Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Nov 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #421 of 2,692
I just received the Lpaudio Ruby II cartridge. FedEx managed to make it a stressful experience again. I was waiting for the turntable but the cartridge went ahead. At least this one is in.

You can't argue with the packaging. You can with the spelling though. 🙃
Certainly looks the goods … 👍
Translations in documents can be an issue though, I remember a Pre amp Manual that when translated referred to an output socket on the rear as “designed for backside insertion” .. 😳

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #422 of 2,692
Looks nice. Not the question is, how it sounds and how it scales against completion?

Looking for cheap tonearm for my next project. Nothing fancy. Maybe something decent from Asian market?

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #423 of 2,692
Looks nice. Not the question is, how it sounds and how it scales against completion?

Looking for cheap tonearm for my next project. Nothing fancy. Maybe something decent from Asian market?
No such thing. I can't find Opera arms anymore and FFYX start at €700. I recommend a pro-ject arm for replacement. A really nice carbon arm can be found really cheap. I have one of these that really look the business and are well made, although relatively light. The other is a 2nd hand Rega arm that can be found for very little. Comparatively that is, like €200 - 300.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #424 of 2,692
Certainly looks the goods … 👍
Translations in documents can be an issue though, I remember a Pre amp Manual that when translated referred to an output socket on the rear as “designed for backside insertion” .. 😳
LOL. Reminds me of the chinglish translation of the bootleg Star Wars attack of the clones. "watch out, they attacking in my behind" "let us open up the dichotomy".
I had the same thing yesterday screwing down the top of the new workbench where we have these great power sockets dangling from the ceiling just above the workbench. I suddenly had the power socket dangling against my behind. That felt kind of weird. :scream:

Real men don't read no stinkin' manuals though. Just plug it in and go. :xf_cool: Most of the time I didn't have any issues with getting Chinese stuff working. Either I open it up to see which is which and what needs improving or it's rather self explanatory. And the manuals for SMSL stuff (my preference) are quite good.

A cart really doesn't need a manual. Try some exotic Japanese cart. You can't even properly align them because of the curved exterior (like Ortofon Anna or EAT Jo no#).

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #425 of 2,692
LOL. Reminds me of the chinglish translation of the bootleg Star Wars attack of the clones. "watch out, they attacking in my behind" "let us open up the dichotomy".
I had the same thing yesterday screwing down the top of the new workbench where we have these great power sockets dangling from the ceiling just above the workbench. I suddenly had the power socket dangling against my behind. That felt kind of weird. :scream:

Real men don't read no stinkin' manuals though. Just plug it in and go. :xf_cool: Most of the time I didn't have any issues with getting Chinese stuff working. Either I open it up to see which is which and what needs improving or it's rather self explanatory. And the manuals for SMSL stuff (my preference) are quite good.

A cart really doesn't need a manual. Try some exotic Japanese cart. You can't even properly align them because of the curved exterior (like Ortofon Anna or EAT Jo no#).
Some actually go as far as using a mirrored protractor and a magnifying glass to align the actual cantilever ?

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #426 of 2,692
Arrau.jpg

Solo piano does sound awesome on vinyl..

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #427 of 2,692
No such thing. I can't find Opera arms anymore and FFYX start at €700. I recommend a pro-ject arm for replacement. A really nice carbon arm can be found really cheap. I have one of these that really look the business and are well made, although relatively light. The other is a 2nd hand Rega arm that can be found for very little. Comparatively that is, like €200 - 300.
I was looking at 2nd hand Rega's. I like their tone arms in general. One of the main reasons what makes their turntables special.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #428 of 2,692
Some actually go as far as using a mirrored protractor and a magnifying glass to align the actual cantilever ?
USB microscope comes handy but their quality is just so, so. Positioning microscope is also tricky. If interested in using one, I would suggest using one of your junk records or $1 bin record. Cut outside edge of the record to the point of first grove. It makes it easier to position a microscope and see a grove.

And those odd shaped carts like EAT Joe that was mentioned, are really pain in the butt. Totally agree.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #429 of 2,692
First love from 1984. Never bought it until now, just completed it today. Still working. Sound is not spectacular though (good but vintage). I just like the looks and the ergonomics. The TT is the same as Technics dd tangential.

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_175001.jpg
    IMG_20211113_175001.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #430 of 2,692
There’s a lot of “bad” vinyl being pushed that came from questionable sources and without clear indication how it was remastered or by who and where. Especially with Amazon, Walmart and others trying to get their share from vinyl sells. It makes it a little confusing for most and shady.
Same with those cheap turntables being pushed for younger demographic to choke on. It’s a scam and you should be aware of it. Not you specifically but you know what I mean.
He he. I wish I were young!

My turntable is a rather esoteric device; its a Sony linear tracking unit. The turntable slides in and out into the chassis. Much like a CD tray. In theory it reduces distortion especially on inner grooves. I like it because it doesn't take up much room (no need to lift the dust lid).

