Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #391 of 732
I would absolutely not call the integrated DAC "meh". Haven't heard the Cayin iDAC-6 mk2, but I've owned the original iDAC-6 for years and very much enjoy it. The integrated Violectric DAC is better imho. While the Cayin has the benefit of being adjustable with the tube stage, thus giving more flavors for system synergy, I don't think any configuration is actually on the same level as the V590 DAC stage.

I imagine V590 and iDAC-6 mk2 plus V550 are both worthy routes to consider.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #392 of 732
Agree, also more natural and less macrodetail pushy and flat sounding than the Hugo 2.

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #393 of 732
Je vais bientôt tester le V590, mes deux amis qui l'écoutent disent que la section AMP est très bonne mais la section DAC est "meh".
is it sheep to make "meh"? :)

The amp is excellent, the dac is superb, I've never had anything that makes music like that. (I had dacs up to 3000 €, dangerous convert for example). This is what we are all looking for, emotion and technical accuracy, everything is there.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #395 of 732
Pretty minor, but can be more significant when using a low quality transport. In that case resampling will tighten things up, reign in treble response, and solidify imaging.

I haven't really tried to nail down the differences between the different resample options though.

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #396 of 732
Yeah, it's not needed with a Pi2AES or similar but there's no real downside to it either, especially since it does not impart a let's say "early days temporal anti-aliasing" to the sound, meaning smoothing slightly too much (for my liking) over or making everything a bit overpolished. This is what I found on older solutions. The precision is just way better now.

It seems especially useful when using USB in.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #397 of 732
20210319_111710_HDR.jpg
As a DAC / AMP, it sounds very musical, warm, smooth, but it does not lack resolution, dynamics, air, although I recommend avoiding the USB input because it is weak. Just full body sounding combo!

As the AMP + Sonnet Morpheus is definitely better, more neutral, with better bass control, more pronounced treble, more claw and better soundstage, in some aspect i like the V590 amplifier more than the GS-X mini I had. My unit have very quiet clicks on volume control ( i have Pro version).

You can feel that the V590 is a high-end device, very well made of decent raw materials, a great, heavy metal remote control.

I think the V550 is 80% Niimbus quality.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #398 of 732
20210319_111710_HDR.jpg

You can feel that the V590 is a high-end device, very well made of decent raw materials, a great, heavy metal remote control.

I think the V550 is 80% Niimbus quality.
So to ask one question I have been obsessing about and beating to death on almost every thread that mentions this V550 and the Niimbus, how transformational is that last 20% in terms of the Niimbus driving the Susvara, as compared to the V550?

As you might well know, I also own the Morpheus and the V281. I could jump on one of the V550s that are currently on Drop, but I do not want to jump and start pining after a nimbus, because that would neither be fair to the V550 or myself.

Now to ask a question you might be able to answer easily, how would you describe the nature of that last 20% in concrete audiophile terms? More (wider, deeper) soundstage, more "air"? more extension at both ends? More detail? Blacker background? better imaging, less fatigue?

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #399 of 732
I don't own Susvara so i can't reply to that question.
Now to ask a question you might be able to answer easily, how would you describe the nature of that last 20% in concrete audiophile terms? More (wider, deeper) soundstage, more "air"? more extension at both ends? More detail? Blacker background? better imaging?
I say YES on everything, Niimbus is just one level above vs V550. Truly end game AMP!

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #400 of 732
Yes on the Niimbus for the Susvara. Just be done with it, Sahmen. Sell the V281, the Flux and a few headphones.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #401 of 732
Listening to the Morpheus->Niimbus->Susvara as I type. I can't comment on differences since I did not A/B, but I can assure that this is a very pleasing combo. Since I have taken care of re-clocking my next step would be Susvara Cable and DAC. Upgrading the AMP I assume I'd had to reach beyond the 10k mark.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #402 of 732
Yes on the Niimbus for the Susvara. Just be done with it, Sahmen. Sell the V281, the Flux and a few headphones.
Touché, so about how much lead time am I go to need after placing the order for a US5 or a US5 pro, with the constraints of "pandemic time" and circumstances taken into account?

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #403 of 732
Arthur has them in stock already.

9GHateh.gif

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #405 of 732

Users who are viewing this thread

Back