vintage dt880
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there anyone with experience with a vintage dt880 (late 80s)? I just bought one and am waiting for it to be sent to me. I have a dt990 from the same period which is one of the best headphones I've ever heard and I am curious whether the dt880 from the same period is as good.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 84
I have not, but I'm looking forward to your impressions
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 84
i have one needing repairs on the way to me as well

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 84
Late 80's? Not sure that exists as a distinct version.

The DT880 released in 1980 came in three flavors. DT880, DT880-M, and DT880-S.

Every DT880-M I've seen has had a black grille on the back.

My DT880-S has a pinkish grille, but I've seen some that had a silver grille.

The regular DT880 from 1980 may have only come in silver, or may have come in silver and pink. I don't remember.

My DT880-S is bass-lite, but it was supposed to come with pleather pads, and it has velours on it. That probably impacted the sound a lot.

On all of these, the grille is basically the same stamped aluminum with horizontal slots. The grille is easily damaged, too, so handle them carefully.

I'm under the impression that the 880 was replaced with the black-plastic-grilled dt990 in 1985, and later revived with the flat sintered aluminum grille at some point in the nineties. Beyer's brochures indicate that the 880 was discontinued and then brought back. But i could be wrong about the timeline.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone with experience with a vintage dt880 (late 80s)? I just bought one and am waiting for it to be sent to me. I have a dt990 from the same period which is one of the best headphones I've ever heard and I am curious whether the dt880 from the same period is as good.

I have the DT-880s from the 80's (the silver-grilled version) and am looking forward to hear your comparison with the vintage DT-990.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Late 80's? Not sure that exists as a distinct version.

The DT880 released in 1980 came in three flavors. DT880, DT880-M, and DT880-S.

Every DT880-M I've seen has had a black grille on the back.

My DT880-S has a pinkish grille, but I've seen some that had a silver grille.

The regular DT880 from 1980 may have only come in silver, or may have come in silver and pink. I don't remember.

My DT880-S is bass-lite, but it was supposed to come with pleather pads, and it has velours on it. That probably impacted the sound a lot.

On all of these, the grille is basically the same stamped aluminum with horizontal slots. The grille is easily damaged, too, so handle them carefully.

I'm under the impression that the 880 was replaced with the black-plastic-grilled dt990 in 1985, and later revived with the flat sintered aluminum grille at some point in the nineties. Beyer's brochures indicate that the 880 was discontinued and then brought back. But i could be wrong about the timeline.

Thanks for the infor, Eric! The one I ordered seems to be a regular dt880 with a silver grill and pleather pads. I'll be sure to handle the grills carefully.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not, but I'm looking forward to your impressions
icon10.gif

will do!

@ Acix: and provide some pics of course.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the DT-880s from the 80's (the silver-grilled version) and am looking forward to hear your comparison with the vintage DT-990.
biggrin.gif

I'll try to do a thorough comparison between the two, but that might take some time, as we are in the process of moving house at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 84
Well, I got the dt880 today. I opened the parcel and out came a very smelly (tobacco!) dt880 with the inner foam half gone (none of which the seller mentioned). I am still at work, so I only have access to a LD I+ hybrid amp, which does well with a pair of k500s but when I tried a vintage paid of dt990s, the results were not good. I just plugged ole smelly in and am now listening to the Tord Gustavsen Trio's wonderful jazz. Despite the tobacco smell, the foam over the drivers mostly gone, and using an amp which was designed for low-impedance headphones, the dt880 sounds very, very good. Great soundstage (not huge, but airy and accurate). It's also much more intimate than I thought the soundstage would be. A bit like a vintage ath woodie. You're right there on the stage with the musicians. Highs are both sparklingish and a little muffled, if that's make sense. I think a more powerful amp would help there. Detail is very good. Have to wait and try it on the solo to see whether it's as good as the vintage dt990. Neutral presentation, but very involving. Not like the '03 dt880 I used to have at all (which I found rather boring). Bass almost akg-like in its leanness, but extends very deep. You can here every note beginning and ending, decay is just right. Mids are neutral, not forward, but also not recessed.

OK, just put on some Julie London. Now listening to a very 'full' version of Fly me the moon. The dt880 is very good in separating the instruments and putting the vocals right in front of you. On Cry me a river, only accompanied by electric guitar and double bass, she is right in my head. This is a very, very good headphone (despite the SMELL!). Can't wait to try it with the solo. I wonder what the impedance on this one is. Probable not 600 Ohms like the dt990 I have, because the LD drives it pretty well.

On to something more contemporary: Radiohead. Now it's age (or its being underpowered) is starting to show. OK computer sounds involving, seductive even, but also as if you're present at a set played in an underground bar. It's a bit too dark and the lowest bass notes aren't very well articulated. A bit like the dt990 when I tried it on the LDI+. It's trying too hard.

Gonzales' Solo Piano then. Now it's back in its element. Playful, detailed, intimate and accurate. I hadn't expected the dt880 to be less analytical than the dt990, but there it is: my vintage dt990 is definitely more analytical, while this dt880 is like a neutral version of a high-end audio technica...

Gonna listen some more and try it at home tonight. I'm sure my impressions will change over the next few weeks. For now, I'm happy with this new purchase. I was distinctly less impressed with the hd600 when I first tried it than I am now with this much, much cheaper purchase. Ithink I'm going to start Team Vintage Beyer.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 84
Just put in one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and despite the pleasing rendition, I think it is very clear that these babies need more current. Nonetheless, it's pleasant listening and the detail is very good.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 84
Well, I'm at home and plugged in Old Smelly in the GS Solo. The juice of the solo makes a large difference. Radiohead doesn't sound congested anymore and the sound is more dynamic now. Detail is outstanding. I did the Glenn Gould Test (with the Goldberg Variations: the better you can hear Gould humming/singin along with the piano, the better the headphones) and it passed with flying colors. Am going to have an extended listen until the tobacco smell catches up with me. Only thing that's less than expected is the treble. Perhaps the deteriorated foam has something to do with this.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 84
Thanks REB, for the impressions. Seems worth hunting
normal_smile .gif

Any pics coming?
I've seen so many DT880 models on Ebay (letting them all go), that I'm curious how yours look like.
Are the pads on your DT880 still firm?

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks REB, for the impressions. Seems worth hunting
normal_smile .gif

Any pics coming?
I've seen so many DT880 models on Ebay (letting them all go), that I'm curious how yours look like.
Are the pads on your DT880 still firm?

ebay.de it's the best for haunting vintage DTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back