Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Oct 29, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #979 of 1,098
Hi there! Is there any difference between FE and non-FE versions?
The difference between v280 and v280FE lies in the back panel and pre-gain switch.
The v280 has pre-gain switches arranged separately between the left and right XLR and RCA terminals, and has gains of -12, -6, +6, +12.
The FE has pre-gain switches grouped on the right side and has gains of -18, -6, +6, +18.
(Drop sells both v280 and FE, so it's easy to understand by comparing the back photos of each.)
The new generation violectric amplifiers have gains of -18, -6, + 6, +18, so the FE seems to have been given the same choice.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #984 of 1,098
Can anybody clarify what the manual means when it says when the RCA and XLR inputs are both present, RCA has priority? I have been using the RCA as output buffers, but I'm thinking of running my RME into my V280 and the XLR inputs are already used for my Brooklyn DAC+

Does it mean when you plug cabling into the RCA jacks there is some physical mechanism that turns off the XLR input, or is it that when the amp detects signal on both inputs, it uses RCA (I hope)... thanks

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #985 of 1,098
Can anybody clarify what the manual means when it says when the RCA and XLR inputs are both present, RCA has priority? I have been using the RCA as output buffers, but I'm thinking of running my RME into my V280 and the XLR inputs are already used for my Brooklyn DAC+

Does it mean when you plug cabling into the RCA jacks there is some physical mechanism that turns off the XLR input, or is it that when the amp detects signal on both inputs, it uses RCA (I hope)... thanks
If you set the rca as inputs again (from inside the unit as I understand you changed them to output/throughputs) then from what you have written (“rva will have priority) if both rca and xlr inputs have been plugged in then the rca will be the one being used by the unit

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #986 of 1,098
If you set the rca as inputs again (from inside the unit as I understand you changed them to output/throughputs) then from what you have written (“rva will have priority) if both rca and xlr inputs have been plugged in then the rca will be the one being used by the unit
Thanks. This doesn't make sense to me but it's what I thought. So you have to unplug the RCA cables for the XLR connections to be used, even when there is no input on the RCA cables?

Jan 24, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #987 of 1,098
Thanks. This doesn't make sense to me but it's what I thought. So you have to unplug the RCA cables for the XLR connections to be used, even when there is no input on the RCA cables?
Actually try that out.
If you change the rca to output mode and you have the rme plugged in to the v280 but turned off then surely because no signal is being fed into the amp the xlr‘s will be operating. But i am no engineer.

it won’t hurt the amp - it’s the only way to confirm i guess

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #988 of 1,098
it won’t hurt the amp - it’s the only way to confirm i guess
Well @Fegefeuer knows everything so I expect a clue stick is imminent :D

Yeah, of course I will eventually try it but it's easier if somebody knows before I pull the gear out and start switching cables around. Space is tight here...

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #989 of 1,098
It's a physical thing, independant of any signal being played. That's how it is. Plug in the RCA and XLR is quiet.

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #990 of 1,098
It's a physical thing, independant of any signal being played. That's how it is. Plug in the RCA and XLR is quiet.
Thank you! I was thinking that might be it from my memories of working on (destroying) receivers in the 1970s.

So I might be looking for another desktop amp for my RME...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back