Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,876 of 2,710
With older recordings there’s lots of options, unlikely the record companies would release an available 30-40 year old master tape if they have a good digital copy, so to buy new now it’s likely a digital master with analogue remastering and then off to the lathe, the remastering process the most critical in getting a good sounding finished product.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,877 of 2,710
The Iron Pig lives!

8F676E72-8FFD-4E79-9990-0C79A679C5E5.jpeg

Here in Germany, 1019s are a “thing”, not just among audiophiles and vintage audio enthusiasts. They have the nickname “Eisenschwein” due to their over-engineering…

All automatic functions work perfectly, no rumble or other noise, excellent pitch stability.

Tracking with the Ortofon 510 is not up to scratch. Maybe it’s because the VTA is much too high (still messing around with shims and wedges to get the cartridge parallel to the record)? The horizontal bearing of the arm is a little stiffer than I would like, but then I’m used to SME and Ortofon arms…

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,878 of 2,710
Apparently, 60 microns is all the 510 can manage! I’ve been spoiled by Audio-Technica ML styli…

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,879 of 2,710
With older recordings there’s lots of options, unlikely the record companies would release an available 30-40 year old master tape if they have a good digital copy, so to buy new now it’s likely a digital master with analogue remastering and then off to the lathe, the remastering process the most critical in getting a good sounding finished product.
I think we are going to see less and less of those true master tape (or any type of backup tape) transfers to lathe. Blue Note and Analog Production is an exception. BN uses OG tapes from their own vault and AP seeks out deals that can support their analog principles and be profitable at the same time. Everyone else will struggle a little with getting those master tapes. Safety tape term is a bit misunderstood a little I think. I could be wrong but safety tape is made even before the master tape. There’s no EQ of any kind on the safety master, nothing. Just a flat raw transfer. Then there’s a master with EQ, splices etc. And then a master back up. And production copies that are used to actually cut the lacquers from. Rarely anyone is using the actual master tape. But it became an optimistic second nature to refer to transfer from any tape as the master tape. But most ppl get the idea and understand these nuances.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #1,880 of 2,710
The Iron Pig lives!

8F676E72-8FFD-4E79-9990-0C79A679C5E5.jpeg

Here in Germany, 1019s are a “thing”, not just among audiophiles and vintage audio enthusiasts. They have the nickname “Eisenschwein” due to their over-engineering…

All automatic functions work perfectly, no rumble or other noise, excellent pitch stability.

Tracking with the Ortofon 510 is not up to scratch. Maybe it’s because the VTA is much too high (still messing around with shims and wedges to get the cartridge parallel to the record)? The horizontal bearing of the arm is a little stiffer than I would like, but then I’m used to SME and Ortofon arms…
That’s the same TT you have shown last time? Maybe it’s the lighting but it looks different.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,881 of 2,710
It’s the same turntable.

No cover this time, and the LP covers most of the chassis (the platter is only 10” diameter). It’s tiny, because it was developed to fit inside consoles. Many of these weren’t big enough to accommodate a full-sized chassis.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #1,882 of 2,710
The arm is a challenge, as it’s only about 8” long. Trying to use a two-point protractor is fun…

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #1,883 of 2,710
It’s the same turntable.

No cover this time, and the LP covers most of the chassis (the platter is only 10” diameter). It’s tiny, because it was developed to fit inside consoles. Many of these weren’t big enough to accommodate a full-sized chassis.
I see. That’s a tinny little thing. Kugelpanzer.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,884 of 2,710
“Group photo” with Garrard 301 for scale!

66EF7E36-F299-4B18-B47D-865482FAC919.jpeg

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,885 of 2,710
How it used to be done (different Dual model, example from small ads):

AE2E600A-713A-4B8E-96C0-D41752367C25.jpeg

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,886 of 2,710
Xute
“Group photo” with Garrard 301 for scale!

66EF7E36-F299-4B18-B47D-865482FAC919.jpeg
Cute. You said that plater is like 10” or so. Does it affect the playback in any way?

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,887 of 2,710
Not really. It weighs 3.5kg and continues spinning for minutes after the motor stops. Record support is according to the Ringmat principle.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,888 of 2,710
Not really. It weighs 3.5kg and continues spinning for minutes after the motor stops. Record support is according to the Ringmat principle.
I spoke to those guys who specialize with duals tt and the common theme is that they are great turntables but they need a bit of work to get them up to spects. Also, some periodic maintenance and calibration might be necessary. Not sure if that’s the case but it isn’t perhaps a TT for the beginners or ppl who aren’t familiar with TT inner workings. What do you think about that position on Dual TT?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,889 of 2,710
It was fun to work on. In some ways, it reminded me of an 18th century automaton, or a cuckoo clock that happens to play records. Half of the fun for me was taking it all to bits and putting it back together again! And the fact that it is entirely mechanical and intuitive, in a Victorian kind of way.

Also, I wanted an automatic turntable for my home office.

It certainly requires a bit of work, and a little knowledge of “Maschinenbau”! Like documenting the assemblies you dismantle, being able to read and understand a service manual, and using the correct lubricants (not just 3 in 1 for everything!

If you are happy messing about with old cars or bikes, you’ll feel right at home!

Remember: the basic auto changer mechanism goes back to the 50s.

The good thing about old Duals (and old VWs) is that almost every part is still available, either NOS, reconditioned or fresh off the 3D printer.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,890 of 2,710
The Iron Pig lives!

There you have had times a swine

Doesn't make sense in English :)

When it was made there were a lot of 10" records. Record companies cared more for singles than 12" lp's. And people still had many 78's. Full size record players were for people with money. As were lp's. I've seen prizes on old records that will make your hair stand up straight. Over €10 in the early sixties was a lot of money.

If you look at how lp's were made then, with lots of quality control and 200g records. Just look at the beautiful round edges of those old records, proper lined inner sleeves tio-on jackets, compare that with the sharp edge of flimsy 70-ies and 80-ies record in rough paper sleeves.

Also, with a thick 200g record the 1" overhang isn't much of a problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back