Vinyl enthusiasts: what can't I get on CD?
May 10, 2006 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
For some unknown reason, I have an itch to get back into vinyl. I don't want to spend a lot on the gear at first, but I do have a phono stage already.

The thing is, I don't know of anything I can get on vinyl that I can't already get CD (sound issues aside for the moment). This is not a practical thing at all, but I know you all understand.

Who can give me examples of must-have LP's that were never made it to the shiny disc format? Secondarily, what CD's were clearly made so poorly, but their older, original LP counterparts make it worth going back?

Thirdly, am I insane for even thinking about this?
confused.gif

May 11, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Don't have a lot of time, but can't let this go unanswered. For me personally, it's more about increased flexibility than there being tons of stuff that you can't get on any other format. And of course the sound. Having said that:

-Obviously there's a huge market of used vinyl waiting for you if you're willing to put a bit of effort into it. Here you can get both stuff that you actually can't get anywhere else, and lots of stuff that you could get elsewhere but nowhere near as cheaply.
-I always find stuff at various times that you can't get (at least easily and to my knowledge) on CD at that time. Usually classic reissues.... Al Green's Call Me, Sly's There's a Riot Goin' On, a bunch of Herbie Hancock records, The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads.... all these spring to mind. Some I think have been issued on CD since, though, but there's always stuff. There are also some really good reggae comps (Horace Andy for instance has one) put together by vinyl specialty labels that beat the snot out of any available on disc.
-A small but consistent amount of indie type stuff comes out only on vinyl. Often it later (sometimes partially) gets issued on disc, sometimes not. Madlib, Stereolab, and Aphex Twin all released the stuff on their latest discs on vinyl-only way earlier (all in different form than the CD). This can be good and bad, but usually good).
-The odd bonus track here and there is vinyl-only.

I'd highly recommend getting into it if you have the resources, but as I said before, it's not really mainly b/c of stuff you can only get on that format. It's more for a bunch of little bonuses like that, as well as the sound.

Quote:

Who can give me examples of must-have LP's that were never made it to the shiny disc format?

Maybe someone older than me.

May 11, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 9
It depends on what you listen to. If you are only interested in current music, vinyl is a waste of time. If you're interested in music from the 60s and before, more than half is available only on vinyl.

See ya
Steve

May 11, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't think you are nuts at all! I went through the same you are going through, only a year ago. For indie music, much is released only on vinyl and/or the cd's are so poorly done that the vinyl is the only way to fly. GodSpeed You! Black Emperor and Silver Mt. Zion come to mind.

May 11, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 9
A lot of psychedelic stuff never hit CDs either. Gandalf's S/T psychedelic album is a MASTERPIECE of its era, only available on vinyl currently.

Just one example. Albums that were actually PRESSED in the sixties are much more common to not have CD counter-parts.

May 11, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

More specific examples would be great.

May 11, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

For indie music, much is released only on vinyl and/or the cd's are so poorly done that the vinyl is the only way to fly. GodSpeed You! Black Emperor and Silver Mt. Zion come to mind.

Really? I have those two CDs, and I always thought the recording on GYBE was pretty meh. Is the vinyl really better?

May 11, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 9
There are many LPs that never made it to CD. One of my favorite Beethoven symphony series (the Ansermet - Swiss Romande Orchestra set) is LP only.

As for the sound: Arguably, any rock or jazz recording that originally came out on LP and was mixed for the format, will sound better on the LP format. That's my opinion anyway; there are wildly divergent opinions on this topic. But, once you've heard Neil Young's "Harvest" on vinyl vs. CD, for example, you will know exactly what I mean.

You will not be sorry you got into vinyl.

Here's my previouslky posted List: Ten reasons why I like vinyl:

10. Endless supply of old vinyl at reasonable prices.
9. Lots of great recordings never made it to CD.
8. Today is arguably the true golden age of vinyl, with some modern pressings superior to anything ever issued in the past. Vinyl remains arguably the greatest hi-res format in existence.
7. Vinyl adds new dimensions to the audiophile experience, with a collecting element found in no other area of stereo appreciation (alternative pressings, etc.), not to mention the artwork!
6. Vinyl causes people who otherwise would not be caught dead supporting a thrift store to become major patrons.
5. Equipment tweaking is most often interesting and relaxing. A nice turntable rig is a thing of great beauty.
4. Vinyl is often a more tactile, musical experience. Vinyl at its best an be more like listening to a musical instrument than a recording of music.
3. By its very nature, vinyl forces the listener to pay more attention to the music, thus increasing appreciation. (One of our current plagues is that the hyper-convenience of digital formats – and the endless supply of alternative entertainments – have relegated music to a background role...nobody sits and listens to music any more.)
2. Vinyl is capable of sounding better than just about anything else, under the right conditions.
1. Vinyl is often more fun.

May 12, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
It depends on what you listen to. If you are only interested in current music, vinyl is a waste of time.

Why do you say this? I have a lot of modern music on vinyl, and it almost always sounds better than its CD (and SACD) counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back