Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,891 of 2,710
It was fun to work on. In some ways, it reminded me of an 18th century automaton, or a cuckoo clock that happens to play records. Half of the fun for me was taking it all to bits and putting it back together again! And the fact that it is entirely mechanical and intuitive, in a Victorian kind of way.

Also, I wanted an automatic turntable for my home office.

It certainly requires a bit of work, and a little knowledge of “Maschinenbau”! Like documenting the assemblies you dismantle, being able to read and understand a service manual, and using the correct lubricants (not just 3 in 1 for everything!

If you are happy messing about with old cars or bikes, you’ll feel right at home!

Remember: the basic auto changer mechanism goes back to the 50s.

The good thing about old Duals (and old VWs) is that almost every part is still available, either NOS, reconditioned or fresh off the 3D printer.
The reason I asked those questions (some of them are a bit rhetorical) is for one, I am always curious to find what other vinyl lovers work on and what they use to spin their records. But the other reason is for other people who read these posts to get some idea about ways vinyl community experience vinyl playback but perhaps are not that knowledgeable and could use a bit more in depth look at the options other there. Personally, I do love to work with my hands and take on projects I know absolutely nothing about. And in the process learn few things that were completely foreigner to me. I think that is partially what you are referring to when you talk with enthusiasm about these projects you take on. Perhaps the message is that it’s not only about listening to vinyl but it’s sort of a lifestyle and a way to challenge ourselves with part of the hobby that is a little more hands on, than what might be associated with a typical passive audiophilia.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,892 of 2,710
BTW, this thing is a PRaT monster!

I just need to get the “proper” cartridge on it. Shure M44 body arrived yesterday, N44E stylus (Jico) is in the post, as is a 3mm mahogany custom spacer (to get that VTA issue under control).

Alternatively, I may also try a Denon 110 I have knocking around in storage.

It needs to be high output, as it is feeding an 834P clone.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #1,893 of 2,710
I remember one of Frank Schröder’s (Probably the best tonearm designers out there, for those who don’t know who that is) interviews a year ago or so, when he said that Denon DL-110 is his favorite budget cartridge. Ofcause Frank would probably mod the hack out of it and tune it to what he would liked it to sound like.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,894 of 2,710
The DL110 (and 160) is just a brilliant cartridge because it gives you MC taste for the price of a medium price MM without the need for extra amplification. And don't forget, it used to be half the price of what it is now. So stupid it's out of production.

I tried to buy it in 1984 but my dealer only had Yamaha dealership so I ended up with the competing Yamaha MC21 on my Dual 504-II instead of the ortofon OM-10. That was possibly the best upgrade I ever had. It was such a big jump in clarity, bass, treble and spatiality.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,895 of 2,710
I’ll probably sell on the 510, it’s not really to my taste. I have two cartridge slides for this turntable, one will get the M44E, the other may acquire a DL110. I use a modified (cocobolo body) DL103 on the Garrard as backup for the SPU. This particular cartridge really needs a dedicated SUT to come alive, though.

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,896 of 2,710
This week is going to be full of fireworks. Always excited with any delivery with BN in it. Combining new releases that come out at different dates saves $$ on shipping but the wait time and anxiety is of the chart.
42247ADA-7FA5-469F-A3C5-512AA0B89C15.jpeg

A53DCD03-32A6-4577-BBFE-1967A96F14E7.jpeg

24F60650-D3C1-4C98-8564-FF47B028AE3B.jpeg

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,897 of 2,710
I just watched Michael 45's video on the new Beyoncé album... I gave it a thumbs down. This is something I do not do often.

How can he be this positive about this steaming pile of horsemanure? That woman is totally off her rocker. She used to be a cute Christian choirgirl with an amazing voice, now she is demon possessed (as she in fact stated herself since her alter ego Sasha Fierce appeared). If it makes it easier on you take that figuratively. Like the girl in 'the exorcist' spouting green vomit she is singing about her female fluids dripping on the floor.

It's not a bad thing if you say something critical once in a while. It shows that you are capable of discernment. If you don't you are useless as a reviewer. I already bought one album on his recommendation and I resent him for it since it's openly luciferian, hypnotic and far from harmless. In so I regret buying it.

Another member of the coven...

Did you see that tiktok video of Madonna 'if I miss I'm gay'? She is an OLD woman pretending to be an ageless teen or Data in pink. She looks absolutely creepy. Her navel tucked over her chin tight facelift, no facial expression, pumped up cheekbones, post menopausal body with unnatural light pink hair, no eyebrows. There was a period after she took singing lessons where she made some great albums. I stopped buying her albums when she became absorbed with her new kabbalah cult. And now she's just another one of satan's little minions.
Either that or it was a new version of the Tesla fembot with servo problems.

