Views on Drugs/Alcohol
Jun 17, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Ken
[1] If you can not choose the time you wish to take a particular drug (including cigarettes) then you are addicted.
This can go the range from controlling ones life making no other progress possible in career mainly along to continued social use. I note that this group almost always is never out of the influence of a drug.
One has to wonder why this person cannot face reality . Usually in my experience is most times comes back to one feeling unloved.

Generally I agree except in the case of prescription drungs when used as directed.

Once I threw my back out and I had absolutly NO choice as to the time and place to take the pain killers I was on. My back made that decision for me!

Honestly I thought it was cool being high for like the first day... The second day it was old and by the third day I was waiting until I couldn't bear the pain anymore before taking half the dosage I was on. By the third day I really had a hard time struggling with which was worse, being stoned or being in agony. It's amazing how quickly being messed-up gets old even when it means not having to crawl to the bathroom in pain to take a piss.

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

If you can not choose the time you wish to take a particular drug (including cigarettes) then you are addicted.

Does that mean when I was strapped down by three women at the tender (yeah my ass ) age of fifteen and FORCED to drink to the point of intoxication I am an addict ? (funnel was involved)

OOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

what will I ever do now
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42

Does that mean when I was strapped down by three women at the tender (yeah my ass ) age of fifteen and FORCED to drink to the point of intoxication I am an addict ? (funnel was involved)

OOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

what will I ever do now
tongue.gif

I want to go to your parties man! I have fantasies about being strapped down by three women!! You've lived it... YOU'RE MY HERO!!

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #51 of 64
rick,

no, you put the "sugar cubes" aside and wait for the fourth dimension to slip away
wink.gif

dominique swain, anna paquin, and halle berry once strapped me down and made me do dirty things. then my alarm clock went off and i had to get out of bed.

where'd my bong go?

_______

anyway, with the drugs argument: its simple, drugs can allow one to see the world a little differently, through different eyes. is it a sign of weakness? let me put it this way: if you can't live life sober you've got a problem. if you do drugs so often that you only *think* you're sober its time to quit. if drugs are necessary for function its time to quit.

i've seen a few close friends lose a lot to different drugs, and i've seen myself lose something to a particular drug that took me a long time to break (and haven't touched it for three years now). so, yes, it is dangerous. but i enjoy my coffee and cigarette in the morning while working the daily crossword, wine at a special or romantic dinner, beer with buddies, camping or hiking with only nature as exhiliration, and drugs at certain occasions. in moderation, they enhance life and are forms of celebration. unfortunately, it takes some people (including myself) a while to realise it.

(btw, remember that excessive use of the internet and spending ungodly sums of money on audio equipment is very much an addiction
wink.gif
)

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

no, you put the "sugar cubes" aside and wait for the fourth dimension to slip away

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Heh,being the age I am means I grew up in an era when drugs were rampant , and yes we experimented with acid back then (four way blotter , winow pane , micro dot ,liquid ) and some damn dangerous **** like PCP , mescaline , THC , ludes with alcohol , pure codine , opium

then there was the pot as a lifestyle ,you know , wake up ,smoke ,start to come down ,light up again.
And some damn fine smoke it was.I had **** so brown it looked like tobacco and so blonde it looked like straw.Total screwups we were.Of course we drank continuosly.

If I did not get away and joined the military I do not know where I would be now.
Some of the old crew are buried , some doing time , a few never grew up and are still doing menial work ,only one or two doing well.

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:47 AM Post #53 of 64
Okay I will admit it. I am addicted to caffiene and nicotine. I have to have my cup of coffee and a cigarette before going to bed or I won't sleep well. Then I need a few cigs when I wake up. I also have to have coffee when I get up to clear out the bronchial tubes that are clogged from the cigs. It's a vicious circle. Quitting drinking was easier than quitting these damn cigarettes. Giving up pot was real easy after it started making me very sick every time I smoked any. I wish cigarettes would make me sick the same way, it would sure help in quitting.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Okay I will admit it. I am addicted to caffiene and nicotine. I have to have my cup of coffee and a cigarette before going to bed or I won't sleep well. Then I need a few cigs when I wake up. I also have to have coffee when I get up to clear out the bronchial tubes that are clogged from the cigs. It's a vicious circle. Quitting drinking was easier than quitting these damn cigarettes. Giving up pot was real easy after it started making me very sick every time I smoked any. I wish cigarettes would make me sick the same way, it would sure help in quitting.

I am/was overweight.

I chain smoked cigars.

I drank coffee like ...... a lot....caffiene.

March 3, 2001. About 10am. Two pots of coffee down me, and a few cigars in the morning. About 10:30am. In the hospital after an ambulance ride after suffering my first heart attack.
I told the doctor about the cigars and coffee, and he just rolled his eyes up. No doubt about it. A week in the hospital at first.
Four cardiac procedures in one month. I was 51.
Ya wanna smoke and drink caffiene like an addict? Well, my 80 year old aunt does, and drinks like a fish. Me? Almost dead at 52. Depends on your body makeup. YOUR GAMBLE.

I have not had a cigar since. I am not even supposed to have decaf now.

Oh yeah. The aunt has had bypass heart surgery, but still continues her behavior. She is so far, well.

