Vintage AKG K141 Monitor... WOW
post-8110900
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 22

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
50
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Posts
1,942
Likes
50
Okay so today my NEVER USED, BRAND NEW AKG K141 Monitor finally arrived. As soon as I opened the shipping box, the iconic "Cardan" de luxe box is visible with AKG K141 below. I am told that these have the Sextett driver (I have no idea what that means) and my gosh these look good. It comes with everything intect, even the cardboard that keeps the headphones together is untouched. This really is the real deal. No previous owners, never used, and never touched AKG K141s. These sound really good... Like I mean it... It's REAL good for what I paid ($39.99 US). The sound feels a little old-school... I don't know how to describe it... It feels and sounds original. With that said, these are BRAND new so there is still a burn-in period. I gotta say... For a 20 year old headphone (I'm estimating?) it sounds remarkable. BTW the earpads feel completely fine. Only problem was the sponge filter was falling to pieces so I removed it and replaced it with another piece of thin sponge I aquired from my old Jays V-Jays headphone pads. Don't know if I should do a review or not... Any other K141 owners?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8111073
Post #2 of 22

The Other Allen

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Messages
341
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Posts
341
Likes
10
http://www.head-fi.org/t/576937/akg-k141-review-and-appreciation-thread
 
Thanks for the heads-up -- I just ordered a pair off E-Bay.  NOS at a great price!
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8132122
Post #4 of 22

The Other Allen

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Messages
341
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 1, 2006
Posts
341
Likes
10
Just found my pair outside my front door.  :)  Did you remove the ear pads to replace the sponge filters?  If so, how did you get them off?  From what I can see the ear pads are glued on.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8132271
Post #5 of 22

Taowolf51

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
1,877
Reaction score
200
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Posts
1,877
Likes
200


Quote:
Okay so today my NEVER USED, BRAND NEW AKG K141 Monitor finally arrived. As soon as I opened the shipping box, the iconic "Cardan" de luxe box is visible with AKG K141 below. I am told that these have the Sextett driver (I have no idea what that means) and my gosh these look good. It comes with everything intect, even the cardboard that keeps the headphones together is untouched. This really is the real deal. No previous owners, never used, and never touched AKG K141s. These sound really good... Like I mean it... It's REAL good for what I paid ($39.99 US). The sound feels a little old-school... I don't know how to describe it... It feels and sounds original. With that said, these are BRAND new so there is still a burn-in period. I gotta say... For a 20 year old headphone (I'm estimating?) it sounds remarkable. BTW the earpads feel completely fine. Only problem was the sponge filter was falling to pieces so I removed it and replaced it with another piece of thin sponge I aquired from my old Jays V-Jays headphone pads. Don't know if I should do a review or not... Any other K141 owners?
You paid 40 bucks for them?
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8132326
Post #6 of 22

jackwess

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
41
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Posts
1,375
Likes
41
Op, how easy to drive are they? whats your source? you using the E9 with them? 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8153851
Post #7 of 22

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
50
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Posts
1,942
Likes
50


Quote:
Just found my pair outside my front door.  :)  Did you remove the ear pads to replace the sponge filters?  If so, how did you get them off?  From what I can see the ear pads are glued on.

No, my sponge filters were pretty much melted away so i got a tweezer and just pulled them off. After doing so, I cut out the same shape using my old Jays V-Jays headphones foam pads (sorry Jays) and good to go filters right there. Just had to squeeze them in a little.
 


Quote:
You paid 40 bucks for them?
 
 


39.99 USD without shipping. and they are LEGIT and I am the first REAL owner.


Quote:
Op, how easy to drive are they? whats your source? you using the E9 with them? 

They are harder than I expected. They sound pretty good coming out of a laptop and iPhone, but makes a world of difference when amped to my E9 or E7.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8356572
Post #9 of 22

Iseult

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 3, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 3, 2012
Posts
2
Likes
10
Please, please....How did you find them?
I am desesperated for finding them. (Sorry for my bad english, I´m spanish)
Could you tell me how to get them? It´s a present for my husband who is looking for them. He really apreciate good sound.
 
A desesperated wife.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8362564
Post #11 of 22

Iseult

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 3, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 3, 2012
Posts
2
Likes
10
Thank you. I´ll be looking for it.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8384145
Post #12 of 22

andi85

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
19
Reaction score
22
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Posts
19
Likes
22
If you're in Europe, try to find one on eBay from the German-Austrian region, those old AKG's are really common there. Prices on the 141 Monitor seem to vary somewhat. I've seen decent units for €25 and for €75 (w/o shipping). That's eBay I guess :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-9087654
Post #13 of 22

rumtea

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 23, 2013
Posts
1
Likes
10
I found one here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140902405150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
 
     Share This Post       
post-10338524
Post #14 of 22

sub7

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Posts
5
Likes
10
Hi all. I've picked up a pair of these vintage akg's not fully knowing what model they were. I believe they are the 141s. I picked it up for $30 USD.

I'm in the market to pickup an amp and DAC. Any recommendations for this model?

I currently have a sennheiser hd25 and hd280. I haven't needed to amp them. I'm playing flac from my sansa clip plus but it is coming out pretty weak on this akg pair.

Glad to see people excited about this model. Looking forward to giving out some head time.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10338588
Post #15 of 22

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
5,253
Reaction score
1,185
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Posts
5,253
Likes
1,185
Try and get new pads if they are now fabric.If they are fabric now that means the original pleather coating has worn off.  That will affect the sound a fair bit.
Nice score. These are great.
Keep in mind though that the new 141 pads are a different mechanism i think they include some sort of plastic clip attachment, you might be able to break those off or something.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top