Video: Lambo vs. Toyota
Apr 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #107 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love that this is still going. it is really the debate of nothing versus something.

nothing equals a car that is not even in existence. it is a platform changed or tweaked into submission versus a car.

both are great i guess if you are into them but one is more apt to get you killed: the kit.

nice car, take care of it. kit car? drive it till you kill yourself or someone else on a road as all you want to do is show off - that was a dumb f'n thing to do. the whole video should be the debate. the drivers of both cars should be arrested and their cars confiscated.

if you endanger anyone else on a road like that, you are the dumb f and in the end, i hope the machine that brings you close to killing someone else will be destroyed.

im sure none of you have friends who have been killed driving like that or been killed by someone else driving like that right? well, save it for the track.

public roads, highways etc are meant for public, abiding citizens. pay money to kill yourself at a track, don't kill others for free. damn

Wow, I wouldn't expect that coming from somebody in Japan, where the entire automotive culture is surrounded by street racing. Racing on the Wangan is a HUGE thing...

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #108 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm saying anybody who is remotely into cars is going to give zero respect to some schmuck who can't even change his own oil.

As for the Supra, how exactly do you mean it isn't road legal? Are you saying any car with a roll cage is automatically illegal to use on the road? What modification on that car do you see that you could not do with a street car?

Parts that wouldn't pass emissions tests?

Quote:

And now you're making things up. I never said I was ALL about performance, otherwise in terms of dollars per pony, a cheap 1980s camaro with a built small block would be pretty hard to beat. All of my cars have full interiors and radios, but they've all been 'tweaked' a bit. Modifying a car intelligently requires research, knowledge, and abilities, all of which are attributes of being a car enthusiast. Those who just buy a fast car without doing anything themselves get no respect from me.

As you said: My point is that Supras are nice cars, and with a bit of money and effort become giant killers, capable of not only competing with cars 5x their price, but BEATING THEM on all fields. All fields.... hm?

Face it: you're a pretentious prick who thinks car enthusiasts with fast have to modify their cars in some way so they earn your respect.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #109 of 141
Man some of you guys got tangled up in semantics and your meaning VS other peoples' meanings. And ppl are mixing up class, performance, bang for buck, and justification for money spent on your car (I work on it vs I don't).

That Supra review was funny as hell
smily_headphones1.gif
So cheesy! But he made the single point: for the money, the car puts some more expensive ones to shame WRT performance. I couldn't give a rats bum about class, and I think if you were after bang for buck and only cared about performance too, you wouldn't own any of the current super cars. Please note, I'm NOT calling any of these modified cars classy. I like a lot of them, but 'class' is such a relative term (based on where you grew up, what you have/haven't seen, driven in, your economic and social standing compared to others etc). It's the reason a 'hillbilly' will call fancy, what many others would just call normal. "You wipe yer feet before goen in the shack? Shoot!" etc. (PS not taking a potshot, just a dumb example).

This kind of conversation hits rather close to home for me, because I own a 1997 Skyline (RWD, single turbo), that due to it's age/bad luck/me not accepting 'second best' (as far as my money will allow), has had basically EVERYTHING replaced or upgraded. For the purposes of this discussion, it is in the Supra camp. Relatively cheap and cheerful performance for the money. (I realise they are rare in the US, but here they are VERY common). Here in Australia, the current crop of Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, Mazda RX8 etc all cost between 60k to 80k. I nearly considered converting the costs to USD, but screw it, we're so close together now.

Anyway, stock power is ~180RWHP. I've replaced the suspension entirely (bushes and all), brakes upgraded, stereo upgraded (not tons of weight added, just better than stock), security system better than standard, upgraded clutch/tyres/wheels, NO body modifications (looks fine as is IMO). About to get it back from my mechanic with a new turbo/supporting mods, and a bunch of other bolt-on's, and it'll have ~350RWHP. I've done NONE of this work myself because I'm crap with mechanical stuff, but I've read a lot over the last 5 years and know the purpose of all the mods and why I chose what I chose. And btw, it's all legal.

Quote:

No, I'm saying anybody who is remotely into cars is going to give zero respect to some schmuck who can't even change his own oil.

I used to change the oil on my first car (Civic) cos it was easy, but my Skyline is lower, and it's a bit more fiddly. That and I can't be a55ed. Some people have busy jobs and other commitments. These don't make them any less car fanatics. Happy to lose your respect as a 'car lover' by your definition.