Tobacco????? A KILLER.....giving you a slow death.

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #55 of 64
It's simple, really. Use your freakin brain, and don't get stupid with anything.

Those who abuse drugs and alcohol tend to have other problems in their lives, so it's often misguided to blame the substance.

That said, if you choose not to drink, good for you. More beer for me
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #56 of 64
advertising , peer pressure , ignorance , stupidity and like doing it.....
yes im talking about drug use.......

what else....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #57 of 64
I must be one lucky guy ... it takes a large amt. of alcohol to get me feeling drunk. Even then I have no tendency towards that substance. My lung problems in the past (which were bad) have prevented me from smoking.

Trust me one learns to appreciate a simple thing as breathing if you cant breath properly at all. Mucus clogs my lungs a lot. Also after visiting the steets of Bombay, India so often I realize that clean air is a luxury in certain places of the world. It's so hard to breath there.

My weakness: Sugar and Caffiene related products

I love coffee and tea though it's more from the taste rather than the buzz. I dunno what it is but I think it's my genetic makeup that prevents me from feeling a buzz using chemicals (I am lucky
biggrin.gif
). Nevertheless the caffiene is still there and is very dangerous.

Some people consume 3-6 cans of cola and other assorted fizzy drinks a day. Those drink are carcionogenic and dissolve your bones. Not to mention the high level of acidity and caffiene.

Who need drugs and alcohol when you have Cola, Caffiene and tons of sugar in almost everything we eat.

Even fast food sucks: high carbohydrates and everything at restaurants is "up-sized". Seriouisly who needs a giant burger with everything? A lot of us dont burn enough to need co much energy.

I think these things will kill as faster then we'll ever know it
frown.gif

And these substance are harder to avoid and give up. I've got a few buddies who can't give up caffiene (cola, coffee in particular) at all.

What to do?

BTW I love steak
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #58 of 64
Gotta clarify....

Disturbed wrote:
"Some people consume 3-6 cans of cola and other assorted fizzy drinks a day. Those drink are carcionogenic and dissolve your bones. Not to mention the high level of acidity and caffiene. "

Totally and completely WRONG! These drinks are not carcinogenic (or at least, no more carcinogenic than coffee and very likely LESS carcinogenic... see http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/mutagen/ames.hahn.html or just about anything written by Bruce Ames for more information), they do not dissolve your bones (despite what some folks might put out on the internet), they do not have a high level of caffeine (e.g., 12 ounces of Coke/Pepsi has ~ 45 mg caffeine. 5 ounces of coffee has ~ 100-200 mg caffeine... do you know anyone who drinks 5 ounce cups of coffee???) and acidity isn't a real issue (quick question: What's the pH of your stomach right now? If you haven't eaten recently, it's ~ 1 or 2).

Bruce

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #59 of 64
"Anyone who takes drugs and or gets drunk of a regular basis is weak minded and pathetic moron, period. "

Hmmm. Hey man, several generations of artists, writers, and scientists who liked to indulge in this sort of thing are rolling over in their graves.

And, many tortured souls who could trully not fnd peace have only found solace in the slow suicide of drugs and alcohol. War Veterans especially. I guess you are just lucky man, that you don't have anything to worry about, that your life is good enough that you aren't tempted by drugs and alcohol.

Now me, I haven't had a single beer in over a month, haven't even been around weed in much much longer so I think I can speak objectively on this topic. So objectively I can say KR that your statement was trully idiotic and seriously misinformed.

A lot of cultures have used "drugs" as a way of life. Cocoa leaves, peyote, marijuana, opium, mushrooms. They weren't even trying to get away from anythying, they were trying to find something in many cases.

It's weird man, but IMHO, and it's not something I personally enjoy, but the mind is a chemical machine, and there are chemicals you can put in it to temporarily change how you see the world, so if it suits you then why the hell not?

And skippy mentioned the plethora of vices that plague us all. Yeah, hes on to something, there are alot of fat, and I mean seriously overweight people in this town. I mean, they have a problem and it ain't drugs or alcohol. And their lives are going to be just as ruined as in they will be dead at a young age, so maybe we should ban chocolate or foods that are high in fat. No, people just need to approach drugs the same way they approach chocolate. Dont fear it, learn about it, consume it responsibly.

Jun 26, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #60 of 64
Caffiene is a drug and in certain cases is not good for you. In others it is a pleasant stimulant which can be moderatey but weakly addictive.

HOWEVER!!!!! I have heard of very few cases of caffiene causeing traffic accidents and killing people, except when maybe someone spilled hot coffee in their laps. That's primarily a function of poor coordination rather than the drugs effect.

Nicotine also can kill and is terribly addictive. Second hand smoke can be bad in high quantities. Again though, the only wrecks I've heard of are when people drop cigarettes in their laps. Again, poor coordination.

HOWEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drugs (mind or mood altering chemicals, numerous prescription and illegal substances, and occasionally even something OTC like Sudafed) or alcohol and vehicles is a known, highly deadly combination. Deadly to the, in this case truly, innocent 30,000 victims of this MURDER every year. And that is not even takeing into account the damage to the users own family or the thousands of seriously injured and crippled from this IDIOTIC behavior.

Get real people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back