Video editing, anyone?
Mar 18, 2002 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
Anyone else here edit videos?

I've been using Ulead MSP 6.0 and was wondering if there is anything more powerful than it (Premiere and Vegas Video are about the same) that can run on my lowly P2... most of the discreet and pinnacle stuff needs some p3 lovin'...

Mar 18, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 15
I do it at work every once in a while when it needs to be done, and we use Premiere. Works really well. Never had anything we wanted to do but couldn't because of software restrictions. We've got a few add ons for it, but I'd have to check to see what they are.

Mar 18, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Anyone else here edit videos?

I've been using Ulead MSP 6.0 and was wondering if there is anything more powerful than it (Premiere and Vegas Video are about the same) that can run on my lowly P2... most of the discreet and pinnacle stuff needs some p3 lovin'...

More powerful requires more power, you either need more CPU speed or a dedicated video processing board. Those are expensive though, CPU power is much cheaper. You're in California, isn't there a Fry's nearby? They've got motherboard & CPU upgrade combos pretty cheap, less than half the price of any of the high end video packages. With a more powerful system it might breathe new life into MSP 6 and you might want to stick with the program a bit longer. If you still want to upgrade software though, I recommend Vegas Video 3 over Premiere. Check this revew from Digital Video Editing, they gave Vegas a 10 out of 10.

(HBZ)

Mar 18, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Ive run Premiere on my lowly AMD k6 266...albeit not very fast...but it ran. We have one Cassablanca Avio at School....i've used it on occasion..not very powerful...but its more reliable than using a PC. I think Premiere or VV3 are your best bets, both of them are more pwerful than Ulead in my Opinion...Ulead isn't as "pro" as Premiere or VV3..........If anyone wants to see my stupid movies, go HERE

Mar 18, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Premiere and Vegas are better than Ulead, but still a far cry from edit 6.5... guess it's about time to go to fry's...

PS- does anyone else have bad luck at fry's? half the mobos i've purchased from there were DOA.

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 15
hey...the casablanca avio is what i use too for simple video editing....i have an analog video editor as well, but i like the simplicity of the digital avio....

Ya it does everything you need to do quickly, simply, with no fussin' around. Only problems are that it's not a powerful machine, and its vid quality isnt great for pro movies, but its still more stable than pc's.

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 15
For around $450-$550 you could get a used iMac DV, and edit video with iMovie 2. Professional results, very easy to use and a lot faster than your current setup. I know three "Wintel" people that have bought iMacs simply for digital video editing, after seeing a video editing demo with my PowerMac G4.

Mar 20, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 15
yeah, I would totally go mac, but I don't have the cash. All my software is on "educational loan".

I got premiere 6 and combustion 2 and that's all I'll need, probably ever. I was comparing premiere 5 to Ulead, and they were about the same, but premiere 6 rocks the house! Thanks for the advice.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 15
but with the Mac, all of the video software that you need is included (along with a lot of other cool software--from productivity to games that are intended for children (alright, so they're still cool now)) and believe it or not, a lot of the software is decent. surprising stuff comming from a hardware manufacturer. I can't think of one piece of software that you would absolutely have to buy, so that might help the equation price-wise. good luck!

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Hey, no pressure. I figured with a new MB, Processor, and RAM, you'd be halfway to a used iMac already. The iMac comes with iMovie 2, so that wouldn't cost anything, and Firewire for a DV connection is built-in. Premiere ultimately has more features than iMovie 2, but I don't think I've ever felt like I was missing something I wanted with iMovie. iMovie is WAY easier to use, too.

Good luck with your upgrades.

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm not a fan of DV (Digital Video = NLE non linear editing), but the creative freedom is fun. I thought Adobe's offering was better than Apple's Pro software. Can't go wrong with Adobe.
smily_headphones1.gif
Real time on a G4. Mac's the only way to go for DV, get one.
wink.gif
If you're recording digitally, and you want to be serious about DV, you might want to invest in a good 10bit (you don't want contour and banding effect now do you?) capture card with lossless output. Digital Voodoo...

I prefer analog video, thus AB roll editing, but I'd never buy my own deck to do it, EXPENSIVE. I guess I'm a strictly analog type of person. I hate digital clocks/watches too,
biggrin.gif
Carb over injection, needle over lcd, crt over tft, list goes on and on...

Mar 20, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I prefer analog video, thus AB roll editing, but I'd never buy my own deck to do it, EXPENSIVE. I guess I'm a strictly analog type of person. I hate digital clocks/watches too,
biggrin.gif
Carb over injection, needle over lcd, crt over tft, list goes on and on...

Hey, if you like color bleeding, lower resolution, and generational degradation with every edit, go ahead and stick with analog.
wink.gif

Apple's Final Cut Pro is taking over the professional NLE industry. It has far more users than Premiere now, and the interface allows you to "simulate" AB roll editing. A lot of smaller shops, and some larger shops, are switching from the Avid gear to PowerMac G4 towers and Final Cut Pro.

Still, for home users, iMovie 2 is a lot easier to learn and gives professional results.

Mar 25, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 15
i bought a cheap DV editing package (firewire with software) half year before and I still can use it
mad.gif
Windows always shut it down because "illegal operation"

Mar 25, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Hey, if you like color bleeding, lower resolution, and generational degradation with every edit, go ahead and stick with analog.
wink.gif

Sounds like you're describing vinyl. Yes I absolutely love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back