Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #721 of 732
have you tried the gain dip switches? Is it true that when -6 and -12db are switched, the amplifier will have lower noise and a more natural sound?
Haven't played with them sorry. I think mine is on the default which I think is the middle setting. Powers my 1266 TC fine. Probably 85-90dB with volume at 12 o'clock. Although I can imagine that lower gain = better SNR and vice versa.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #724 of 732
have you tried the gain dip switches? Is it true that when -6 and -12db are switched, the amplifier will have lower noise and a more natural sound?
It really is.
I set the gain to "-18" when I listen to the Fostex 610. In this case, the purest and most emotional sound with incredible spatial effects is obtained. The volume control in this case is at the level of 16.00-17.00 o'clock.
I have never heard such sounding of Fostex 610 from any amplifier.

p.s.
Gain reduction only works with high performance headphones.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #725 of 732
Have you listened to the TH-900 as well?

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #726 of 732

Assuming no change in amp behaviour due to changes in the loop or other circuitry shenanigans, lower gain will almost always mean lower noise* by the same factor.

*from the source and amp pre section since that it what goes through the gain stage; noise from the output stage is a separate issue

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #727 of 732
I got the V590 Mk2 PRO two weeks ago in order to use its balanced output with the Focal Utopia 2022. The combination sounded too dampened at first, so I changed the digital filter from the way it had shipped, fast roll-off/minimum phase, to slow roll-off/linear phase and I used the treble boost preset in Apple Music to make the very wide and prominent but somewhat soft highs of the Utopia headphone a bit more sizzling. I'm absolutely blown away with how it sounds now.

I listened to the first 1:49 of Purple Rain by Prince with the unbalanced and balanced cables. With the unbalanced cable it sounded nice, with the balanced cable one feels the drumbeat in the chest, it hits you right in the sternum, Prince's voice gives you goosebumps. I just listened to "Put Your Lights On" from the Supernatural (Remastered) Carlos Santana Album (Apple lossless) and my whole body was shaking.

BTW, I also just lowered the pre-gain by 18 dB and the music loses this controlled vigor that the V590 Mk2 conveys so effortlessly and that makes the mids and the bass shine on the Utopia with the balanced signal.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #728 of 732
I got the V590 Mk2 PRO two weeks ago in order to use its balanced output with the Focal Utopia 2022. The combination sounded too dampened at first, so I changed the digital filter from the way it had shipped, fast roll-off/minimum phase, to slow roll-off/linear phase and I used the treble boost preset in Apple Music to make the very wide and prominent but somewhat soft highs of the Utopia headphone a bit more sizzling. I'm absolutely blown away with how it sounds now.

I listened to the first 1:49 of Purple Rain by Prince with the unbalanced and balanced cables. With the unbalanced cable it sounded nice, with the balanced cable one feels the drumbeat in the chest, it hits you right in the sternum, Prince's voice gives you goosebumps. I just listened to "Put Your Lights On" from the Supernatural (Remastered) Carlos Santana Album (Apple lossless) and my whole body was shaking.

BTW, I also just lowered the pre-gain by 18 dB and the music loses this controlled vigor that the V590 Mk2 conveys so effortlessly and that makes the mids and the bass shine on the Utopia with the balanced signal.
You need to set the gain value at which a comfortable volume level will correspond to the position of the volume control at 4-5 o'clock.

Perhaps for Utopia you need "-12" or "-6" gain.

For Fostex 610 it is enough to set the gain to "-18".

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #729 of 732
You need to set the gain value at which a comfortable volume level will correspond to the position of the volume control at 4-5 o'clock.

No. Recommended (by Fried himself) is between 11 an 1 'o clock for maximum dynamic range.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #730 of 732
No. Recommended (by Fried himself) is between 11 an 1 'o clock for maximum dynamic range.
This recommendation is given by all manufacturers and is due to the fact that you have sufficient volume headroom if you listen to recordings recorded at different volume levels. My media library does not have serious volume differences, and I do not need such a wide range of volume adjustments.

It is important to understand that any volume control makes changes to the original signal. The closer the position of the edge control is to the extreme (maximum value), the less influence it has on the signal. In this case, you get the widest dynamic range that the amplifier is capable of delivering. The best microdynamics, punch, after-sound, stage width and space are achieved with this setting.

This trick works on all amplifiers, except those amplifiers whose volume control regulates gain (Enleum 23R), or resistive load and gain (Holo Bliss).

You can test this statement on your installation and see the result.

It is important to understand one more thing: increasing the gain makes the sound warmer and more massive, with a “distortion” or “dirt” effect. Some people like to listen to music this way.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #731 of 732

Yes, it can vary depending on the headphone. With the Utopia it's definetly zero pre-gain for my level of listening. I'm 50+. BTW, in the user manual on P.17 it says under HOW TO OPTIMIZE THE PRE-GAIN SETTING: "Connect your source...and plugin your headphone. Listen !! Your amp is adjusted best by the individual PRE-GAIN settings when the volume control for "normal" listening is positioned around 12 o' clock."

My volume control is just a notch before 12 o' clock with no pre-gain for normal listening. I have the volume cranked up all the way on my Mac Book Pro. That gives me the most dynamic but well controlled sound with the balanced cable. I never go beyond 1400h.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #732 of 732
Same here, as I believed Fried (the manual) on this… but that’s an interesting point you make @DMITRIY R - will try that and see what it does to the sound and feel…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back