Vinyl Record Players?
Feb 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 66
From my viewpoint,I would stand by the recommendation of a vintage turntable,particularly Thorens with belt drive and suspension engineering.
The value and sound from these golden era pieces is hard to deny.
Much more forgiving to install say,on a coffee table,as opposed to a purpose built wall mount shelf which you can aspire to as you upgrade,if so desired.
Direct drive tables really should be on a wall mount shelf to isolate the vibrations.

Here is a link to a Thorens overview:
http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/thorens___overview.html

Stick with the classic suspended models : platter weight > 3 kg = metal subplatter,look for arm lift off.
You can install a device to do this on some manual models that do not have arm lift off.

I have tried new turntables but found the models produced during the vinyl peak to be preferable,unless you are ready and willing to venture into modern high end.
Without concrete floors,this shelf is the way to go.
The turntable actually sits about 5" away from the wall, and there is a full-length slot in the back of the shelf, so your wires will hang down nice and neat.
I've had JVC and Sansui direct drive turntables work perfectly when I resided in basement dwellings with no shelf.

But then that's partly why I like a Thorens,it will forgive you walking around while the music plays.
Others can steer you down the 'new' path,I have been there and back.
Still have yet to go beyond a Thorens TD 160 Super though...

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 66
Here is my turntable set up. It is my number one listening portal and I can't see that ever changing because it sounds so natural.

Linn LP12 with Naim amps.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 66
Does anyone know what media is typically used to record on in a recording studio? It would have to be some analog format for there to even be a point to vinyl records. Do they use some high end kind of tape?

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 66
They used to always use 2" tape to master but now it varies.

Its been a long time since I was a young fresh faced tape operator in a pro studio but...

I know that if you looked at the back of a CD you used to see three letters ie... ADD. This referred to the method of recording, mixing and mastering. In the case I mentioned (ADD) it would be.

A = Analogue source. (Miked instruments as apposed to direct into the desk (DI))
D = Digital Mixing. (Computer as apposed to an analogue mixing desk)
D = Digital Mastering. (Anything other than tape)

These three letters could be in any order and of any combination.

I don't know if they still do this though as I haven't bought a CD in many years.

Hope that helps...?

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 66
I only have one CD and I couldn't find those letters on it. I looked on my LP's, too, and couldn't find anything similar. I guess it's meant to remain a mystery for any given album.

I'm just hoping the modern day studios aren't digitally recording and then printing the signal onto vinyl.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #24 of 66

Quote:
Unfortunately that is the case these days you do get digitally remastered vinyl.

This is rather depressing. I've been reading up on it, and it seems they often use a higher quality digital signal, such as 24bit 96khz, but it's still not a real analog signal. I wonder what percentage of modern records are from digital sources.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 66
Music has been recorded at that sort of sample rate and bit depth for years, but that hasn't made it readily available. As far as I can tell, record labels are using vinyl as their high quality product and digital as their mass market distribution method. At least, that's how I see it. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #28 of 66

Quote:
Unfortunately that is the case these days you do get digitally remastered vinyl.

Never even thought of that... but makes sense they would do that for newer stuff.  I don't buy too many records anyways.  I have a handful that I play on an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable that I mainly have just for fun.  It also gets people talking when they come over and see a record playing!

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #29 of 66
I have a Technics SL1600 turntable that I got from a relative, and it only has a basic Shure cart and pile pro pre amp. I have over 100 records, but I don't exactly want to invest a whole bunch of money in a more volatile source right now. But someday, when i get rich, I'd love to get a proper vinyl setup and see what it sounds like. I don't think you can deny the fact that digital is cheaper. And although it may be inferior slightly, it's all I can afford right now. Someday though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back