Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #421 of 732
I'm interested in the v590 as I like the simplicity and integration of all-in-one units. I currently have the RME ADI-2 FS and whilst it is an incredible little unit, I always have the itch to 'upgrade' or try something different. Wondering how the 590 stacks up to other all-in-one units like the Hugo 2, TT2, Questyle CMA, RME, etc.?
having had the RME and the Questyle (twelve master), the 590 is a step above. We take the grain and the heat of the twelve and add the precision of the RME and it results in a formidable machine. Cheers :)

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #422 of 732
I'm interested in the v590 as I like the simplicity and integration of all-in-one units. I currently have the RME ADI-2 FS and whilst it is an incredible little unit, I always have the itch to 'upgrade' or try something different. Wondering how the 590 stacks up to other all-in-one units like the Hugo 2, TT2, Questyle CMA, RME, etc.?

I agree with the above post - V590 is in a higher tier compared to those.

I've spent lots of time with the Hugo 2 family and all the RME ADI-2 models, along with the Questyle CMA800i (not the newer models but I don't think they are vastly different). All have their strong points and I would recommend any of them within the right context. But V590 stands above the lot by having significantly more fleshed out tonality, and more "drive" when dealing with big planars and other more difficult headphones.

One might think "well it should considering the price". True, it sells for $1k more than the Hugo 2 and CMA800i. But keep in mind the Chord TT2 is actually more expensive, and personally I rate it below V590 without question.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #423 of 732
Hugo 2 was absolutely mediocre. All macrodetail less substance. Limpish too. Don't want to hear the TT2 at all with this in mind.
I get why it's a favorite though. Good for an hour, falls apart when compared to DACs that actually do more than just macro, are denser in tone and are especially
superb in microdynamics (macro is important too, no doubt, Hugo 2 can't do either well).

Would love to go into indepth with the Wavelight (a bit too expensive unfortunately) and a few pro DACs like those from Prism Audio, Burl.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #424 of 732

I've spent lots of time with the Hugo 2 family and all the RME ADI-2 models, along with the Questyle CMA800i (not the newer models but I don't think they are vastly different). All have their strong points and I would recommend any of them within the right context. But V590 stands above the lot by having significantly more fleshed out tonality, and more "drive" when dealing with big planars and other more difficult headphones.

One might think "well it should considering the price". True, it sells for $1k more than the Hugo 2 and CMA800i. But keep in mind the Chord TT2 is actually more expensive, and personally I rate it below V590 without question.
Currently, I see there is a huge following on the Chord stack of TT2/Mscaler. So I always have this question in my mind on how the V590 compares with the TT2. Great to read your impression that the V590 is the superior option; despite the inverse price relationship.

I do not own the V590(yet) but I do have the Vio V850/V280 stack (with RS05 Femto). This 3-pieces combo sounds simply awesome with my ZMF Verite/Aeolus so I can imagine how good the V590 would sound as an all-in-one new gen. I count myself lucky to have discovered the Violectric brand and owning its fantastic range of products.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #425 of 732
having had the RME and the Questyle (twelve master), the 590 is a step above. We take the grain and the heat of the twelve and add the precision of the RME and it results in a formidable machine. Cheers :)

Thank you for your replies. My wallet is going to hate you! haha The V590 is now at the top of my list!

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #428 of 732
I've had the v590 for almost 2 months now and initially I started off feeding the v590 from my DAP via optical. Recently I set up a Roon ROCK and started using USB which resulted in a significant improvement in sound. I have a Pi2AES coming in the next month or so and I'm excited to see if this results in any additional sonic improvements.

All this being said, I'm also considering getting a separate DAC to use with v590 and I'm curious to get thoughts on whether it would be a worthwhile investment based on high quality of the v590 DAC. My budget would be $3k at the absolute maximum. I was initially looking at R2R DACs such as the Schiit Yggdrasil, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE (since the Spring 2 is now discontinued), and the Denafrips Pontus II. I'm also open to other DAC options that would work well with the v590. I'm looking for something that would be smooth/euphoric but would still maintain a high level of detail. I listen to mostly folk, rock and some pop during my free time and classical and jazz when I work.

My chain would consist of the following:

NAS -> Roon ROCK (also using Tidal) -> Pi2AES -> DAC -> v590 -> Hifiman HE1000se

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #429 of 732
Using Roon over PI2AES with RopieeeXL and AES to the V590 myself. You will reap even more benefits.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #430 of 732
I've had the v590 for almost 2 months now and initially I started off feeding the v590 from my DAP via optical. Recently I set up a Roon ROCK and started using USB which resulted in a significant improvement in sound. I have a Pi2AES coming in the next month or so and I'm excited to see if this results in any additional sonic improvements.

