Views on Drugs/Alcohol
Jun 15, 2002 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
Here's the situation I find myself in: I just graduated from high school and all of a sudden all my friends (there are exceptions) seem to think that a good time cannot be had unless you are a: drunk or b: stoned. Perhaps I'm just strange, but to me the amount of fun I have had has been inversly porportional to the presence of drugs and alcohol.

I just don't get it. How can people drug and drink themselves into a stupor, awake the next day in misery, not be able to remember what happened the night before, and call it fun?! I am begining to feel like I am the only one who doesn't understand this. Please, enlighten me!

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 64
If you don't want to, don't. Everybody has their likes and dislikes, some people like to drink and get stoned, some don't. I used to like to get stoned (a lot) but after a while, I quit. I don't regret a minute of what I did, but now I don't need/want pot or even alcohol.

Do what's right for you. And be cool about it. You will regret being a PC nag when you get older if you smite others with any 'superiority' about being straight.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 64
Well, I always had fun around drunk people. I actually act more drunk around drunk people than when I'm actually drunk!

There really is no fun in not remembering anything from the night before, in fact, it's downright scary as hell. Yet it seems to be a phase that a lot of people go through in thier late teens/early twenties. It happened to me once... and only once that I was so wasted I had absolutly zero memory of the previous night. I was in college and pledged that I would *never* do that again. I've been pretty wasted plenty of times sense but I better know my limits and I've *never* blacked-out since.

I get what would be considered a legitimate drunk probably once or twice a year anymore. My guess is this is what your friends would probably consider just a buzz. My rule of drunkeness is if I don't think I can drive, then I'm drunk. In my case this is usually 3 drinks over the course of an hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm *very* good about knowing my limits to operate a vehicle and err on the side of *extreme* caution. I would probably bet that my low-end limit I would still pass a test but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable. My rule of thumb there, when there is so much as the *slightest* doubt, don't do it. Of course, some people think they are fine after 10 drinks in an hour. I just hope they only manage to kill themselves and not take another poor soul out with them.

I think that the key word with anything is moderation and knowing your limits. Unfortunatly it usually takes a bad experience to learn those limits.

Remember, just because your friends are doing it doesn't mean you have to. In fact, you would be a much better friend if you stayed sober and made sure everyone got home safely. This was the road I choose more often than not when I was your age. Who knows, I may have saved someones life, maybe even my own or even yours (if you happened to be hanging out in Sarasota Florida about 10 years ago).

If they pressure you just remind them that if you pass it up it's more for them. That usually shuts them up. Also remember that you're the only one that can choose to feel pressured or not. If you do ever fall into the trap (and we all do at some time or another) do whatever you have to do to stay off the road no matter what. It's *much* better if your parents found out (assuming your still living at home) and kicked your ass than for you to kill someone on the way home. No matter what you're ultimatly responsible for your own actions.

And the most important thing, *NEVER* get wasted and post on Head-fi... Flasken can tell you what happens then. :wink:

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 64
CaptBubba,
don't worry too much about it, this only means that you are smart and strong willed.

Anyone who takes drugs and or gets drunk of a regular basis is weak minded and pathetic moron, period.

Don't worry about what other people do, and how they want to **** up their lives, you just worry about yourself and take care of your heath and well being.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 64
Yeah, I never understood the whole "must be drunk/stoned to have a good time" thing. If you can't find something interesting to do when sober, well, I'd look on that as a handicap. And one that probably gets more and more difficult to deal w/, as time goes on.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 64
Drinking is not a social thing for me, I like being drunk, period.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 64
ROFL! If you and Flasken ever get together...

Me, I'm more like Nezer. Let everyone else get drunk and watch them make fools of themselves.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Yeah, I never understood the whole "must be drunk/stoned to have a good time" thing. If you can't find something interesting to do when sober, well, I'd look on that as a handicap. And one that probably gets more and more difficult to deal w/, as time goes on.

Amen to that.

I can really relate to this, since at my school, I just might be the only one that doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or all of them or a combo of them.

Find other friends to go out with and have a good time: sober.

Let the drunks and druggies do their own thing.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 64
I'm getting too old for this shirt...that's the only reason I don't partake anymore (alright, that and my headphone/audio habit is much more expensive and doesn't leave any money for dilly-dally such as drugs and/or alcohol, much less Hershey Kisses and Ramen Noodles)...and yes, I hung around people who got drunk and stoned (I grew up in the 70's, it couldn't be helped). So I have developed a tolerance for those habits in my friends. Lately this has been less of the case, mostly because I don't have any friends.

OTOH, I've seen someone totally destroy themselves, so there is a point beyond which you must speak up. But...tread carefully. I have to admit to not knowing how to broach the subject.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
smily_headphones1.gif

If you get a chance, let us know in advance when your funeral is.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you are kidding.

I would never preach to you but I will share some thoughts.I see the effects of drugs and alchohol daily.They have ruined so many.I think that drug laws are stupid and counterproductive but I also think most drugs are bad.I wish there was a way for people to enjoy the effects of such things without them being so destructive.One of my best friends was killed on-duty in uniform by a drunk driver.I can't understand how someone could think that their right to be drunk is more important than Scott Guillen's right to live and raise his five kids.I hate drunks and drug addicts.my heart has been hardened by some of this **** I have seen.Many firefighters here have diseases that they have caught from drug addicts while trying to help them.Look at all the crime that stems from drugs.people are dying everyday so someone can get high.some days I want to scream when I come home from work.I don't go to bars,I don't hang around drunks and I have no sympathy for drug addicts and alchoholics.If they want to kill themselves that's fine by me,just stay away from me and my family and friends.

Sun (aka audio & me),You say a lot of really goofy stuff.I usually find it entertaining and get a good laugh from it.This is however,over the top even for you.If you go into the NAVY with this attitude and these problems they will break your ass in half.perhaps the NAVY is the best place for you to be.I promise you won't leave there in the same frame of mind.I want to see you succeed and I think you are a talented individual,but your personality as you have projected it here at head-fi is far beyond puzzeling.When I told you via pm that you confused me I thought you got the idea.I hold out hope that in person you are the nicest guy anyone could ever meet.In the back of my mind I know that you only post the stuff you do to irk people and get a rise.You can't possibly be the jerk that you portray here.I like you too much to believe that you would really say some of this **** to someone in person.If these forums are a release for your inner ******* say so,if your posts here are not a window into your true character,please clue me in.I don't like being wrong.I have stuck up for you in the past,this is something I don't do often.When you make an ass of yourself in a public forum like this you make me feel like a fool for being such a poor judge of character.I really think you are a good kid and that I and others here at head-fi are simply misunderstanding you.please don't make me feel any more stupid than I already do.thanks

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 64
Hehe, I'm usually goofing off in 99% of my posts. I really am a nice person, just ask DanG, we were the volunteers for the HeadRoom tour in Boston, and we spent the day after together.

Fred, honestly, I like to drink every once in a while. I would never drive intoxicated, or walk around plastered.
biggrin.gif
I realize I won't be able to drink once I'm in the Navy, but I'm not hooked or anything, I won't have a problem with it, no need for worry, I appreciate your concern though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 64
It's called responsibility folks! I usually drink like a pig 1, or 2 days a month. That means that anywhere from 93% to 96% of the time I am sober. Plan ahead of time when your gonna drink. Eat a couple hours before, and after your done. And, make sure someone drives your drunk ass to where your gonna be drinking, so you don't get in your car, and kill somebody else, or yourself. I know I have spent the night at people's houses before, and even walked home. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back