Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 30, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,761 of 5,908
warm might be what I need as I'm trying to match an amp with Focal Utopia's...everyone I ask suggests copper cables and warmer amps.

Many be try Moon Audio Neo 430 as Tyll use it as his review amp and he love Utopia with that

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,762 of 5,908
I used to have v281, but sold it because it was too dark for my taste, iFi Pro iCan has similar dynamism as v281 but is with warm signature but not as warm as v281.  If you are OK with voiding the warranty, replacing the tube with WE396A will give a more neutral presentation compared to the solid state mode of the iCan Pro, so you get two amps in one.

Could you possibly explain dark for me. I understand that you didn't like the V281 but the term dark does not make sense to me. Sorry in advance for the confusion on my part.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,763 of 5,908
Could you possibly explain dark for me. I understand that you didn't like the V281 but the term dark does not make sense to me. Sorry in advance for the confusion on my part.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/
dark A warm, mellow, excessively rich quality in reproduced sound. The audible effect of a frequency response which is clockwise-tilted across the entire range, so that output diminishes with increasing frequency. Compare "light."

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,765 of 5,908
I haven't found the V281 dark at all, more neutral-warm than being overall dark. But that's just for my setup, I'd imagine having different setups would greatly affect how dark you would perceive the V281.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,766 of 5,908
  I haven't found the V281 dark at all, more neutral-warm than being overall dark. But that's just for my setup, I'd imagine having different setups would greatly affect how dark you would perceive the V281.

+1. The V281 is a very neutral but natural sounding amp, i.e it does not sound edgy or bright unless used with components which are edgy or bright. The rest of my system is Oppo BDP-105D used as transport and Chord Hugo TT used as DAC, main headphones are Mr Speakers Ether Flow though I also use Sennheiser HD800's and Oppo PM-1's (which can be dark sounding!). I only use the balanced headphone input.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,769 of 5,908

+1. The V281 is a very neutral but natural sounding amp, i.e it does not sound edgy or bright unless used with components which are edgy or bright. The rest of my system is Oppo BDP-105D used as transport and Chord Hugo TT used as DAC, main headphones are Mr Speakers Ether Flow though I also use Sennheiser HD800's and Oppo PM-1's (which can be dark sounding!). I only use the balanced headphone input.

I use the Ether Flow's too as my main HP running it through a balanced cable, I haven't found it overly bright as compared to other amps that I've tried. Although one thing that I've noticed is that it sounds different when I use a lower gain setting, I still prefer having it with no gain switches flipped whatsoever.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,771 of 5,908
When the V200 first came out and started becoming more popular, it was labelled as "dark" by a few people in the headphone world. The label has somehow been recycled for every single one of their amps. It's total crap - they reveal exactly how the transducer was tuned and add nothing to it with full control.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,772 of 5,908
When the V200 first came out and started becoming more popular, it was labelled as "dark" by a few people in the headphone world. The label has somehow been recycled for every single one of their amps. It's total crap - they reveal exactly how the transducer was tuned and add nothing to it with full control.

Agree 100%! :thumbsup:

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,773 of 5,908
  The unbalanced headphone out of the V281 does indeed sound "dark", at least for me, coming from the Lake People G109A. Going balanced, that darkness is gone.

Just picked up a mint/used V281 & installed in system today. It has the 128-step upgrade pot + remote, but no DAC (an Audio GD NOS 19 covers that). I have it at the default/lowest gain setting. Pictures to follow.

With V281 as system preamp (driving powered speakers + sub), I listened ~30 minutes--then another 30" listening to SE output into a good-sounding budget headphone, the Marantz MPH-2 (balanced cable hasn't arrived yet, so didn't try the Ori yet).

