Vinegar isn't working D:
Aug 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Scottyyy

500+ Head-Fier
So I bought some Denon D5000s 2 days ago from a head-fier. They are extremely good except for the fact the previous owner smokes, so the headphones smell of smoke. I don't mind too much, but I'd like to try and get rid of the smell. So far the only method I have tried is vinegar. I put the headphones in a box with a cup of vinegar next to them for 24 hours. It didn't really make a difference. So next I used a plastic bag so and tightened it a lot so there was no room at all. Just took them out after 24 hours and there's only a small difference in the smell.

Am I using the wrong vinegar? The only one the store had was extremely cheap malt vinegar. Do I need white vinegar? That's what most people talk about.

Is it better to put them in an extremely enclosed place with the vinegar, or loose in a box?

Cheers

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 18
Baking soda? I use that to get the smell of leftovers out of my fridge and I have a pretty neutral smelling fridge lol

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 18
If the baking soda doesn't work, try spraying them down with Fabreze.  Here in the U.S., it's product that is great a neutralizing odors.  If you can't find it, you might want to check out a hardware store that sells something like DampRid.  It's a product available in quite a few places - even Amazon.  It's supposed to be pretty good at absorbing odors.

http://www.damprid.com/odor-eliminator/odor-materials

Personally, as a practice, I don't buy items that have come from a smoker.  It's just not pleasant for me.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Run a few searches to see if there is an ozone chamber nearby. They are more common than most think.

Ozone chambers are used to remove the smell of smoke from furniture, etc. after a fire. Prices aren't too bad, either, if you have a small item.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Run a few searches to see if there is an ozone chamber nearby. They are more common than most think.

Ozone chambers are used to remove the smell of smoke from furniture, etc. after a fire. Prices aren't too bad, either, if you have a small item.

I've also heard that's what they do with vehicles that have belonged to smokers, too.  It apparently does a pretty good job at removing all the smoke smell.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 18
If I remeber correctly it eats/degrades certain plastics ( at what point though ?), not sure what those drivers are made of. I'm sure short term exposure shouldn't cause problems but don't quote me on it.

I'd be curious to find out what works as well: I ordered a vintage Audition brand set that even after a wipedown with windex and alcohol still have a lingering smoke stink. I smoke from time to time but never inside. Wouldn't you have to remove the actual residue? I heard vinegar does help to wipe it off. What about oxyclean? I wonder if that would ruin the finish on them though
I'll try some things too if I get to it and check back in.

I'll also put them directly in front of my heavenfresh ionizer on high see what happens. Doing that right now.
These are way too cheap to play around with an ozone chamber :) unlike yours

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:

I had never even heard of an ozone chamber before.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 18
Well it is really a simple solution.

Take off the pads.Being that there is really only the headband that is able to contain some smell. Treat the headband with a water based fabric smell remover then replace your pads with Denon or some after markets.Be very careful not to get the fabric smell reducer on the drivers. I think 90% of your smell is from the ear pads!

Let us know how it works out. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 18
The earpads and headband smell exactly the same actually. :p

The slow is slowly going away anyway. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it. I can now only smell them when I actually try, I can't smell the smoke when I'm just wearing them. A few more hours next to baking soda/vinegar and they should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back