. I'll give it a try over the weekend and get back to you on that.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #3,307 of 5,900
Hi Guys,

I was thinking of purchasing one with sales and all, i was thinking of going stock without the options, but i thought it's best if i ask around a bit.

I saw options such as vc1, vc2 which i think means volume control, how useful is it and do i really need it?

It will be paired with Schiit Gungnir Multibit and Focal Utopia, and I listen in medium to high volume.

Other than that, this amp is has been in the market for a while, is it a good idea to wait for the successor? but I guess it will be more expensive when it comes out..

thx.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,308 of 5,900
Hi Guys,

I was thinking of purchasing one with sales and all, i was thinking of going stock without the options, but i thought it's best if i ask around a bit.

I saw options such as vc1, vc2 which i think means volume control, how useful is it and do i really need it?

It will be paired with Schiit Gungnir Multibit and Focal Utopia, and I listen in medium to high volume.

Other than that, this amp is has been in the market for a while, is it a good idea to wait for the successor? but I guess it will be more expensive when it comes out..

thx.

[background: I own a V281, purchased used, which has both a remote & a 128-step volume pot]

Prompted by your post, I checked Violectric USA to figure out what "v1" and "v2" mean. I'm guessing v1 (@~$295 add'l) = just remote control (of non-stepped/std volume pot); and v2 (@~$590 add'l) = remote control of the upgrade, 128-stepped pot.

You would only really "need" these:
  1. (remote) if your V281 would be out of arm's reach or in an awkward place to be constantly adjusting volume by hand
  2. (remote+stepped pot) if you're into pursuing ultimate sonic quality...stepped pots are said to have somewhat better channel balance and tracking across their range than non-stepped pots. They also cost more to make, and this is reflected in their price.

If I "had it to do all over again" (ie, was ordering the V281 new), I'd get the remote option (my V281 is just out of arm's reach) but not the stepped pot. Why no stepped pot? Because my stepped pot has been glitchy from day-1 in ways only a stepped pot can be glitchy. It really needs diagnostics & repair (I keep meaning to send it to Violectric USA for that). Anyway, take my comments about the stepped pot w/a grain of salt.

In fairness, there's a stepped pot on my other Violectric product (Lake People G109-A...I believe it has 43 steps), and it works extremely well. True, I sometimes wish there were more steps, but that's the nature of stepped pots.

As for waiting for a new top model, can't advise you there. Not aware of any scuttlebutt concerning an upgraded V281. I will say the V281 is the most competent, powerful, well built, flexible/easily adjusted desktop product I possess. Its sound is never less than excellent, and in some ways is spectacularly good...

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3,309 of 5,900
Hi Guys,

thx.
I have a very similar setup with Gungnir Multibit, Focal Utopia and Audeze headphones. I ordered the V281 with the remote/relay upgrade and X-MOS internal DAC. I don't regret loading it up and the special sale at the time certainly made that decision easier. :) The remote relay volume is convenient and adds a bit of transparency but adds complexity and potential source of problems down the road. The internal X-MOS DAC module is great for taking the edge off the lesser quality recordings which are loudness mastered and compressed. It is a warmer, more forgiving sounding DAC by comparison to Schiit Gungnir. The V281 stripped of options is still an outstanding headphone amp that pairs very nicely with Focal, Audeze and other headphones. I listen to V281 more often than any of my other amps. All in all, the basic model is the more rational purchase. Good luck and happy listening.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #3,310 of 5,900
Hello folks and happy holidays.

I sort of forgot this amp existed, so I thought I'd ask for thoughts. I'm considering a few amps to pair with my Chord 2Qute DAC and Audeze LCD-4's:

iCAN Pro
Wells Milo
Woo WA6-SE

I listen to a lot of Jazz, pop, hip-hop, electronic, etc. so low end performance is as important to me as detail and clarity. My budget is around $2k.

Am I in the right place? Or are the others better options? (Hoping someone has experience with any of the above along with this V281).

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,311 of 5,900
[background: I own a V281, purchased used, which has both a remote & a 128-step volume pot]

Prompted by your post, I checked Violectric USA to figure out what "v1" and "v2" mean. I'm guessing v1 (@~$295 add'l) = just remote control (of non-stepped/std volume pot); and v2 (@~$590 add'l) = remote control of the upgrade, 128-stepped pot.

