Video magazine test
Mar 19, 2006 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

markod

New Head-Fier
In the latest (4/2006) well-known german Video magazine (reference for video equipment) there is an article about the headphones for portable devices which includes the test of in-ear phones. They tested Shure E4C, Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro, Creative EP-630, Sennheiser CX300, Sony MDR EX 71 and Koss Spark Plug.

The results published were following:

1. Sennheiser CX 300 - 65 points (53 for sound + 12 mechanic)
2. Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro - 64 (49, 15)
3. Creative EP 630 - 63 (51, 12)
4. Shure E4C - 63 (49, 15)
5. Sony MDR EX 71 - 63 (50, 13)
6. Koss Spark Plug - 59 (47, 12)

Sennheisers were awarded as Testwinner with the best sound and Creative as Purchase Tip. What's even more wierd is that the far more expensive (5x) Shures and UE's got the worst sound points.

Comments?

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 17
eek.gif

I think I now remember why I quit reading magazines years ago.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markod
In the latest (4/2006) well-known german Video magazine (reference for video equipment) there is an article about the headphones for portable devices which includes the test of in-ear phones. They tested Shure E4C, Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro, Creative EP-630, Sennheiser CX300, Sony MDR EX 71 and Koss Spark Plug.

The results published were following:

1. Sennheiser CX 300 - 65 points (53 for sound + 12 mechanic)
2. Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro - 64 (49, 15)
3. Creative EP 630 - 63 (51, 12)
4. Shure E4C - 63 (49, 15)
5. Sony MDR EX 71 - 63 (50, 13)
6. Koss Spark Plug - 59 (47, 12)

Sennheisers were awarded as Testwinner with the best sound and Creative as Purchase Tip. What's even more wierd is that the far more expensive (5x) Shures and UE's got the worst sound points.

Comments?

For sound quality :

Superfi 5 Pro gets 49 points.
Sony MDR EX 71 gets 50 points ???????????

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
For sound quality :

Superfi 5 Pro gets 49 points.
Sony MDR EX 71 gets 50 points ???????????

Yeah, that is WAAAY off. They must have stuck them in the ears of monkeys, waited 15 seconds, and recorded their feet positions on a numbered Twister pad.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
Yeah, that is WAAAY off. They must have stuck them in the ears of monkeys, waited 15 seconds, and recorded their feet positions on a numbered Twister pad.

I agree
rolleyes.gif
new kind of technology they used.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Frequency response graphs were published as well.

Grequency graphs can only give you idea about the range of music drivers can handle. And many time it's even fails to do so. I saw somewhere K501 graph showing lowest frequency support then HD580 while people complaining about K501s lacking bass.

Also It cannot show you clearity, richness and feeling of the sound. Even some $1 phones can compete if you rely on frequency graphs only.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 17
One more example that according to Headroom graphs, sure e5c must shake your head. coz as per graph, it's capability of handling low's are better then any of the cans headroom reviewed. While we are reading an active thread for e5c complaint regarding bass.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm pretty sure that the Headroom FR graphs are fairly accurate. For example in their graphs the K501 indeed has a steep bass rolloff compared to HD580 (and everything else for that matter).

As for the E5c, I'm inclined to think that IEMs will not shake your head no matter what the FR. But certainly the graphs show that the E5c are the most bass heavy of all the IEMs (EB excepted) and I've never seen anyone say that any IEM with a FR graph suggesting less bass, has more bass than the E5c.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Comments?

I am not surprised at all. The CX300 are truly amazing. One of the best sounding headphones I own, all around. Sennheiser did an amazing job here.

--

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I'm pretty sure that the Headroom FR graphs are fairly accurate. For example in their graphs the K501 indeed has a steep bass rolloff compared to HD580 (and everything else for that matter).

As for the E5c, I'm inclined to think that IEMs will not shake your head no matter what the FR. But certainly the graphs show that the E5c are the most bass heavy of all the IEMs (EB excepted) and I've never seen anyone say that any IEM with a FR graph suggesting less bass, has more bass than the E5c.

Agreed with your word.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I am not blaming headroom. I just want to say that F. Graph can't show headphones sound. and sometime fails to perform according to graph practically. argueably you may describe that IEM's cant shake heads. But read this complain thread about e5c that he doesn't complain about shaking but bass amount and quality.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage

LOL!

There was another headphone test done by a very similar magazine (maybe even the same magazine!). They also used a points system, but that was not the problem. Their ratings were rediculous, just like in this review. I personally think that they're a bunch of BS that should be disregarded and ignored at all costs. I can't believe they rated the MDR EX71 and the EP630 above the E4c and S.fi 5Pro. I haven't heard the CX300, but they're probably not as good either! I have serious doubts about how this magazine reviews stuff. What is the name of this magazine? It's "name and shame" time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back