A few preliminary observations:
  1. This is a rather amazing amp/preamp. The design & construction are so well thought out, so purposeful. There are controls for virtually every operational/sonic feature. My one & only complaint is that I can't see the little hash-mark on the big black dial, indicating setting of the volume pot (but that's easy enough to remedy). This unit gives the impression of great solidity & competence. I even like how it looks (silver faceplate/black feet)...just as I like the looks of the G109-A.
  2. As preamp, the V281 is overall the best sounding of any I've used (Matrix M Stage HPA-1; Burson Soloist; Audio GD SA-31SE)--depth & impact of the bass are spectacular. Notes seem to jump out of the speakers, even at low volumes (which means the dynamics are top-notch). While the SA-31SE is slightly more convenient as preamp (you can see exact volume settings via alphanumeric display & adjust easily w/remote), the V281 betters it sonically in terms of bass & dynamics. However, the SA-31SE has its version of sonic greatness (spectacular soundstaging, midrange finesse & note separation). More comparisons needed in those areas (in which the V281 is very good also).
  3. For headphones, the V281 has the best bass I've yet heard. Everything you could want from bass--impact, depth/reach, note texture/timbre--is here in spades. I've only done preliminary listening on 1 HP, but already I hear the widest soundstage of any unit on hand + great dynamics, top to bottom. The SA-31SE provides just a bit more finesse in the midrange, note separation, reproduction of space, etc. Then again, those qualities supposedly get even better when the V281 is used in balanced mode.

I also own the Lake People G109-A (a wonderful amp that does everything well). I'll do more comparisons between it & the V281 soon. I wouldn't call either amp "dark" -- IMO neither has rolled off treble, though both convey a richness in upper bass/lower midrange that matches what I hear in live music (many amps are voiced for "accuracy," more treble detail, etc, and usually that comes w/o lower range richness/solidity).

I would characterize both units as slightly warm, euphonic, "friendly," etc, only because they don't emphasize treble or upper midrange & fully convey the bass & lower midrange impact.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,774 of 5,908

Just picked up a mint/used V281 & installed in system today. It has the 128-step upgrade pot + remote, but no DAC (an Audio GD NOS 19 covers that). I have it at the default/lowest gain setting. Pictures to follow.

Congrats on a fantastic addition to your speaker and HP systems!!

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,775 of 5,908

With V281 as system preamp (driving powered speakers + sub), I listened ~30 minutes--then another 30" listening to SE output into a good-sounding budget headphone, the Marantz MPH-2 (balanced cable hasn't arrived yet, so didn't try the Ori yet).

A few preliminary observations:
  1. This is a rather amazing amp/preamp. The design & construction are so well thought out, so purposeful. There are controls for virtually every operational/sonic feature. My one & only complaint is that I can't see the little hash-mark on the big black dial, indicating setting of the volume pot (but that's easy enough to remedy). This unit gives the impression of great solidity & competence. I even like how it looks (silver faceplate/black feet)...just as I like the looks of the G109-A.
  2. As preamp, the V281 is overall the best sounding of any I've used (Matrix M Stage HPA-1; Burson Soloist; Audio GD SA-31SE)--depth & impact of the bass are spectacular. Notes seem to jump out of the speakers, even at low volumes (which means the dynamics are top-notch). While the SA-31SE is slightly more convenient as preamp (you can see exact volume settings via alphanumeric display & adjust easily w/remote), the V281 betters it sonically in terms of bass & dynamics. However, the SA-31SE has its version of sonic greatness (spectacular soundstaging, midrange finesse & note separation). More comparisons needed in those areas (in which the V281 is very good also).
  3. For headphones, the V281 has the best bass I've yet heard. Everything you could want from bass--impact, depth/reach, note texture/timbre--is here in spades. I've only done preliminary listening on 1 HP, but already I hear the widest soundstage of any unit on hand + great dynamics, top to bottom. The SA-31SE provides just a bit more finesse in the midrange, note separation, reproduction of space, etc. Then again, those qualities supposedly get even better when the V281 is used in balanced mode.

I also own the Lake People G109-A (a wonderful amp that does everything well). I'll do more comparisons between it & the V281 soon. I wouldn't call either amp "dark" -- IMO neither has rolled off treble, though both convey a richness in upper bass/lower midrange that matches what I hear in live music (many amps are voiced for "accuracy," more treble detail, etc, and usually that comes w/o lower range richness/solidity).

I would characterize both units as slightly warm, euphonic, "friendly," etc, only because they don't emphasize treble or upper midrange & fully convey the bass & lower midrange impact.

Congratulations on your acquisition!  I find my V281 to be a joy to turn on and it never disappoints me with it's flexibility and competence.  I've been a serial equipment flipper at times but I think that between the V281 and the WA5-LE I'm just going to enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back