Vintage AKG K141 Monitor... WOW
Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Okay so today my NEVER USED, BRAND NEW AKG K141 Monitor finally arrived. As soon as I opened the shipping box, the iconic "Cardan" de luxe box is visible with AKG K141 below. I am told that these have the Sextett driver (I have no idea what that means) and my gosh these look good. It comes with everything intect, even the cardboard that keeps the headphones together is untouched. This really is the real deal. No previous owners, never used, and never touched AKG K141s. These sound really good... Like I mean it... It's REAL good for what I paid ($39.99 US). The sound feels a little old-school... I don't know how to describe it... It feels and sounds original. With that said, these are BRAND new so there is still a burn-in period. I gotta say... For a 20 year old headphone (I'm estimating?) it sounds remarkable. BTW the earpads feel completely fine. Only problem was the sponge filter was falling to pieces so I removed it and replaced it with another piece of thin sponge I aquired from my old Jays V-Jays headphone pads. Don't know if I should do a review or not... Any other K141 owners?

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
Okay so today my NEVER USED, BRAND NEW AKG K141 Monitor finally arrived. As soon as I opened the shipping box, the iconic "Cardan" de luxe box is visible with AKG K141 below. I am told that these have the Sextett driver (I have no idea what that means) and my gosh these look good. It comes with everything intect, even the cardboard that keeps the headphones together is untouched. This really is the real deal. No previous owners, never used, and never touched AKG K141s. These sound really good... Like I mean it... It's REAL good for what I paid ($39.99 US). The sound feels a little old-school... I don't know how to describe it... It feels and sounds original. With that said, these are BRAND new so there is still a burn-in period. I gotta say... For a 20 year old headphone (I'm estimating?) it sounds remarkable. BTW the earpads feel completely fine. Only problem was the sponge filter was falling to pieces so I removed it and replaced it with another piece of thin sponge I aquired from my old Jays V-Jays headphone pads. Don't know if I should do a review or not... Any other K141 owners?

You paid 40 bucks for them?

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 22
Op, how easy to drive are they? whats your source? you using the E9 with them? 

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Just found my pair outside my front door.  :)  Did you remove the ear pads to replace the sponge filters?  If so, how did you get them off?  From what I can see the ear pads are glued on.

No, my sponge filters were pretty much melted away so i got a tweezer and just pulled them off. After doing so, I cut out the same shape using my old Jays V-Jays headphones foam pads (sorry Jays) and good to go filters right there. Just had to squeeze them in a little.

Quote:
You paid 40 bucks for them?

39.99 USD without shipping. and they are LEGIT and I am the first REAL owner.

Quote:
Op, how easy to drive are they? whats your source? you using the E9 with them? 

They are harder than I expected. They sound pretty good coming out of a laptop and iPhone, but makes a world of difference when amped to my E9 or E7.

May 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 22
Please, please....How did you find them?
I am desesperated for finding them. (Sorry for my bad english, I´m spanish)
Could you tell me how to get them? It´s a present for my husband who is looking for them. He really apreciate good sound.

A desesperated wife.

May 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 22
If you're in Europe, try to find one on eBay from the German-Austrian region, those old AKG's are really common there. Prices on the 141 Monitor seem to vary somewhat. I've seen decent units for €25 and for €75 (w/o shipping). That's eBay I guess :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 22
Hi all. I've picked up a pair of these vintage akg's not fully knowing what model they were. I believe they are the 141s. I picked it up for $30 USD.

I'm in the market to pickup an amp and DAC. Any recommendations for this model?

I currently have a sennheiser hd25 and hd280. I haven't needed to amp them. I'm playing flac from my sansa clip plus but it is coming out pretty weak on this akg pair.

Glad to see people excited about this model. Looking forward to giving out some head time.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 22
Try and get new pads if they are now fabric.If they are fabric now that means the original pleather coating has worn off.  That will affect the sound a fair bit.
Nice score. These are great.
Keep in mind though that the new 141 pads are a different mechanism i think they include some sort of plastic clip attachment, you might be able to break those off or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back