Vintage (but not too vintage....)
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my late '80s Kenwood based home stereo and would like some suggestions for semi audiophile components (aka: cheapniss) that I might be able to find in good used shape. I'm looking for a tuner, integrated amp (or a receiver) and a single disc player. I'd like to pay less than $200 for each component (less is more). Vintage is OK but too vintage might be iffy because I really would rather not have to fix the suckers. Clean, precise sound is the watchword.
Any suggestions for brands and or units to look for?

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 15
CDP: OPPO DV-970HD (great sounding CDP and can double for your movies as well)

Amp: Some Vintage Dynaco (worst case is a re-cap) These amps ran the tubes below their ratings and lasted a long time. Many are still working and can be found on ebay

Tuner: I would find some older Yamaha Natural sound tuners since they are cheap and perform well.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 15
A good CD player is the Sony SCD-CE595. You can find warrantied refurbs under $100, sometimes as low as $60 from Sony. I had one for awhile and it sounds good. It'll also play SACD, which is a benefit if you like jazz or classical. Also keep an eye out for an original Rega Planet. They go between $250-$300 and are quite good. I've had one for a couple of years and have not been able to bring myself to sell it, even though it isn't used much. Great, sweet sounding CDP with one of the best cases I've seen.

For receivers, I like NAD gear. You should be able to find something in your price range. If it doesn't have a tuner, Yamaha made nice ones. You can check out Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners for more information.

If you enjoy radio, give some thought to a good antenna - they're about as important as the tuner itself. Put one on the roof if you can, Radio Shack sells a nice one for $30. You can also roll your own for $20 or less.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 15
New Parasound P/DD-1500 Digital Surround Decoder 120V - eBay (item 390007584937 end time Nov-20-08 07:51:38 PST)

I would really recommend this component esp if you are going to build onto your home theater set up.

It is a surround processor but it also functions like a 2 channel dac. It uses PCM63s for the front two channels (Much like the Parasound dac1000/1100 and their balanced counterparts the 1500/1600) and pcm1702s for the other channels. These are all top flight R2R chips that for redbook can sound superior to their more modern delta sigma counter parts

I have that unit and its accompanying pre amp myself feeding my speaker rig and it sounds phenomenal.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 15
If you have a little patience, try used Adcom. The GCD-575 CDP has great features and quality sound. Vintage but long lasting. Mine is still in mint condition. You can get a combo tuner/preamp and separate amp all for probably less than $300 total. Adcom has newer integrated receivers, but they will cost more. These things are built like tanks with warm, sweet sound. My 2 Cents.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Wow, these are all great ideas. I've been cruising on Ebay with the above info and I like what I see. The OPPO CD/DVD looks great especially as it plays SACDs. Are the other models as good?
I've been looking at NAD and Adcom receiver/amps and those look great. Built like a tank, they look. I just want a nice clean sound ...power is not the issue.
As for radio...my morning/evening and weekend ritual is NPR. If it only had one place on the dial that would be it. I get my music elsewhere. I just spent the weekend constructing a dipole antenna in the attic...works wonderfully.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 15
Icarium!

I was watching that! Now you ruined it....
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 15
I've decided to go after the amp first (finances...sheesh) and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a model and year of NAD or Adcom and perhaps if there are any I should stay away from. I have read that some of the NADs might suffer from "dry" solder and are a little fragile.
I really would prefer a receiver or at least an integrated amp rather than a pre-amp/amp/tuner combo because of space. Perhaps a pre-amp/tuner and an amp.
I am currently building a low, walnut cradenza style cabinet on which the TV will rest ...but there will really only be room for three regular size components of maybe four if they are thin. It looks like the OPPO CD/DVD player will be thin but the Adcom amps are, shall we say, portly.
SAF (spousal acceptance factor) also has to be high.....

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Budget musical integrated solid state amp: Nad, Rotel
Budget musical tube amp: Jolida, Prima luna
Budget musical tuner: Denon + (at least) Terk antenna
Budget musical integrated CDP: Nad, Rotel, Rega, Arcam, Naim, Creek
Budget DVD player: Pioneer

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 15
What about the Rega Brio integrated amp? I'm seeing them NOS for ~$250.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Icarium!

I was watching that! Now you ruined it....
frown.gif

Well it has a weaker output stage anyways for sure. I've opened it up and compared it is a lot less stuffed.

Now there's a DAC1000 now too which is basically like a DAC1100 but with a different weaker filter and thus also is incapable of decoding hdcd. Still going to sound great and be an incredible value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Rega Brio integrated amp? I'm seeing them NOS for ~$250.

This is certainly the best choice in this budget.
You can also get a CD "Planet" at low price as well.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 15
Let me throw a few more "hopefuls" out there (as in I hope I can find them cheap...)

What do people think of:
Rotel RA-02
NAD C320BEE
Cambridge 340a SE
I know I'm dreaming but those are close enough to the $200 mark that I might just stumble onto one....

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Cambridge is average, but Nad and Rotel are good.
A Nad mellow sounding CD and a dynamic Rotel will make a sweet combo,
along with cheap QED cables (to stay english).

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cambridge is average, but Nad and Rotel are good.
A Nad mellow sounding CD and a dynamic Rotel will make a sweet combo,
along with cheap QED cables (to stay english).

Cambridge are British as are QED.

NAD and Rotel are not.

Rotel is a Japanese company although their design work is done in the UK.

NAD is and has always been a North American company (operating out of Boston and Ontario). NAD are (maybe were is better) stunningly popular in the UK and the 3020 is iconic.

My first proper amp was a Rotel RA211, I currently own a Rotel RA832 Amp and an RCC940AX multichanger.

I used to have a NAD C542 and I still have a NAD 3020 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back