Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
May 29, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #721 of 1,217
Your brain got burned in.
Try this to test "brain burn in ". Buy same two iems, burn one in for 250 hrs and do not even use the other. Now get ten friends and have them A/B the iems.

May 29, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #722 of 1,217
Just to make sure, buy 10 so that you have a better sample size. Or you can stretch things out to the 700 hours it took at increments of 70 to determine the progression of the actual burn-in effect. Then take out an advertisement in a newspaper, rent a venue, and pay 500 people to show up and try the iems to test result reliability. If you end up listening to the 10 iems longer than intended for the test, buy 10 more.

May 29, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #723 of 1,217
Just to make sure, buy 10 so that you have a better sample size. Or you can stretch things out to the 700 hours it took at increments of 70 to determine the progression of the actual burn-in effect. Then take out an advertisement in a newspaper, rent a venue, and pay 500 people to show up and try the iems to test result reliability. If you end up listening to the 10 iems longer than intended for the test, buy 10 more.
well heres a fact unlike your dreams. I bought two pairs of the jvc 10000 , I used one for a month and left the other in its box. Most prefered the one that was used. One was a treble head and liked the newer one. You keep enjoying you pretty sony iem.

May 30, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #724 of 1,217
Burn in is real. Sometimes it takes 300-500 hours for an iem to loosen up properly, any person with half an ear, a good ear, can make out the changes.
My RHA CL2 had to be sent in for repairs, the company replaced the left side driver, I had about 1200 hours on the iem at the time. When I got them back, the driver on the left had none of the textured bass response that the right one had, I was apoplectic, and was unable to enjoy the iem that I loved dearly before I sent it in.
Driven by frustration, I turned up the volume as high as it would go on my Sony DAP and blasted edm music through them for 2 days straight. . Came back to them, and the sound had completely opened up (I don't advise anyone to do this, at least not at max volume). Point being, if you have half way decent hearing, you can make out the changes, very easily, burn in is not a fairy tale.

May 30, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #725 of 1,217
...You turned up the volume as high as it would go and blasted music for two days straight? You're lucky you didn't get properly apoplectic and a brand new pair. How did they survive?

May 30, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #726 of 1,217
...You turned up the volume as high as it would go and blasted music for two days straight? You're lucky you didn't get properly apoplectic and a brand new pair. How did they survive?
For one. It was a Sony Dap, so volume all the way up is not the same as other daps.
Secondly, these are planars, so no chance of the coil blowing out. Thirdly, I am a dum@$$.

Thankfully, it worked out. I did not want to sit through another 500 hours of burn in, I was dreading it.

May 30, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #727 of 1,217
At the very least you advanced popular science by a step. When I had a planar headphone a balanced cable wasn't provided ostensibly because the maker feared it would be overpowered. It was an easy to drive one.

May 30, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #728 of 1,217
At the very least you advanced popular science by a step. When I had a planar headphone a balanced cable wasn't provided ostensibly because the maker feared it would be overpowered. It was an easy to drive one.
The CL2 is hard to drive, much harder than the IER-Z1R. Looking back on it, I took a crazy chance, and I wouldn't do it again, but the point being that yes burn in is real.
Also had a chance to now try out my newly blasted pair of CL2 with @cj3209 's pair, and they sounded different, much different, my pair had more textured bass, and smoother mids. We both noticed the same thing.
I think he said, my pair had more of everything.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #729 of 1,217
I think that “brain burn-in” is a factor though. When I tried to go back to the FW01: the sound was immediately harsher on my ears. I finally figured out that they have that earphone “bass pressure” that the FW10000 lacks—it somehow puts out the same kind of detailed bass without it hitting your ears as hard.

Anyway, for me, there’s no going back to the FW01.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #730 of 1,217
I think that “brain burn-in” is a factor though. When I tried to go back to the FW01: the sound was immediately harsher on my ears. I finally figured out that they have that earphone “bass pressure” that the FW10000 lacks—it somehow puts out the same kind of detailed bass without it hitting your ears as hard.

Anyway, for me, there’s no going back to the FW01.

Sounds like my experience with FX1200 and FW01. FX1200 gathering dusts now.

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #731 of 1,217
Jun 4, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #732 of 1,217
You moving up the ladder.

The next step is like is like a big big jump in spending. Kept giving myself excuses to postpone the trip to audition the FW10K. From @BlinkST 's post I see myself mirroring his preference for a more reference sounding gear. But for a poor guy, that's a plunge I am rather reluctant to to take and there is IER-Z1R too which I like...

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #733 of 1,217
The next step is like is like a big big jump in spending. Kept giving myself excuses to postpone the trip to audition the FW10K. From @BlinkST 's post I see myself mirroring his preference for a more reference sounding gear. But for a poor guy, that's a plunge I am rather reluctant to to take and there is IER-Z1R too which I like...
Well some jumps are like jumping off a moutain.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #734 of 1,217

You should definitely audition them before buying them. And they take hundreds of hours to settle in.

They continue to give me a whole new appreciation for my old music. Stuff by Kenmochi Hidefumi for example.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #735 of 1,217
Small thought: the FW10000 makes some details more prominent and easier to follow, to the point where this can influence the character of a song.

And on that note, I believe that they are worth every penny over the FW01. It takes a good while for them to settle and show their strengths, but now I’ve found myself enjoying them on another late night. Enjoying them far too much to go back to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back