Sounds good for all of my remaining 10 albums. All of which, in generql, are not on digital in the same configuration.
Three Jimi discs (one is a rare alternate French version of Axis Bold as Love); one Capital US Beatles rarities disc, three David Grisman titles, a Bill Joel DJ disc with portion of a HBO live show on one side; Leo Kottke collection not on digital, and probably something else but I don't remember what that might be. I think Jimi Smash Hits is on CD if you really want it but Jimi collections generally have a different track list than the vinyl equivalent. The international versions of Smash Hits have some bonus tracks that show up on the Are You Experienced CD (not the SACD which is the US LP on digital but the regular CD version has extras).

I loaned my other Denon turntable to a friend. I used to have a moving coil cartridge in that one! If you are really into vinyl it is worth looking into moving coil; it sounds very sweet. I really should not say loaned; I doubt it will ever come back.

But then again I have been spoiled by hi res digital (SACD and 24 bit) with its lack of pops and clicks. Yes, in theory analog should sound better. But I can't get past surface noise.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #431 of 2,692
He he. I wish I were young!

My turntable is a rather esoteric device; its a Sony linear tracking unit. The turntable slides in and out into the chassis. Much like a CD tray. In theory it reduces distortion especially on inner grooves. I like it because it doesn't take up much room (no need to lift the dust lid).

Sounds good for all of my remaining 10 albums. All of which, in generql, are not on digital in the same configuration.
Three Jimi discs (one is a rare alternate French version of Axis Bold as Love); one Capital US Beatles rarities disc, three David Grisman titles, a Bill Joel DJ disc with portion of a HBO live show on one side; Leo Kottke collection not on digital, and probably something else but I don't remember what that might be. I think Jimi Smash Hits is on CD if you really want it but Jimi collections generally have a different track list than the vinyl equivalent. The international versions of Smash Hits have some bonus tracks that show up on the Are You Experienced CD (not the SACD which is the US LP on digital but the regular CD version has extras).

I loaned my other Denon turntable to a friend. I used to have a moving coil cartridge in that one! If you are really into vinyl it is worth looking into moving coil; it sounds very sweet. I really should not say loaned; I doubt it will ever come back.

But then again I have been spoiled by hi res digital (SACD and 24 bit) with its lack of pops and clicks. Yes, in theory analog should sound better. But I can't get past surface noise.
I think you should stick with what makes you happy. If that thing is SACDs and streaming, that’s great. I don’t think that it is anybody’s business how you enjoy your music.
Whatever is the format of choice, does it really matter? I mean, …… priorities right? OCD-ed chase of latest flavor of the month or some sort of personal compromise that will still keep us curious about ways we can tweak those personal goals and still be passionate about music.

Vintage, ohhh sweet vintage.
So many great and relatively affordable ways to get aboard vintage wagon. From legendary integrated amps to turntables that still compete with the best (with a little help). The only problem is in finding them and than having skills or knowledgeable tech. to bring it up to spects. Other than that, it’s a lovely idea.
I’m not familiar with gear you mentioned. Impossible to know it all. Lol.
I do have old Lafayette turntable with build-in phonostage and speaker integrated SS amplifier. It’s based on some mass produced Garrard (no not 301 lol). And to top it off, it’s an auto LP changer. Turntables works but needs some work, amplifier needs some major restoration tho. If I find someone locally to get that amp working, I’ll give it to my daughter and pray that she bites on LPs.
Found some oldish Music Hall tonearm so perhaps I could try fit it on it. There’s very little info in this TT/amp combo and getting schematics is tricky if not impossible.

Listening to Heavy Cream on cousin’s little vinyl system.
image.jpg

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #432 of 2,692
First love from 1984. Never bought it until now, just completed it today. Still working. Sound is not spectacular though (good but vintage). I just like the looks and the ergonomics. The TT is the same as Technics dd tangential.
That’s very cool. Looks slick too.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #433 of 2,692
Back in the 1980s, Akai had some very interesting designs (aesthetically, that is). Simple, reduced lines, rounded rectangles ( I believe designers call them “squircles”). In some ways, this design aesthetic (give or take some rather gaudy fluorescent displays) bridges the gap between Dieter Rams and Jonathan Ive…

Back in the 80s, I couldn’t resist, and bought an HX-A3X tape deck.

Nov 14, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #434 of 2,692
So my super cheap vinyl setup was very wel received. She was very pleased with it and they were all super impressed with the sound quality of the speakers (dad and boyfriend too). There's just so much you can expect from a €5 turntable + €30 phono but the bonus Bluetooth on the TPA3116 amp takes it to another level entirely just from the phone. She is now a real high end chick 🐥

That was real rewarding.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #435 of 2,692
Got some freebies today. Including Led Zappelin II and Yes - Fragile. Unfortunately, no covers for those two. I can live with that. Lol

Also found Scott HH 299 C tube integrated amp. Also freebie. That amp could turn out to be quite a nice amp. If it works. Had some rare Telefunken tubes in it as well.
Happy hunting guys. :wink:

D5ED51C7-61F3-4B74-BEA1-821269435073.jpeg

Some of those freebies…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back