Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Oct 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #196 of 1,098
Hi, can you post a comparison between V280 and V281? Any sonic differences?
I'm very, very interested in the V280 as I don't need the preamp function!

Sorry for he late reply. The V280 and V281 are both excellent. I just wanted the ability to run balanced out which I'm now not going to do. Think the V280 can still run unbalanced out by flipping some switches. If I still had a V280, I wouldn't bother moving to a V281. I do think the V280 was just the slightest more laid back. Larger power supply, who knows. I also like the larger volume knob but do miss the simplicity/lower profile of the V280.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #197 of 1,098
Sorry for he late reply. The V280 and V281 are both excellent. I just wanted the ability to run balanced out which I'm now not going to do. Think the V280 can still run unbalanced out by flipping some switches. If I still had a V280, I wouldn't bother moving to a V281. I do think the V280 was just the slightest more laid back. Larger power supply, who knows. I also like the larger volume knob but do miss the simplicity/lower profile of the V280.
Thanks a lot. Can I also ask you if you ever compared it with a Cavalli Liquid Carbon?
I know... just trying my luck!

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #202 of 1,098
Pulled the trigger today on a V280 using the Black-25 Thanksgiving code. 25% off with free shipping. To say I’m excited is an understatement!

I’ve been researching my amp upgrade all year and I’m confident this Violectric will do the job. Did the prep work in advance on the balanced cable for my HD800. Thanks to all the fine people at head-fi for helping me reach end-game nirvana.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #203 of 1,098
Have not done a review yet, but my 280 is purring. Seems like a end game solid state balanced amp. Spending more might give you minimal gains . Just spend the $1500 and be done with your solid state search.

In the headphone industry CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT SO GOOD.
Violectric USA customer service is TOP NOTCH!
Arthur will address ANY and ALL questions unbiased IMMEDIATELY!
Thx For all your help Arthur. Truly a class act.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #204 of 1,098
The V280 is not an inexpensive amp, but with the Black Friday price I'd call it a real bargain. The thing I find is that the longer I have it the more I like it. I've had it a year now and have zero interest in other amps.

There are five gain settings, adjustable in 6db increments. That combined with the incredibly precise volume pot lets you set your volume just the way you like it. That's a feature that you'll really miss if you use another amp.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #206 of 1,098
Can anyone describe the differences between the tenor and xmos usb DACs?

On macOS, Tenor requires a driver, but XMOS doesn't.
On Windows XP, Tenor runs but XMOS doesn't.

There may be other issues. You can google tenor vs xmos.

Here's the driver download page from Violectric USA:

Violectric 24/192 Microsoft XMOS *Windows 7 ~ 10
Violectric 24/192 Apple OS-X XMOS *NO DRIVER REQUIRED
Violectric 24/192 Linux XMOS *NO DRIVER REQUIRED

Violectric 24/192 Microsoft TENOR *Windows XP ~ 10
Violectric 24/192 Apple OS-X TENOR *High Sierra
Violectric 24/192 Linux TENOR *NO DRIVER REQUIRED

http://violectric-usa.com/downloads
http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-tenor
http://violectric-usa.com/accessories/usb-24-192-xmos

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #207 of 1,098
The V280 has exceeded my expectations! I’m just beaming end to end at how great it turned out to be. Clarity, expanse - it is all there just as others have said! I’m really happy I took that final step and switched to balanced with the HD800. For me, it was like the last mile in a marathon. Staying SE and going V200 would have been easier but not as satisfying and I would have had upgraditis soon enough, I bet!

I’m running my V280 with a Volex 14AWG shielded power cable (~$15) on an Isobar 6 Ultra (~$45). I also blinged it out with some hefty Cardas XLR caps for now.

Two end-game components down... Only the DAC remains on my list. I might get lucky and have something new to choose from in 2018!

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #208 of 1,098
The V280 has exceeded my expectations! I’m just beaming end to end at how great it turned out to be. Clarity, expanse - it is all there just as others have said! I’m really happy I took that final step and switched to balanced with the HD800. For me, it was like the last mile in a marathon. Staying SE and going V200 would have been easier but not as satisfying and I would have had upgraditis soon enough, I bet!

I’m running my V280 with a Volex 14AWG shielded power cable (~$15) on an Isobar 6 Ultra (~$45). I also blinged it out with some hefty Cardas XLR caps for now.

Two end-game components down... Only the DAC remains on my list. I might get lucky and have something new to choose from in 2018!

I am happy with my Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro DAC in my system, which is as follows-: PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport => Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro DAC => Violectric V280 headphone amplifier => HiFiMan Susvara headphones.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #210 of 1,098
I received my HPA V280 and Sennheiser HD800S just over a week ago. I love this amp. Through the balanced output the sound is so good. The highs are extended but never harsh, the mids have a slight warmth to them and the bass is tight and accurate. This amp is never fatiguing. Smooth, detailed and accurate. I am listening to my HD600’s with the SE output and have never heard these phones sound this good. I have around 50 hours on it and it has sounded great from the start but has opened a bit to me. It was a bit overly warm and soft for the first 30+ hours. I am so happy with this purchase. Headphones, check, amp, check, dac next. Too much fun! If you are looking for a top of the line amp this is one to look at. Great sound and a shout out to Arthur at Violectric USA. He responded to an email at around 1 in the morning. He helped me choose between this amp and the 281. He said they sound the same, I was sold. Very fast shipping too. It shipped from Germany and I received it 3 days later in America. Great company to deal with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back