Vintage pioneer receiver-- awesome headphone section?
Sep 5, 2009 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darkdork

New Head-Fier
I bought a vintage Pioneer SX-3600 receiver for a living-room stereo system I'm tossing together. After getting the thing home, I plugged in my turntable, and... just for fun, I plugged my RS-2's into the headphone out.

The sound is great! Maybe not quite the same synergy as it has with the RA-1, but still really enjoyable and warm. Anyone have experience with older Pioneer amps, or have any info about what kind of headphone section they put in these things back in the day?

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Would it be ok to use a receiver like this with headphones only, no speakers attached, and not risk damage to the receiver? I have an old HK 330b which sounds pretty good & I think the headphone jack is part of the speaker out.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 5
I will say this till I'm blue in the face.. Go Vintage.. Find these great receivers at yard sales & flea markets for 20-30 bucks.. Vintage. Vintage. Vintage. Audio hasn't changed much since the 30's-50's.. My Yamaha is new, 07, but has a impressive headphone amp section. Synergies very well with my DT48 8 ohm with 120 ohm adapter.. Plus gives me the added benefit to increase the bass, treble, highs, & lows....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back