At least the Stones were open about it

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,898 of 2,710
It was fun to work on. In some ways, it reminded me of an 18th century automaton, or a cuckoo clock that happens to play records. Half of the fun for me was taking it all to bits and putting it back together again! And the fact that it is entirely mechanical and intuitive, in a Victorian kind of way.

Also, I wanted an automatic turntable for my home office.

It certainly requires a bit of work, and a little knowledge of “Maschinenbau”! Like documenting the assemblies you dismantle, being able to read and understand a service manual, and using the correct lubricants (not just 3 in 1 for everything!

If you are happy messing about with old cars or bikes, you’ll feel right at home!

Remember: the basic auto changer mechanism goes back to the 50s.

The good thing about old Duals (and old VWs) is that almost every part is still available, either NOS, reconditioned or fresh off the 3D printer.
Sadly those skills are slowly being lost thanks to rising labour costs, water pumps, alternators, starter motors, etc are cheaper to buy a replacement unit than pay to have a component overhauled, when it comes to my own stuff it’s way cheaper to overhaul things but finding parts is getting harder all the time as very few are overhauled these days…
Glad I’m happily retired and listening to music instead … 😉

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,899 of 2,710
I just watched Michael 45's video on the new Beyoncé album... I gave it a thumbs down. This is something I do not do often.

How can he be this positive about this steaming pile of horsemanure? That woman is totally off her rocker. She used to be a cute Christian choirgirl with an amazing voice, now she is demon possessed (as she in fact stated herself since her alter ego Sasha Fierce appeared). If it makes it easier on you take that figuratively. Like the girl in 'the exorcist' spouting green vomit she is singing about her female fluids dripping on the floor.

It's not a bad thing if you say something critical once in a while. It shows that you are capable of discernment. If you don't you are useless as a reviewer. I already bought one album on his recommendation and I resent him for it since it's openly luciferian, hypnotic and far from harmless. In so I regret buying it.

Another member of the coven...

Did you see that tiktok video of Madonna 'if I miss I'm gay'? She is an OLD woman pretending to be an ageless teen or Data in pink. She looks absolutely creepy. Her navel tucked over her chin tight facelift, no facial expression, pumped up cheekbones, post menopausal body with unnatural light pink hair, no eyebrows. There was a period after she took singing lessons where she made some great albums. I stopped buying her albums when she became absorbed with her new kabbalah cult. And now she's just another one of satan's little minions.
Either that or it was a new version of the Tesla fembot with servo problems.

At least the Stones were open about it
You didn’t see me mentioned her album did you? Lol
I think Michael 45 is worrying too much what Vinyl Community thinks of his content (on you tube. Not sure if you’re following that clown show or not. Mezze, Ghost, Wax and other attention hooes). It’s a bit of a cult with some funny moments. Probably the only reason I watch it. Flame wars and pi$$ing contest between so called experts that look down on anyone that’s not on their level. That’s why it’s important for me to reach out to guys who are new to vinyl or guys that want to get into it but fear the intimidation of those know it all experts.
BTW I’ve listened to that Björk Fossora album and I am not getting that, even for $20. I don’t get it. Sorry. I know some think that she’s special, artistic, talented and all but it’s just not my cup of tea.

PS
No I didn’t see any of that Tiktak. The only time I watch TT is for amusement of failure and beloved woked geniuses.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,900 of 2,710
No, I don't watch tiktok either but it was in some YouTube commentary video. You are bound to stumble on it sometime.

About Björk, what I said, she's getting more and more eccentric and unaccessible. Seeing Michaels video made me doubt if I might have judged too soon. But after seeing his Beyoncé video I'm not doubting my own but rather his proper judgment. It just goes to show you always have to judge for yourself. Judge which people to trust and what music to like. And also; you need to get to know a reviewer, his preferences, his abilities and his reliability.

I don't watch a lot of those in the 'vinyl community'. But some are worth it. It's another way to find new music. And usually you can see if someone is really enthusiastic. I take that as a lead, an indication.

"who is going to review the reviewers?"
It's just like all information that we are bombarded with all day. Every responsible person should know how to filter information for truth content. But unfortunately we have been taught to trust authority and not to question. Otherwise all the propaganda won't work.

So question more, think for yourself and trust your own common sense and intuition.

Edit:

some due diligence. I looked up Beyoncé on Qobuz. There are 2 "high res" versions that look identical. So I just picked one. So I listened. OK, some rhythm and rap nig@# s#! 7. But nothing really disturbing. Only I can never hear what they are saying. It's like... a complete different vibe.

So I go back. Pick the other one. And I see those little 'e' badges behind the song titles. No idea why that is. Same "high res" 24/44 resolution. So I go forth, or back to the first. Listen intro after intro. Until I notice something. Some dropouts in the background vocals. What is this? Am I going deaf? So I look up and see this little light bulb 💡 over my head. Aha. Wait a minute. This has been chastised.

