Violectric HPA V280 - balanced headphone amp - impressions and discussion thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #121 of 1,098
  Hello Music friends!

I just stepped in this thread. I'm planing to buy a Violectric Amp to pair with Senn HD 800.
I just cannot figured out in there are any real differences between V280 and V281.
I saw that the 281 has a little more power in 300 and 600 ohm.
But those differences in be audible in different sound signatures?
I cannot test those amp cause a live in Brasil.
So, it's a lot of money ( 1 dollar = 3,3 Brasilian Real)

Almost forgot. I use my HD800 with a lyr1 since 2014. Sometimes I feel this a good match, and sometimes i just cannot end the music tracks (lack of bass and excessive treble)

Any help its very welcome!

happy new year for all

david
beerchug.gif

All violectric/lake people amps even the cheapest one should have no problems driving HD800. It's not a difficult load to drive and violectric amps have more than enough voltage swing. They all have very good noise and distortion measurements.

Between V280 and V281. The difference as you said is the power which you will definitely not use with HD800. However, if you think you are going to need the pre-amp features of V281 and by all means go ahead go big with V281.

Another thing to consider, is both V28x amps are fully balanced topologies. Unless you use them in balanced setup then either of them is overkill. You need a DAC that has balanced output and need to terminate your headphones balanced.

If you don't care too much with balanced topologies then perhaps you should look at V200 instead. Still overkill imo for HD800. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #124 of 1,098
cable cooker? 

really curious how the RWA would sound with the AKG K701 which itself has a huge hole in the middle. Would left and right be behind your head? the first back surround only headphone :evil:  

Happy new year Fegefeuer

I was wondering if you could help me choose between the violectrics amps
For pairing with Sennheiser HD 800
In terms of output some people tells that most of them are
Overkill. But I have seen some users declaring that V281 and 280 are
The best pairs for HD 800
Between both, what are the major differences?

Thank you:floatsmile:

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #125 of 1,098
If I can quickly chime in: To me, there were no audible differences between the two, and I think that Fried Reim, CEO of Violectric, confirmed that they should sound very much alike.
The 281 is more versatile though. For example, if you're looking for a preamp, you might want to go for the 281. If you're only after powering your HD800, the V280 will absolutely suffice.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #126 of 1,098
If I can quickly chime in: To me, there were no audible differences between the two, and I think that Fried Reim, CEO of Violectric, confirmed that they should sound very much alike.
The 281 is more versatile though. For example, if you're looking for a preamp, you might want to go for the 281. If you're only after powering your HD800, the V280 will absolutely suffice.

I'm not generally into looks (who am I kidding...) but I think the V281 looks killer. 

But I still like my V280.

L3000.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #127 of 1,098
There's also the Lake People RS 08 (same company as Violectric), which is also balanced, and more affordable than the V280.

Some details:
* The RS 08 doesn't have balanced inputs.
* The V280 and V281 immediately convert their balanced inputs to single-ended.
* Fried says that balanced inputs don't matter for short cable runs, but I can't find where he said that.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #128 of 1,098
Happy new year Fegefeuer

I was wondering if you could help me choose between the violectrics amps
For pairing with Sennheiser HD 800
In terms of output some people tells that most of them are
Overkill. But I have seen some users declaring that V281 and 280 are
The best pairs for HD 800
Between both, what are the major differences?

Thank you:floatsmile:

Hi,

I'm from the future and have a link to the past. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803271/violectric-hpa-v280-slim-and-powerful-balanced-hpa/45#post_13018278

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #131 of 1,098
Hi, 
Has anyone ever used the rca outs of the v280?  I don't get their function (line out the xlr inputs signal?)

Cheers

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #132 of 1,098
  Hi, 
Has anyone ever used the rca outs of the v280?  I don't get their function (line out the xlr inputs signal?)

Cheers

I think you have to set a jumper located inside the case. It is mentioned in the manual. The default I believe for RCA is input.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #133 of 1,098

I think you have to set a jumper located inside the case. It is mentioned in the manual. The default I believe for RCA is input.

Hi,

yes you are right, from the manual:

The RCA sockets are factory-preset as inputs and are equipped with integrated switch contacts ! When a RCA plug is inserted, it cuts possible signals applied to the balanced input automatically. RCA socket as outputs: The RCA sockets can also be operated as outputs. This offers the possibility of using a refreshed balanced or USB input signal for further purposes. Output levels equal the levels applied to the inputs, i.e. the signal is amplified by 0dB (unity gain) at an output impedance of < 1 ohms.

then, going to page 31,  it's the cinch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinch) jumper setting. (Hey @fdg decide!  You use  "RCA" 10 times in the manual and then "CINCH"? :D)

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #134 of 1,098
  Hi,

yes you are right, from the manual:

The RCA sockets are factory-preset as inputs and are equipped with integrated switch contacts ! When a RCA plug is inserted, it cuts possible signals applied to the balanced input automatically. RCA socket as outputs: The RCA sockets can also be operated as outputs. This offers the possibility of using a refreshed balanced or USB input signal for further purposes. Output levels equal the levels applied to the inputs, i.e. the signal is amplified by 0dB (unity gain) at an output impedance of < 1 ohms.

then, going to page 31,  it's the cinch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinch) jumper setting. (Hey @fdg decide!  You use  "RCA" 10 times in the manual and then "CINCH"? :D)

I find it funny Violectric use the word "cinch" for RCA. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back