Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #406 of 732
Well my AB1266 TC sound great with V590 (as a AMP) so i highly recommend V550!
V590 (V550) is more warm than Niimbus with it only helps 1266 to play great!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #407 of 732
So to ask one question I have been obsessing about and beating to death on almost every thread that mentions this V550 and the Niimbus, how transformational is that last 20% in terms of the Niimbus driving the Susvara, as compared to the V550?
If you already paid so much for Susvara you probebly need an end game amp like niimbus to really get the most of it. If you can save up.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #408 of 732
I haven't confirmed with Arthur, but the power holdings site shows the V590 will come with an ESS based DAC rather than the AK 4490.

Screenshot_20210331-134310.png

Recently I got an Singxer SU-2 DDC. I thought the internal DAC on the V590 was adequate, though it is not as high performing as some of the other DACS that I have paired with it -- on USB. However, using a DDC, and then AES into the V590 with internal AK4490, performance has been shocking to my ears. I'm believer that this DAC is extremely good and is tuned really nicely with the amp. Resolution, tighter bass, less 'forced' treble have all been what I experience just by switching to AES or spdif input from a DDC. I'd definately recommend using a digital interface with the V590 (ie. Pi2AES, Singxer Su1/2, Martrix Spdif 2, Denafrips Iris, etc)

I've had the LampizatOr Amber 3 as my main configuration, but I'm trying out a Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 2.

1617221613535.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #409 of 732
That makes sense. There is a a 2-3 month wait for the new version as well. This is obviously due to the AKM factory fire. Of course I am curious on how it will sound but I would bet that they are going to do a good job at matching the sound of the two versions.
Interesting observations about USB vs AES or SPDIF. I have not tried those yet. I dont even have a good AES cable since my old set up was just USB from my SOtM streamer and am not really a fan of using a DDC if I dont have to, less boxes. I have since sold my SOTM set up as my other one got destroyed. I didn't want unlatching setups lol. After like 2 months of testing all the main Roon ready streamers, I ended up with the Lumin U1 mini and it has an AES output on it so I have to get around to trying that. Ill order a cable now, lol.

How do you like the Berkeley compared to the Amber 3. I am spinning about a decision to get a new R2R DAC. So many good options now I have been curious if the Amber 3's price can be justified compared to Holo Audio, Denafrips , Sonnet, etc...

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #411 of 732
I would have really disagreed with you about USB quality but then I recently tried the V590 using a more traditional cable, and now I see/hear your point. I have been using my BMC PureUSB1 active cable which apparently does wonders in cleaning up the result, making it on par with AES and coax. But using any other USB cable, I hear a bit of deficiency. It's still good imho but doesn't quite capture the full potential of the DAC.

I guess I need to stop using the BMC for reviews when testing USB, as it gives a sort of "false positive".

Meanwhile I highly recommend the Matrix X-SPDIF II for USB to SPDIF conversion. It's cheap, small, sounds great, extremely well built, and has room to grow by adding external linear power.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #416 of 732
Go Pi2AES to the V590. Unbeatable for the price. Even routes my Lynx AES. At least a bit, but for far less money.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #417 of 732
I have nothing to compare it to, and I don't have a V590. But for anybody who is looking for a well-built USB reclocker which has very good connectivity, I'm happy with my Mutec MC-3+ USB. There is also a version without USB if you don't need USB input. It's a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #418 of 732
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #419 of 732
I'm interested in the v590 as I like the simplicity and integration of all-in-one units. I currently have the RME ADI-2 FS and whilst it is an incredible little unit, I always have the itch to 'upgrade' or try something different. Wondering how the 590 stacks up to other all-in-one units like the Hugo 2, TT2, Questyle CMA, RME, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back