Vintage or modern speakers?
Aug 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier
Well, originally i was planning to get something like this NFB-12/5-->KrK rokits/audio engine 2 or 5.. might cost 500-600 in total

then lately ive been reading abt vintage stuff sounding better than modern ones... but then maybe it was just for main stream receivers.. and the story might be different if i just get a dac and an active speaker.

so my other option is for vintage higher models from marantz/pioneer/sansui receiver >Polk Audio RTA 8TL. might cost me 300-600, something like that.. just want some good advice from you guys! since i trust this site alot.

anyways i listen to music alternative/pop/hiphop as much as i watch movies, and i also have a pair of aiaiai tma-1 headphones to come along with. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Vintage receivers and amps are fine. Modern speakers are (generally) better. Computer modeling has moved transducer, cabinet and crossover design along quite well.

There are exceptions. I think the vintage Quad ESLs stack up well against modern designs. ThereMs a reason why their new models are similar to the ESL-63s.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 23
I almost nabbed either a pair of Acoustic Research AR18S or JBL DCM CX-07 but ended up with an out of production Polks instead and since i am hardly 2-3 feet away from speakers a T-amp drives them sweetly for me and the whole thing costed me very little too so vintage/used ftw 
L3000.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 23
I would have to cast a vote for the vintage race too BUT not all vintage is equal. Some of my favourite bookshelfs date back to 80s/90s - Mission 781, Dynaudio .... Buying vintage to me is selecting from the cream of the crop from a "past fad" era. Occasionally things pop up on audiogon or craigslist which are just too good to be true ( and they generally don't hang around for any time ). I had a quick snoop at Agon and these ProAc's caught my eye , possibly still too steep for the budget but there are many deals to be had versus buying new. The best would be to scour the web for an old "highly recommended" list of gear. Strange for me to think of "vintage" as being from the 80s and 90s but I would be weary of most of the 50/6070s era audio and unless you delve into the true treasures aka the Quad ESLs, big horns etc. You could of course take advantage of model clearance sales eg wharfedale recently cleared out a ton of stock and the prices were ridiculously good. Speaking of wharfedale there is a pair of Diamond 9's on this forum for $75 and an instant system for $200. Luckily the choices are endless and there will be a product that will suite your needs at most any price point. And just to stir the argument , modern computer design can achieve wonders - take a look at the new pioneer bookshelf which, at $150 new, is going to be hard to beat. There is a full review with measurements in the latest stereophile. good luck ..dB

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 23

those are some good looking speakers btw! for the last pioneer, youthink they could beat the polk audio rta-8tl i might get it for 50-65 if the guy replies, if not i might jump on that one, i might add a DAC w/ the receiver later on too.

omg those quad esl are so expensive lol

EDIT: nvm somebody already bought the 8tls >.<
Quote:
I would have to cast a vote for the vintage race too BUT not all vintage is equal. Some of my favourite bookshelfs date back to 80s/90s - Mission 781, Dynaudio .... Buying vintage to me is selecting from the cream of the crop from a "past fad" era. Occasionally things pop up on audiogon or craigslist which are just too good to be true ( and they generally don't hang around for any time ). I had a quick snoop at Agon and these ProAc's caught my eye , possibly still too steep for the budget but there are many deals to be had versus buying new. The best would be to scour the web for an old "highly recommended" list of gear. Strange for me to think of "vintage" as being from the 80s and 90s but I would be weary of most of the 50/6070s era audio and unless you delve into the true treasures aka the Quad ESLs, big horns etc. You could of course take advantage of model clearance sales eg wharfedale recently cleared out a ton of stock and the prices were ridiculously good. Speaking of wharfedale there is a pair of Diamond 9's on this forum for $75 and an instant system for $200. Luckily the choices are endless and there will be a product that will suite your needs at most any price point. And just to stir the argument , modern computer design can achieve wonders - take a look at the new pioneer bookshelf which, at $150 new, is going to be hard to beat. There is a full review with measurements in the latest stereophile. good luck ..dB

ty for your advice guys! thrift store hunting today

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 23
If the polk are in good shape, you would be hard to better that $50-60 spent. Nothing moves air like the mechanics which enable air to be moved ie big floor standing speakers will have much more presence than small monitors which tend to excel at imaging..dB

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
If the polk are in good shape, you would be hard to better that $50-60 spent. Nothing moves air like the mechanics which enable air to be moved ie big floor standing speakers will have much more presence than small monitors which tend to excel at imaging..dB

unfortunately its been sold already..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206  sales ends at 8/23 :frowning2:  maybe i can add a sub http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290035
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-BS41-LR?tab=reviews

man thyre going wild with their discounts

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
oh man i saw a 350$ one for 4311's im just not familiar in finding how good the condition is... http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/2556462268.html

Wow, thats a little high. Of course vintage re-sellers will say "condition is everything" but as long as they have been re-foamed recently and are working that that should be fine. For $350 they better be mint with original packaging, manuals,etc. Otherwise thats wayyy to high, my friend Tom has pair for $200 with some scratches, but work fine.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 23

ohhh it did looked super aged on the pic ill just be looking for a good one around my area thanks bro! btw i liked my akai receiver that i got from the thrift store better than my 6.1 htr yamaha already 
Quote:
Wow, thats a little high. Of course vintage re-sellers will say "condition is everything" but as long as they have been re-foamed recently and are working that that should be fine. For $350 they better be mint with original packaging, manuals,etc. Otherwise thats wayyy to high, my friend Tom has pair for $200 with some scratches, but work fine.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Yeah thanks to the huge variety of features of modern receivers each part, the headohone out, the dac, suffer. But then again vintage receivers cost a boat load in the past as well; comparable to $2000 or so today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back