Vinyl Experts...Newbie Here...Some Advice Please
Jul 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just about to enter into the world of turntables and have narrowed it down to two choices.

VPI HW-19 Jr. with Audioquest PT-6 tonearm

or

AR ES-1 with stock tonearm

So, what are your thoughts on these two tables, and what might be the better choice. Now, I'm a tiny bit familiar with VPI. My father runs an HW-19 in his stereo and it sounds incrediable, but then again, it's not the Jr. and his system is way out of my league. Of course, my father is saying to go with the VPI table, but I think that he may be a bit biased.

Probably just pick up a cheap Grado cart and save a bit for a good MC. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just about to enter into the world of turntables and have narrowed it down to two choices.

VPI HW-19 Jr. with Audioquest PT-6 tonearm

or

AR ES-1 with stock tonearm

So, what are your thoughts on these two tables, and what might be the better choice. Now, I'm a tiny bit familiar with VPI. My father runs an HW-19 in his stereo and it sounds incrediable, but then again, it's not the Jr. and his system is way out of my league. Of course, my father is saying to go with the VPI table, but I think that he may be a bit biased.

Probably just pick up a cheap Grado cart and save a bit for a good MC. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

You might also want to inquire on AudioAsylum - you may find more "vinyl fans" there.

For my money... I'd go with the Linn LP-12.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Just a quick fyi. The stock AR tonearm was manufactured by jelco, and so is the audioquest. There is almost nothing visibly different between the two.

The major difference between these two decks is that one is suspended (the AR) and one is set on sorbothane (the jr.)

Also, the linn would cost about twice what either of these decks goes for.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Sorry to hijack but i figured this was a good thread for this...

can anyone give me advice or a guide to dropping the needle? How do I start a record without scratching it? I'm very new obviously, and I think I scratched a brand new vinyl dropping the needle and it bouncing?

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack but i figured this was a good thread for this...

can anyone give me advice or a guide to dropping the needle? How do I start a record without scratching it? I'm very new obviously, and I think I scratched a brand new vinyl dropping the needle and it bouncing?

Your turntable/tonearm doesn't have an arm lift lever of any kind? Strange. What do you use?

Either way, I'm not sure there's anything that can be said that isn't just common sense. Lower the stylus as close to the surface of the record as possible before letting go.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm not biased, I've owned both brands. VPI over stock AR. But an AR with an upgraded arm like an RB-300 is a real nice deck.

Here's a public service tip: We don't say "scratched a brand new vinyl." It's an "LP" or "record" or maybe an "album."

Several of them are not "vinyls" (which you didn't say). That one is really abrasive. Plural is vinyl. "He's got a lot of old vinyl stored in his basement," never "he has a lot of old vinyls."

Like credit cards. You carry "plastic" not "plastics." You can say "she whipped out the plastic" but not "I just got a new plastic."

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Okay, I think that I'm leaning towards the AR table. Probably will keep stock arm at first. Thanks for the suggestion for the Rega arm. Any suggestions on a cartridge. Under $250.00 for starters.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Okay, I think that I'm leaning towards the AR table. Probably will keep stock arm at first. Thanks for the suggestion for the Rega arm. Any suggestions on a cartridge. Under $250.00 for starters.

The Denon 103 gets recommended left, right and centre in that price range.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon 103 gets recommended left, right and centre in that price range.

Seconded. The DL-103 is a terrific cartridge.

Another one I really enjoyed is the Grado Gold.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not biased, I've owned both brands. VPI over stock AR. But an AR with an upgraded arm like an RB-300 is a real nice deck.

Here's a public service tip: We don't say "scratched a brand new vinyl." It's an "LP" or "record" or maybe an "album."

Several of them are not "vinyls" (which you didn't say). That one is really abrasive. Plural is vinyl. "He's got a lot of old vinyl stored in his basement," never "he has a lot of old vinyls."

Like credit cards. You carry "plastic" not "plastics." You can say "she whipped out the plastic" but not "I just got a new plastic."

Thanks, didn't know that. Like I said, I'm real new to this.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 14
x2...let's get back to talking about records and LPs!

Vinyl makes me think of floor coverings.

Or worse....

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 14
I used Blue Point and Blue Point Special w very good results on my AR. (They used to cost half what they do now.) They're brighter than some other carts but was a very good match with tube electronics downstream. I also used a Shure V-15, which had more body but ultimately was less satisfying in that set up.

Vinyl does seem a bit tacky these days. Serious audiophiles should upgrade to genuine leather!

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens For Sale this is a good source of info on all things AR. They sell and upgrade the decks as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back