Vinyl LP rack
Jun 16, 2002 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I have been looking for a rack/shelving unit to store my vinyl collection of around 300 LPs. The only one I can find is the one made my Boltz but it's too wide for the space it want. I prefer it to be black to match my HT/Audio rack and cannot even find any bookcases that have the proper dimensions. Any suggestions or links to places that specialize in racks/shelves?

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Home Depot?

You could always make one out of Legos and use a Mindstorms kit to retrieve and load the LPs for you. :wink:

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I like the Ikea "Bonde" shelves.They are 15 3/4" deep and come in differing heights and widths and three different finishes.doors and extra shelves are available as well.Records fit the shelves very nicely and they are strong enough to support lots of records.Right On Futon in Chicago has these really cool custom LP shelves that are solid wood and come in a variety of different woods such as oak,pine,birch and since they are custom made dimensions can be tailored to fit your space.I have both these setups and some other custom shelving to fit my very large collection in my basement.I'm glad you are concerned about proper storage of your lps.

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I have been looking for a rack/shelving unit to store my vinyl collection of around 300 LPs. The only one I can find is the one made my Boltz but it's too wide for the space it want. I prefer it to be black to match my HT/Audio rack and cannot even find any bookcases that have the proper dimensions. Any suggestions or links to places that specialize in racks/shelves?

This may be too wide for you, also, but it comes in black...

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 7
If you don't mind doing yard sales and the like you can find some wooden bookshelves with the right dimensions and paint them black. I've got about 800 vinyl lps in bookshelves.
You might also check out Pottery Barn and the like.

If I had any diy skills

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
nudge nudge wink wink

I might put together some stuff in black metal.

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 7
hey jmt,

the peach crate method is always a good standby, and they look ultra cool with some stripping and staining. save for that, 300 lps aren't a hell of a lot, i've been using a shelf from ikea that works great (they have quite a few shelves that'll fit lps, never remember the names though) and can easily be used for other media storage. the expedit holds almost 1700 lps (at $200), in case you were looking for room to grow
wink.gif

here's one i was looking at, apparently available at officedepot for cheap and sturdy enough to handle the weight of a shelffull of records: http://www.bushfurniture.com/html/book_23.htm

best,
carlo.

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Measure you records, then head to OFFICE DEPOT.

They do have a line that does work, with different finishes.

I have a two shelf one that works perfectly as sold.

I have two (four shelf).....three shelves and the bottom......
I use. I think they are 4' tall or so. BUT, because of record size,
I could NOT use three movable shelves, just TWO. And then the holes were not the right height, so I had to drill new holes. Now they work fine.

They are regular bookshelves with wood grain finishes, vinyl I think. I got the big ones on sale for $40 each. They are much more than that now.

Home Depot was useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back