Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Aug 17, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #707 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, that is my benchmark song too! that song is lovely on dynamic earphones. it does nearly nothing with balanced armatures.

the song: markus schulz mainstage.

Well, that's no conincidence, since I once asked you and you recommended it to me.
tongue.gif

And you're right, BA need not apply - here's a quote from my recent PL50 impressions:
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Markus Schulz - Mainstage / On A Wave (Trance, kudos to shigzeo!)
Sub bass on "Mainstage" is not really present with the PL50. These phones reach down to about 30Hz and they seem to do better with punchy bass than with a low rumbling, because on the second song bass is much more satisfying, fast and dry. And despite of heavy synth interference in the upper range, female vocals remain calm and smooth - but a wider soundstage would have benefitted the spacy feeling of the song.

Thanks again, it's really a phantastic benchmark for low bass rumble!
L3000.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #709 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James444,what tips are you using with the ie8 are they the foamies?

I'm using foamies under silicon tips (the original ones if I remember correctly):

james444-albums-album1-picture3195-ie8-tips.jpg

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #711 of 1,087
i see now james why you are getting that powerful bass from the ie8.i use the stock tips with the ie8 and they give me a decent isolation but not a great one and the bass is slightly reduced but everything else is phenomenal especially the huge soundstage.when i use the large foamy tips(i suppose those in your pic give the same results)the soundstage and treble are killed and the sound become muffeled and the instruments sound so thick for my ear.what i am trying to say is that the ie8 can have a strong bass depending on the tips,but even if i shove them into my ears with the large foamy tips,it cant beat the fx500 superb NATURAL bass
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #712 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using foamies under silicon tips (the original ones if I remember correctly):

james444-albums-album1-picture3195-ie8-tips.jpg

I have small ear canals so I can only use small tips, sometimes medium. I used the same tip mod as James with the medium comply tips(that came with the pfe) and small sony hybrids and they were just too big. Maybe if I got smaller complys off their website it might work but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #713 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see now james why you are getting that powerful bass from the ie8.i use the stock tips with the ie8 and they give me a decent isolation but not a great one and the bass is slightly reduced but everything else is phenomenal especially the huge soundstage.when i use the large foamy tips(i suppose those in your pic give the same results)the soundstage and treble are killed and the sound become muffeled and the instruments sound so thick for my ear.what i am trying to say is that the ie8 can have a strong bass depending on the tips,but even if i shove them into my ears with the large foamy tips,it cant beat the fx500 superb NATURAL bass
biggrin.gif

Like so often in these discussions I believe we've reached a point where comparability ends because our ears are all different. I get excellent soundstage even with these tips (clearly better than the good soundstage of the FX500) and the highs don't seem muffled to me. They're certainly less prominent than the bright and extended highs of the FX500, but IMO not muffled at all.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #714 of 1,087
Haven't visited this forum in over a year (my wallet thanks me). Last time I was looking for some good cans, this time a replacement for my 4 year old Sure E4s that just broke. I have been reading for the past two days straight about all types of IEMs and I think the FX500 are the ones for me. Other options in this price range that I am looking at are the RE0 and Klipsch S4. Can anybody make a comparison? It seems like the consensus is that the Victors are better than the RE0s, especially when concerning bass. Not much about the Klipsch S4 on here, just wondering because of the glowing review they got on CNET and some other sites sparked my interest. Just looking for an all around good IEM, and I do like my bass (since I listen to mostly Hip-Hop and R&B). Another important thing is comfort, since I always listen to music while I study and sometimes that can be hours on end. I get the sense that isolation isn't that great, am I correct on this assumption? Even thought I would like better isolation, by all the glowing reviews it seems like the pros more that outweigh the cons. Thinking about placing an order, just want some final opinions from the experts before I do. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #715 of 1,087
Ive just got a pair of FX500s today (3 days from japan, not bad!) and paired with my x1000 walkman, the highs are seriously harsh, I guess I'll wait and see what burn in does for them.

Just curious about the koss tips, which I read are all the same, the only ones i've found are on amazon:

Koss Expanding Foam Plugs: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

which are more like iem tips, and at almost £10 I don't want to get the wrong ones. Can anyone confirm these are the right ones?

Thanks.

@ PENNYoka isolation is somewhere between my ES7s and my HFI780s.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #717 of 1,087
@james444,
how is CK100 high compares to FX500's? If CK100 high is anything similar I am in big trouble b/c I just order CK100. Have you ever hear trance/techno on CK100? Is it unbearably bad?

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #718 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive just got a pair of FX500s today (3 days from japan, not bad!) and paired with my x1000 walkman, the highs are seriously harsh, I guess I'll wait and see what burn in does for them.

Just curious about the koss tips, which I read are all the same, the only ones i've found are on amazon:

Koss Expanding Foam Plugs: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

which are more like iem tips, and at almost £10 I don't want to get the wrong ones. Can anyone confirm these are the right ones?

Thanks.

@ PENNYoka isolation is somewhere between my ES7s and my HFI780s.

THOSE are the WRONG ones. They're not the Silicone Earcushions for the KE29S, Those are the Expanding Foamies for the Sparkplugs...

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #719 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@james444,
how is CK100 high compares to FX500's? If CK100 high is anything similar I am in big trouble b/c I just order CK100. Have you ever hear trance/techno on CK100? Is it unbearably bad?

Your wallet probably won't like this, but the highs on the CK100 are easily the best of all my IEMs. Smoother and even more detailed than the FX500's and at the same time non sibilant. Mids are less recessed but as you surely know from the imressions thread can be quite touchy. The bass is sufficient for me and has a slightly different texture compared to dynamic driver IEMs: it's fast and punchy but with less reverb. While it doesn't reach quite as deep as the FX500's it feels more controlled. Regarding genres I've tried them with Marcus Schultz, Oceanlab and Shpongle and find them excellent for trance. I don't really listen to techno though.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #720 of 1,087
I wish I could comment on the CK100. My CK10 remain till this moment, my favourite trance universal. So smooth, but from what I understand, a bit more neutral than the slightly bass-rolled off ck100, so they may not have as much a sweet spot. The cable was by far and away better. It survived many many kilometres of hard bike riding in the summer.

for that work, even better than the Westone cable. Absolutely no crystalisation at all. and for trance - stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back