Anyway, other people with my turbo get BETTER response than stock (hence not a lag machine, it wasn't laggy to start with) and nearly twice the power through the entire rev range. And although I've spent twice as much on the car as the initial purchase price, I'm still a good 20-30k under any of the previously mentioned current cars. AND it'll blow them away on the track because I've done the suspension/brakes etc. It's not just a straight line one trick pony. Hell, I reckon I'll give my friend with a Supra and 470RWHP a run for his money because he hasn't done half the suspension work I have. BUT, neither his nor my car is "classy" compared to any SUPERcar. Nor do we have pretences that they are. Just a nice sports cars.

Noone heres' gonna 'win' any arguments so long as your mixing up class, performance and bang for buck (ALL entirely different things).

PS, having withdrawals from not having my car the past few weeks, in case ya didn't notice :p I thought I saw some funny conversations on the car forums I frequent, this is hilarious :p

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #110 of 141
Quote:

Yeah, there are a lot of what I would call ignorant people who WANT to be car people here. The ones talking about 'soul', and 'class'. Whatever. This is an audio forum, not a car forum. If I went to a car forum I'm sure there'd be more car enthusiasts who like their 'BOSE' home theater systems. :|

The opposite is true here. Lots of ignorance, but hey, at least you and I know who's really who.

Quote:

QFT.

The rest of the car posers around here can call themselves enthusiasts, as the real ones snicker at them for going to Jiffy Lube. Pathetic.

Quote:

The point is that modified supras HANDLE WELL, and are not 'just dragsters' like some retard on these forums keeps declaring.

You wouldn't understand, since it's quite clear you aren't an automotive enthusiast.

Quote:

Those who just buy a fast car without doing anything themselves get no respect from me.

It would seem that getting respect from you takes some effort. This is an audio forum as you have so elegantly reiterated but this is the Member's Lounge after all. You can also be sure that for all we know and seek to learn, we are all ignorant of that we do not know and have not yet learnt.

What is clear and perhaps something which has made this thread more than the sum of it's parts is that when we make or invest time in something, we invest a little or a lot of ourselves.....we give a little of our soul? How else could this raise such emotive responses, to the point where words like retard are used without regard....unless of course you meant retardation regarding the Supra's braking ability.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #111 of 141
Way to go Cash68, calling people ignorant, and dumb. Real classy. Honestly, read back at what you've written, and you should be ashamed of yourself. This is the kind of behavior that just wouldn't be tolerated in polite company, why on earth you feel the need to insult and demean anyone who has a different opinion than yourself is completely beyond my comprehension. I guess the anonymity of the internet is right up your alley.
Oh and don't think we didn't notice the thinly veiled insult in your other thread either. Absolutely disgraceful attitude. You're the first person in 3 years I've actually considered putting on my ignore list. Congratulations.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #112 of 141
As long as you don't go into the general forum that often, you don't have to worry about putting him on your ignore list, all his posts are in this section

perhaps it can be suggested that he's not too interested in audio gear

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #114 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parts that wouldn't pass emissions tests?

Like?

And I might be a prick, but only to people who I know don't know what they are talking about. Sorry.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #115 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy to lose your respect as a 'car lover' by your definition.

Fine with me. You might have a nice car, but you aren't a gearhead/enthusiast unless you turn your own wrenches when possible.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #116 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is clear and perhaps something which has made this thread more than the sum of it's parts is that when we make or invest time in something, we invest a little or a lot of ourselves.....we give a little of our soul?

Exactly that. It's not only a product of your labor, but ALSO of your mind, your faculty of reason, and your ability to think. One who merely just slaves away for a paycheck and pays someone else to do the work for him does not achieve the same level of understanding or satisfaction. You hit the nail on the head.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #118 of 141
I'm not flaming anyone, I'm just saying that people who have no inkling of how an engine works and can't even change their own oil are not real car enthusiasts. If they argue against that, they're posers, straight up. That is my opinion, and not meant as an insult.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #120 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course its all about status, life has always been about status... you dont usually see people trying to rank down from being rich to poor. I'm pretty sure everyone tries to work their way up.

I mean, if no one cared about status, what would promotion, pay raise, going to school all be for?

Sure you can be happy without buying something classy or expensive, but that doesnt really mean much if your life goal wasnt to strive for something better.

Oh... of course... aren't I foolish - what the hell was I thinking enjoying my life without status
rolleyes.gif

"Rank down"? You think everyone aims for a promotion & pay rise? So if you are enjoying life more than ever before by demoting yourself to a "lesser" position, earning a bit less cash, you have no "status" and therefore... what exactly... you're a failure? You will die? You will be miserable? Worthless?

"Life has always been about status"... you poor miserable status ridden fool... I honestly feel bad for you - you actually believe you are better than so many people around you who don't have "status". The sad truth is one day you'll recognise status for all it is... just like the georgeous young 19 year old supermodel everyone wants... until she's a fat ugly 30 year old mother (god forbid) like the rest of us.

Wake up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back