So back to the other version. There's the 'e' badges again. Aha. Now there's no more dropouts, no more censoring. OK, there's the complete NC-17 version again. Explicit lyrics, that's what it stands for. Well, thanks for - not- explaining that. 'I can hear clearly now, the rain has gone'. Well, it does sound better, clearer everything is back in focus. But so is the filth.

When I look up the different formats on discogs I only see aac versions in 'explicit', I see none of the CD or lp versions mentioned as 'explicit' nor do I see any warning stickers. There are 'alternate' cover versions out, where she actually has some clothes on, and a cowboyhat 🤠 for the red states. But the word spazzin', oh my, the whole woke safespace LGBTQIASP community (letters intended) has their panties in a bunch.

So maybe, I was wondering, is the lp version that Michael 45 heard the PG version. That might explain some things.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,901 of 2,710
No, I don't watch tiktok either but it was in some YouTube commentary video. You are bound to stumble on it sometime.
That’s exactly how I come across it. I’ll admit that I did had tiktak account once. And I’ve tried very hard to get kicked by commies but for some reason, whatever I have done or said wasn’t offensive enough to red censorship army.
I don't watch a lot of those in the 'vinyl community'. But some are worth it. It's another way to find new music. And usually you can see if someone is really enthusiastic. I take that as a lead, an indication.
I do watch it for kicks mostly. It’s like vinyl SNL.
About Björk, what I said, she's getting more and more eccentric and unaccessible. Seeing Michaels video made me doubt if I might have judged too soon. But after seeing his Beyoncé video I'm not doubting my own but rather his proper judgment. It just goes to show you always have to judge for yourself. Judge which people to trust and what music to like. And also; you need to get to know a reviewer, his preferences, his abilities and his reliability.
I felt the same way. I though, well, at least ot sounds exceptional. After all, Michael knows what sounds or doesn’t sound good on his exceptionally great system. But then I’ve put on her album at work and listen to it almost in its entirety and just gave up. I don’t really care how spectacular it may sound, I just can’t. Call me closed minded but that so called “art” is certainly not for me.
"who is going to review the reviewers?"
It's just like all information that we are bombarded with all day. Every responsible person should know how to filter information for truth content. But unfortunately we have been taught to trust authority and not to question. Otherwise all the propaganda won't work.

So question more, think for yourself and trust your own common sense and intuition
Yes. 100 percent right. Read between the lines and prioritize your own values, taste and judgment. Finding someone who has guide me in the right direction and who shared my taste, preferences was the best thing that ever happened to me. Saved me a bunch of money and aggregation. So yes, this is probably the best way to go about it for those who just started on this journey. 👍

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,902 of 2,710
Owner of the local shop texted me some titles that he though might pique my interest. Here are few that I am thinking of picking up. And he did get me that Arcade Fire LP I’ve asked for.
5D63ED6C-9AAB-42ED-885B-807C65A4B05C.jpeg

39521658-3CB5-4D2C-858F-1FDFC911B25E.jpeg

27D6DBD8-01EB-4C0F-8E55-860402280F32.jpeg

And this Jazz group that I’ve never heard of before (don’t know why… I though I had at least one LP by them) but they look and sound legit. At least this album does. A little too chill for my taste except few pieces that really stand out but I think I’ll give them a chance. Quality seems like it’s up there despite being a relatively new recording.
692D00BE-9545-4508-B19F-D7CC60370695.jpeg

EU store + music sampler
The ‘journey home’
and ‘the move’ is pretty good.
Sounds very familiar.
Their other stuff (at least the albums I’ve looked at) got this exotic, oriental theme…or that chill meditational feel that I am not a huge fan of.

What the hack, here’s the full album to go with that morning coffee (or afternoon tea).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #1,903 of 2,710
Something different….
Equilibrium with Christian Bale story where books, records and free though were outlawed. Push to silence free speech or comedy is already something that we are familiar with. Too offensive and politically incorrect for public consumption so LPs might be the only way to have few laughs.
50 years of Comedy Store on vinyl
featuring Richard
Pryor, Robin Williams, Whitney
Cummings, Bob Saget, Annie
Lederman, Jeff Ross, lan Edwards, lliza
and more.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #1,904 of 2,710
Hopefully in the future we never develop telepathic abilities … 😳
Have a few comedy LP’s bought in the 70’s, including a three LP set of The Goon Show,
Maybe only listen to them via closed back headphones ?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #1,905 of 2,710
Hopefully in the future we never develop telepathic abilities … 😳
Have a few comedy LP’s bought in the 70’s, including a three LP set of The Goon Show,
Maybe only listen to them via closed back headphones ?
Imagine in 50 years those LPs could become the foundation of the revolt against the system. Bible of a rebel. Lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back