You would only really "need" these:
  1. (remote) if your V281 would be out of arm's reach or in an awkward place to be constantly adjusting volume by hand
  2. (remote+stepped pot) if you're into pursuing ultimate sonic quality...stepped pots are said to have somewhat better channel balance and tracking across their range than non-stepped pots. They also cost more to make, and this is reflected in their price.

If I "had it to do all over again" (ie, was ordering the V281 new), I'd get the remote option (my V281 is just out of arm's reach) but not the stepped pot. Why no stepped pot? Because my stepped pot has been glitchy from day-1 in ways only a stepped pot can be glitchy. It really needs diagnostics & repair (I keep meaning to send it to Violectric USA for that). Anyway, take my comments about the stepped pot w/a grain of salt.

In fairness, there's a stepped pot on my other Violectric product (Lake People G109-A...I believe it has 43 steps), and it works extremely well. True, I sometimes wish there were more steps, but that's the nature of stepped pots.

As for waiting for a new top model, can't advise you there. Not aware of any scuttlebutt concerning an upgraded V281. I will say the V281 is the most competent, powerful, well built, flexible/easily adjusted desktop product I possess. Its sound is never less than excellent, and in some ways is spectacularly good...

I have a very similar setup with Gungnir Multibit, Focal Utopia and Audeze headphones. I ordered the V281 with the remote/relay upgrade and X-MOS internal DAC. I don't regret loading it up and the special sale at the time certainly made that decision easier. :) The remote relay volume is convenient and adds a bit of transparency but adds complexity and potential source of problems down the road. The internal X-MOS DAC module is great for taking the edge off the lesser quality recordings which are loudness mastered and compressed. It is a warmer, more forgiving sounding DAC by comparison to Schiit Gungnir. The V281 stripped of options is still an outstanding headphone amp that pairs very nicely with Focal, Audeze and other headphones. I listen to V281 more often than any of my other amps. All in all, the basic model is the more rational purchase. Good luck and happy listening.

These are the ultimate reply that I've been looking for, thx guys.

I'm currently using the Liquid Carbon, but I've been itching to upgrade for a while together with the DAC, the v281 seems like an excellent upgrade path

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #3,312 of 5,900

I sort of forgot this amp existed, so I thought I'd ask for thoughts. I'm considering a few amps to pair with my Chord 2Qute DAC and Audeze LCD-4's:

iCAN Pro
Wells Milo
Woo WA6-SE

I listen to a lot of Jazz, pop, hip-hop, electronic, etc. so low end performance is as important to me as detail and clarity. My budget is around $2k.

Am I in the right place? Or are the others better options? (Hoping someone has experience with any of the above along with this V281).

Thanks!

I would think twice of going with the Wells Milo if I were you(at least do some research), it seems like a "you get it or you don't" kinda amp, I've seen people praising these amp but also seen people say that they don't like it, especially for the price.
The v281, Ican Pro and the woo has excellent reputation here in headfi.

I was actually thinking of getting either the v281/v280 or the Ican pro, but from what people say Ican Pro is a good option if you like to taylor the sound a lot, while overall performance is slightly behind the v281, but if you value flexibility, you may like the iCan pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,313 of 5,900
I have the V281 as well as the LC...each does certain things the other does not. V281 is uber-competent & solid with just about every headphone, plus has a degree of operational flexibility I've never encountered before. The LC is smaller, less powerful, no bells & whistles--but makes certain headphones sing in unique ways. They're both essential in my system...

A pal just got a used iCan Pro, which he likes a lot. He's pretty familiar w/my V281 and told me the iCan isn't quite a match for it. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the iCan. It has pretty far-reaching controls/flexibility, from what I can tell.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,314 of 5,900

iCAN Pro
Wells Milo
Woo WA6-SE

Thanks!
Audeze recommends 1-4W for LCD4. Woo WA6-SE is no where near that.
Not familiar with the other two amps you mentioned but the V281 will drive the LCD4 with plenty of headroom in reserve. I love the V281 with my Audeze LCD3 and LCD2C.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,315 of 5,900
I received LCD-2C on Saturday and been burning-in last 48 hours with v281 using stock XLR cables, which I think is a great cable by by the way. First impression on the synergy with v281 is superb all the way and on every corners. I thought HD6XX was a great match with v281, but I think LCD-2C (perhaps the entire LCD line up) maybe even better match made in heaven with v281. Or, v281 so just play nicely with any headphone? Hopefully I will have time to do some serious listening tomorrow.
20171225_171203.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back