All this being said, I'm also considering getting a separate DAC to use with v590 and I'm curious to get thoughts on whether it would be a worthwhile investment based on high quality of the v590 DAC. My budget would be $3k at the absolute maximum. I was initially looking at R2R DACs such as the Schiit Yggdrasil, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE (since the Spring 2 is now discontinued), and the Denafrips Pontus II. I'm also open to other DAC options that would work well with the v590. I'm looking for something that would be smooth/euphoric but would still maintain a high level of detail. I listen to mostly folk, rock and some pop during my free time and classical and jazz when I work.

NAS -> Roon ROCK (also using Tidal) -> Pi2AES -> DAC -> v590 -> Hifiman HE1000se

"Worthwhile investment" is a relative term for sure. Running V590 fed by a Sonnet Morpheus (NOS R2R so theoretically quite different than the internal V590 DAC) is an improvement for sure, but I wouldn't call it drastic. Bigger dynamics, slightly more extended/convincing treble, and a richer tonality which may or may not actually be desirable depending on your preferences.

I would only say it's worth the effort if everything else in your chain is already at the level where it can't offer any improvement. I'm talking relatively little stuff like cables, power conditioning, modest vibration control, negative ion generator, the works (I might be kidding on some of those but you get the idea).

The downside is that by then you could have saved money by going with V550 and the external DAC, but what's done is done.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #431 of 732
For me Sonnet Morpheus is way better than internal V590 DAC, it's hughe improvement.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #432 of 732
It probably comes down to our definitions of "huge" improvement.

I consider that to be something immediately obvious, even to someone who is not particularly well versed in high-end audio. If I attempt to show my wife or kids the difference between two DACs, and have to explain what they should be listening for, and watch the strain on their face as they maybe-kinda-sorta hear what I'm talking about but are most likely just humoring me... I wouldn't call that huge.

Contrast that with showing them an HD800 vs LCD-4, or when I swap out my Usher towers for Harbeth standmounts. All are great in their own way but very easily discernable between one another. They can easily identify each and will quickly establish a preference for one or the other.

I guess my point is that once we hit a suitably high level of quality - which I submit the V590 DAC does reach - we have left the realm of so-called night and day differences. Instead we are now in a more subjective area where there certainly are character differences and improvements to be found, but those will never be of the same magnitude as a speaker/headphone upgrade.

Anyway this is all just semantics. I'm not saying someone would not be happy with an excellent DAC like Morpheus (which I love!) but rather that it may not be the most important upgrade from V590 used as all-in-one, depending on the rest of the system.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #433 of 732
Anyway this is all just semantics. I'm not saying someone would not be happy with an excellent DAC like Morpheus (which I love!) but rather that it may not be the most important upgrade from V590 used as all-in-one, depending on the rest of the system.
I have yet to try a Morpheus, as it's something that I am curious about, yet at the same time, I worry that its bass slam/impact may not be up to what I've been trying to achieve with my d/s DACS (Lampi Amber 3/Berkely Alpha S2). I am however waiting to see what how a Spring 3 would be described, as well as an A3 Yggy. The other R2R DAC that I'm currently considering based on some recommendations is the Aqua La Voce S3 DAC.

I've kind of already ruled out the Spring 2, Wavelight, and to a certain extent the Morpheus, as my next DAC rolling specimens, but your rec is bringing it back up on my list to try.

As an aside, I did grab a Pass HPA-1 since you mentioned it as one of your favorite amps. I can see why, it is very nice, and I think it pairs supremely well with the Amber 3 as a super fun combo which leans slightly less neutral than the V590-balanced. However, the V590 single ended, there is a lot of over-lap with the Pass HPA-1. I find myself always preferring the V590.

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #434 of 732
It probably comes down to our definitions of "huge" improvement.

I consider that to be something immediately obvious, even to someone who is not particularly well versed in high-end audio. If I attempt to show my wife or kids the difference between two DACs, and have to explain what they should be listening for, and watch the strain on their face as they maybe-kinda-sorta hear what I'm talking about but are most likely just humoring me... I wouldn't call that huge.

Contrast that with showing them an HD800 vs LCD-4, or when I swap out my Usher towers for Harbeth standmounts. All are great in their own way but very easily discernable between one another. They can easily identify each and will quickly establish a preference for one or the other.

I guess my point is that once we hit a suitably high level of quality - which I submit the V590 DAC does reach - we have left the realm of so-called night and day differences. Instead we are now in a more subjective area where there certainly are character differences and improvements to be found, but those will never be of the same magnitude as a speaker/headphone upgrade.

I wanted to say the exact same thing, but I certainly wouldn't have done it with so much elegance and restraint because some words like “huge” are so funny on some occasions. So thank you for doing it! :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #435 of 732

Take a look at Audio-gd. He has some new revs and his R2R DACs are pretty amazing builds. I have a cheap one and I love it. I'm thinking of getting the R8MKII.

They're boat anchors though, not desktop gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back